C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa

vitali

I have three in Toronto as well.  I am still on 2.8 and I am using the driver that you purchase rather than the built-in C4 one.  But you don't need 4sight with this one so it saves you money in the long term.  There should be no issue with the Echo/C4 functionality in Canada. 

The only issue that I have found with using an Echo in Canada is that you have to give a location.  So instead of saying "Alexa, what's the weather?"  You say "Alexa whats the weather in Vancouver".  But you could set your Echo's location as Pt Roberts or Blaine and it wouldn't matter, assuming their weather is the same as in Van.  The other thing that won't work as well is things like having Uber to pick you up at home as you can't have your home set up in Canada.

I have three in Toronto as well.  I am still on 2.8 and I am using the driver that you purchase rather than the built-in C4 one.  But you don't need 4sight with this one so it saves you money in the long term.  There should be no issue with the Echo/C4 functionality in Canada. 

The only issue that I have found with using an Echo in Canada is that you have to give a location.  So instead of saying "Alexa, what's the weather?"  You say "Alexa whats the weather in Vancouver".  But you could set your Echo's location as Pt Roberts or Blaine and it wouldn't matter, assuming their weather is the same as in Van.  The other thing that won't work as well is things like having Uber to pick you up at home as you can't have your home set up in Canada.

Www.epic-systems.com

Works great in Canada. No 4sight required!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No we don't but we offer a 7-day no questions asked refund policy, so that's better than a 48 hour trial that most drivers have if you ask me. We have over 2000 users of the driver and only 2 have asked for a refund...

55 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Because that is correct if you are using the control4 way of doing it. They don't want to advertise our driver because it takes away from their 4sight revenue...

interesting, I'm glad I asked... What driver? Is there some another way to integrate it?

Because that is correct if you are using the control4 way of doing it. They don't want to advertise our driver because it takes away from their 4sight revenue...

Because they don't endorse any 3rd party drivers that are not certified. Got nothing to do with you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, thegreatheed said:

also because c4 doesn't endorse using products where and when they aren't supported. echo products are only supported in the US.

Untrue, Echo products have been supported in the UK and Germany since September of last year.  https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/post/Tx347QDN551BBTM/Alexa-and-Amazon-Echo-Now-Available-in-the-UK-and-Germany

1 hour ago, thegreatheed said:

Fine, it was a little unclear. Your response is off-topic. Post is about Canada.

Why doesn't C4 tech support provide detailed instructions on how to use Alexa in Canada? Echo isn't supported in Canada.

Wow. It is confusing......   So I can't integrate Alexa in Canada yet? I can integrate but not officially? I can integrate with 3rd part driver with out 4sign?

On 1/14/2017 at 8:45 AM, zaphod said:

Hi, so it works. sorry what driver did you use? Www.epic-systems.com ?

Thanks.

It depends what driver you want to use.  If you want to use the built-in Control4 driver then no, you can't.  But that requires 2.9 and a subscription to 4sight.

If you are willing to buy the Epic driver then yes, you can integrate it immediately.  As I said up above I use the Epic driver and it works perfectly and I am in Toronto.  In fact when it comes to integration with Control4, Alexa and the Epic driver I don't see how things in Canada are any different than for users in the US.  For "general" Alexa usage, by which I mean outside of Control4, you may have to supply Alexa with your location when making requests.

3 minutes ago, zaphod said:

It depends what driver you want to use.  If you want to use the built-in Control4 driver then no, you can't.  But that requires 2.9 and a subscription to 4sight.

If you are willing to buy the Epic driver then yes, you can integrate it immediately.  As I said up above I use the Epic driver and it works perfectly and I am in Toronto.  In fact when it comes to integration with Control4, Alexa and the Epic driver I don't see how things in Canada are any different than for users in the US.  For "general" Alexa usage, by which I mean outside of Control4, you may have to supply Alexa with your location when making requests.

ok, what can you recommend to use, Echo or Echo Dot? I think I'll use Epic driver.

Archived