C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa

vitali

The only difference is the speaker.  The Echo Dot speaker is not great for music, but it is fine for voice.  And the Dot is about 1/3 the price.  Other than that they are the same.  So if you expect to be using it for music get the Echo.

I have three in my house and I will add a few more when I get the chance.  You will end up wanting one in pretty much every room, and they are super-cheap compared to most C4 devices, as has been noted elsewhere.

You can use the epic driver, but on the echo setup, you have to give is a US, UK, or Germany location. It won't work with a Canada location. That means certain built-in capabilities of the Echo won't work like "alexa, what is the weather at home?" You would have to ask what is the weather at a specific city.

Using the Echo outside a supported territory is also technically a contradiction of the terms of service. No corporation will encourage you to break another's (especially an official partner) terms of service, thus C4 tech support won't tell you to do this. 

My point is: of course, TS didn't tell you how to do this. It's against Amazon's terms of service.

12 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

You can use the epic driver, but on the echo setup, you have to give is a US, UK, or Germany location. It won't work with a Canada location. That means certain built-in capabilities of the Echo won't work like "alexa, what is the weather at home?" You would have to ask what is the weather at a specific city.

Using the Echo outside a supported territory is also technically a contradiction of the terms of service. No corporation will encourage you to break another's (especially an official partner) terms of service, thus C4 tech support won't tell you to do this. 

My point is: of course, TS didn't tell you how to do this. It's against Amazon's terms of service.

For most Canadians giving it a US location is not that much of a downside as many of us are only a few miles from the border so things like timezone and weather will be the same as the given "home" address.  I live in Toronto and I use an address in NY state - on a clear day I can see across Lake Ontario to this location.  The OP is in Vancouver and he is even closer to the US.  If you live in Australia it might be a bit different.

In terms of violating the terms of service - I can live with myself for doing this and there are lots of services set up in Canada and other countries to allow us to stay on the leading edge of technology.  I bought an iPad in the US before they were available in Canada so I had to set up a US iTunes account to be able to download iPad apps.  I subscribed to Netflix before it was available in Canada and used a VPN or DNS spoofing service, etc, etc.  We aren't stealing anything, we are willingly paying for a product that may not be sold in our market.  

Archived