C4 Forums | Control4

Kwikset locks - anyone have issues?

3 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

If getting used that small amount of times, then that would lead me to believe that something else is wrong here.

Hmm, maybe a bad zigbee chip then, as you say it is close to a ZAP, right?  I'd have a call with Kwikset to see if they can determine that.  A bad chip can certainly drain batteries more than usual and also wreak havoc on the zigbee network.

That would be my first step if the newer batteries don't help.

thanks - i can call kwikset.  the first one I got from day 1 the motor always sounded like it was struggling.  the other 2 locks were fine.  after about 6 months and it not getting better I called them and they RMA'd the unit no issue.  The location of the door is the front door, so right when you walk in there are 3 c4 switches/keypads on the wall to control stuff in the foyer and maybe 15-20' away is my living room that has a HC-250.  the here is an HC-800 in my basement that is the main controller but I'd think the 250 is helping the signal too along with those light switches.

Is the 250 setup as a ZAP?  If it's too close to the 800, which I assume is zigbee coordinator and zapco, that may cause undesired performance.  How far is the 800 from the 250?

Have you tried changing the mesh? Keep the 800 as zigbee coordinator but change the 250 to be zapco?  That may help in less hops for devices.

Unfortunately, it's all speculation from my end without knowing what the lay of the land is.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Is the 250 setup as a ZAP?  If it's too close to the 800, which I assume is zigbee coordinator and zapco, that may cause undesired performance.  How far is the 800 from the 250?

Have you tried changing the mesh? Keep the 800 as zigbee coordinator but change the 250 to be zapco?  That may help in less hops for devices.

Unfortunately, it's all speculation from my end without knowing what the lay of the land is.

i appreciate the speculation - gives me something to discuss with my dealer.  the 250 and 800 - hmmm, one is in my basement, one is on the first level.  250 is in the middle of my house, and i guess they are 30-40' away?  so like go to the HC 250, walk about 20-30', then go 1 level down and the HC 800 would be there...

It's certainly a theory to run with.  Since the latest OS releases, Zap's do not need to be within zigbee range of the controller running zapco.  With that said, if you have zap running on both controllers and there is a large amount of overlap, you could be weakening your mesh and not strengthening it.

Like I said before, I don't know the environment, but experimenting with placement of the controllers and what processes each one runs can certainly achieve better results than what you currently have.

Good luck!!

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Since the latest OS releases, Zap's do not need to be within zigbee range of the controller running zapco

While that is true for the stated 250/800 situation, to clarify for general readers - this is NOT quite accurate. HC250/800 and EA controllers running ZAP do not need to be in zigbee range anymore - older controllers still do.

While that is true for the stated 250/800 situation, to clarify for general readers - this is NOT quite accurate. HC250/800 and EA controllers running ZAP do not need to be in zigbee range anymore - older controllers still do.

@CyKnight

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this. I at first read it and thought"Awesome" then remembered. And saw your post.

Happy Automating!

Archived