C4 Forums | Control4

New to Control 4

BillyBKC

I am new to Control4 so please forgive me if my questions are dumb or have been answered a million times on here.

I am in the process remodeling a home and have it down to the studs.  I have run speaker wire, Cat 5, and Cat 6 from all speakers and TVs to an area in my basement that I think I will rack everything if I go with Control 4.  I want Control 4 but the cost may be above my budget.  To try and get Control 4 in my budget I have been looking at less expensive pieces that work with Control 4 (Insteon Switches, etc).  

Question 1: While I have my walls open is there anything that you would do, besides run speaker wire, Cat 5, Cat 6?

Questions 2: What cost cutting hardware items would you recommend? I am looking for recommendations on the following: light switches , HDMI 4k Audio matrix, door locks, light bulbs, etc

Thanks for your time in advance and sorry for the elementary questions.  

for locks I'd stay with C4 stuff.  I am having issues with some Kwikset locks, but I seem to be in the minority.  Yale and Baldwin I think have options too.

There are tons of Matrix available for video, the good ones, C4 or non C4, are expensive.  Why do you need a matrix?  Is it possible to get Tivo and put a few Tivo minis behind tvs?  Maybe get some Fire TV or Roku sticks as well behind each tv?  Now you are talking $100's vs $1,000's.  I have a matrix from the get go of my C4 implementation.  There are 1-2 small benefits I get with my IP matrix, mostly text on screen and video on screen, so if someone rings a doorbell I can see on my TV who is at the front door.  if I had to do it over, I would likely nix the Matrix and just get local hardware at each set top.  Now that streaming is so strong, I have not put a disc in my blu ray player in over 2 years, I stream everything from Netflix, Amazon, my personal NAS, etc.

Light switches you can go another route and save maybe 30-50%.  you will have to buy a hub and do extra programming and maybe buy some driver(s) to get it working but its possible and people will chime in.  the good thing about c4 lights is that they increase your zigbee signal so it helps create a robust network in your house.  the ability to single/double/triple tap is great.  also they are modular, so put them where you need them and as time goes on, you can buy more and add them later, they do not require special wiring, just the standard wire already in place.

What are you planning on doing for audio services in the house?

the original install is most expensive, after that, if you think your local dealer is too expensive, there are some remote dealers on this site that can help you out.

also when the walls are open, run conduit so its easier in the future to add more wire when needed.  

1. I'd install the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. I would run wire to every sensor or security device you might want. I'd include smoke, fire, CO as needed. I'd definitely put in the HDMI cables that run from the TV to local boxes you might have connected. I'd consider @Matt Lowe's recommendation of Celerity HDMI over fiber for longer runs from your basement to the TVs. But if you do go with a video matrix, I'd save money and get one with the HDbaseT transmitter built into the matrix (I'm not speaking from experience, just seeing it demo'd at a Houston dealer). If you think you might ever use powered shades or blinds, I'd run the appropriate power to each window. Powered shades I have seen are a lot quieter than the battery powered option. If you do the Clark W. Griswold thing with exterior illumination, I'd run power out the soffits. Seriously, when you are down to the studs, you want to get to those places you'll never be able to crawl to in the attic. I would run Cat5e or Cat6 to every location where I might want a computer or printer. Wireless is convenient, but I've never gotten a call from my wife that she couldn't print to a wired printer. Control4 wand remotes and other manufacturers' remotes are rechargeable -- so you need power to to where the remote is going to live or be kept. Floor power outlets are loved or hated. Our old house had recessed boxes with a flat top cover. Much better than the current ones we have where the outlet is flush with the floor. Not much you can do if on concrete. Most switches and lights require a neutral -- at least you have more options with a neutral -- if you are considering a re-wire.  

2. Alexa and Siri were adopted members of my family at a rate that I did not expect. I'd put a lot of weight on devices that have Alexa skills and Homekit integration. As far as cost cutting hardware goes, this forum has proved to be invaluable. See the for sale section. I purchased a demo 4 zone matrix amp for $350 vs. $1200 new. A dealer's complete networking system for half price used, vs. new -- and it is not "last year's" version or old tech -- exact same stuff a local dealer wanted to sell me.

That being said, I went way over budget on my renovation and was too impatient to save up the $12k my local dealer quoted me for an extensive, complete installation. I deeply regret that decision.

Archived