C4 Forums | Control4

Best Thermostat For C4 Install

Drake0508

Hey guys,

just winderung if if you could comment on the best choice for thermostat. I currently have an Ecobee3 but it is causing problems with my system. There are plenty of choices but I'd really like it to work well with C4. I'm also seeing similar stories about the nest thermostat acting funny. 

It is causing issues with the auxiliary heat. I'm in Florida so please know it isn't all of the time. The last several weeks or so it has switched to auxiliary. I had my AC company out to look at the upstairs unit for an unrelated issue. I had him look at it and he didn't think it was performing correctly. He looked at the wiring and it was fine. Basically I'm waking up to a freezing house because the heat shuts off due to the aux heat running for greater than 180 minutes. Makes the ladies in the house very unhappy. I was wondering if I'd be better off with a slightly dumber thermostat that can connect by wifi or zigbee. 

20 minutes ago, Drake0508 said:

Hey guys,

just winderung if if you could comment on the best choice for thermostat. I currently have an Ecobee3 but it is causing problems with my system. There are plenty of choices but I'd really like it to work well with C4. I'm also seeing similar stories about the nest thermostat acting funny. 

Get C4 thermostats. No cloud dependent. And honestly, a thermostat is a thermostat. My Nest was acting up this past weekend. I had to pull it from the base and charge it with a USB cable and charger. It was refusing to charge from the connections.

It is causing issues with the auxiliary heat. I'm in Florida so please know it isn't all of the time. The last several weeks or so it has switched to auxiliary. I had my AC company out to look at the upstairs unit for an unrelated issue. I had him look at it and he didn't think it was performing correctly. He looked at the wiring and it was fine. Basically I'm waking up to a freezing house because the heat shuts off due to the aux heat running for greater than 180 minutes. Makes the ladies in the house very unhappy. I was wondering if I'd be better off with a slightly dumber thermostat that can connect by wifi or zigbee. 

That's a setting. You need to configure that in the device settings screen on the ecobee. Contact ecobee support. They are great and will get you sorted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's a bummer about the Nest dying. I wasn't sure how well the C4 thermostat worked. It I guess you are right, a thermostat is a thermostat. 

I have had had support from ecobee try to help me. I can't remember what we discussed. I can call them again. Like I said, here in Florida there aren't many opportunities to test the heat. 

54 minutes ago, Gnarlynickb said:

Remote capability? My Nest app works anywhere.

Not really.  It works on the wall you mounted it to.  It has no idea what is going on elsewhere in your edifice, which the eccobee remote sensors provide data for.

thank you everyone for the info and suggestions. I will look at this again. I like having remote temperature sensors but at the end of the day, it's just information. I can't really do anything about it. I have looked at smart vents but was told by my HVAC tech it's not a good idea to shut vents off. I may just go with the offering from Control4

thank you everyone for the info and suggestions. I will look at this again. I like having remote temperature sensors but at the end of the day, it's just information. I can't really do anything about it. I have looked at smart vents but was told by my HVAC tech it's not a good idea to shut vents off. I may just go with the offering from Control4

What do you mean you can't do anything with it? You can change your hvac settings to modify what seems sensors participate in the schedule and therefore alter the temp in selective areas

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Drake0508 said:

Nonsense.  You can shut vents off all you want as long as its not all of them :) We do this in 1 of our houses and it works well but was not cheap.

You certainly can do a lot with the remote sensor data if you want.

I went from C4 tstats to Nest.  They both have advantages depending on your situation.

Maybe I'm misguided. My thought was this. I have three sensors plus the thermostat. My daughter's room is the coldest. All say 75 but hers says 73. If I include all in the sleep mode, it averages to 74 but that doesn't really make it colder in my room. It just prevents her Room from getting colder. Am I wrong regarding the temp sensors?

thanks for telling me about the vents! Maybe that is the solution I'm looking for in the end. 

Maybe I'm misguided. My thought was this. I have three sensors plus the thermostat. My daughter's room is the coldest. All say 75 but hers says 73. If I include all in the sleep mode, it averages to 74 but that doesn't really make it colder in my room. It just prevents her Room from getting colder. Am I wrong regarding the temp sensors?

thanks for telling me about the vents! Maybe that is the solution I'm looking for in the end. 

You understand how they work. Without smart vents it's hard to totally level it. The sensors only help. There is a smart vent that integrates with ecobee. I talked to the product team and wasn't 100% impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Archived