C4 Forums | Control4

Thoughts on QNAP NAS

adam333

my READYNAS is about to die....again.   done with netgear.

What i use it for

-store 200 movies...use plex to stream with dune

-use it to store security camera footage.  (I believe this is the biggest drain on the system, because its constantly writing)

thinking about this one

QNAP TS-451 4-Bay Personal Cloud NAS, Intel 2.41GHz Dual Core CPU with Media Transcoding (TS-451-US)

curious - not to steal your thread, but I have a Netgear ReadyNas NV+.  going on 6-7 years and always afraid it may go soon.  How do you plan to migrate from your ReadyNas to another platform?  Is it a tough task or just link them up via USB or ethernet and transfer over?  I have well over 2 TB of music/movies and then I back up a Windows 10 and Mac computer to my NAS.

2 hours ago, adam333 said:

my READYNAS is about to die....again.   done with netgear.

What i use it for

-store 200 movies...use plex to stream with dune

-use it to store security camera footage.  (I believe this is the biggest drain on the system, because its constantly writing)

thinking about this one

QNAP TS-451 4-Bay Personal Cloud NAS, Intel 2.41GHz Dual Core CPU with Media Transcoding (TS-451-US)

Plex will not stream to Dune.  You most likely mean that you use our plex media server driver to import the plex library into Control4 in which case yes that will continue to work.  QNAP has Plex Media Server as one of their apps which is easily installable within their dashboard.  They also have what they call surveillance station which allows recording of various IP cameras.   Since you are not transcoding via Plex this should be fine.

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

curious - not to steal your thread, but I have a Netgear ReadyNas NV+.  going on 6-7 years and always afraid it may go soon.  How do you plan to migrate from your ReadyNas to another platform?  Is it a tough task or just link them up via USB or ethernet and transfer over?  I have well over 2 TB of music/movies and then I back up a Windows 10 and Mac computer to my NAS.

QNAP has built in RSYNC functionality.  You can create a task to sync up another folder on the local network.  Another cool trick is you can set it up to update and mirror a folder.  I  have two QNAPs and do a daily backup of the family photos on the first QNAP to the second QNAP as an extra precaution.

You can also setup the QNAP as a time machine backup destination as well for your Mac backup.

Another cool trick you can do is one touch copy to the front usb.  You setup to either backup the usb to a folder on the nas or folder on the nas to the usb.

It will also do cloud based backups as well to services like Amazon S3.

1 hour ago, David Paxton said:

avoid the x51 series or anything with a ARM cpu.

I run a TVS-671 and that replaced a 651.

Plex transcoding is very CPU intensive and a I3 is rely the minimum I would recommend based on previous experience.

he's not doing plex transcoding.. he's doing direct play on a dune

• 11 months later...

Any thoughts on what QNAP rack-mounted NAS to get?  Is there another rack-mounted NAS that is recommended?  QNAP does recommend any specific units for Control4 that are rack mounted.

I am dumping my Dune player and planning on incorporating Plex for the first time into my Control4 system. Letting Control4 system handle music playback.  Any thoughts?

15 hours ago, Glloyd77 said:

Any thoughts on what QNAP rack-mounted NAS to get?  Is there another rack-mounted NAS that is recommended?  QNAP does recommend any specific units for Control4 that are rack mounted.

I am dumping my Dune player and planning on incorporating Plex for the first time into my Control4 system. Letting Control4 system handle music playback.  Any thoughts?

I had a QNAP>Dune set up and dumped the Dunes for Kodi boxes...

I still have a QNAP. It both acts as a upnp NAS server to a couple Kodi boxes and has HDMI out into one direct zone. ie The NAS itself runs Kodi with output on the HDMI@1080p

I am waiting until QNAP has an upgrade path on that HDMI out to HDCP2.2 and 4K before I swap out that QNAP.... 

I think I will be waiting a long time :)

I love QNAPS for other reasons. Great GUI. Never fails. Easy to upgrade. Reliable. Great SMB shares direct into OSX.. (so you can mount the QNAP share within OSX and drag files from within your mac straight onto the QNAP) and What AlanC and the others said. QNAP is awesome. 

If I was putting in a QNAP rack mounted NAS now, I would get the fastest I could afford and put SSD's into it.. Cheers. 

Here's a vote for unRAID.  It is more DIY but you can throw more processing power on it and use it for a lot more than a file server.  Like run Dockers with Plex, Unifi, Apache, Nginx, SageTV, etc. and have Windows and Linux VMs.  Plus it is very flexible in terms of adding hard drives - the only main rule is the parity drive must be the largest drive on the system.

7 hours ago, Glloyd77 said:

What are the chances that QNAP is going to be coming out with HDCP 2.2 and 4K relatively soon?

Diddly squat. ie a big fat ZERO chance IMHO. I asked on their forum and got a very luke warm response. Such is the constraints that HDCP and the HDMI cartel put on innovation and doing things a bit different these days. You simply have to toe the line and do it the cartels way whether you like it or not -  even if you are a content paying customer and they force you to feel like you are "living in the 70's" all over again.... W 

Any benefit to hdmi with qnap?

currently I have an old readynas I want to replace before it goes.  I was thinking about a rack mount qnap or synology to free up shelf space in my office

rigjt now I stream iTunes on readynas via sonos and I have movies on the readynas I play via kodi on Fire TVs at each tv

i have an extra few hdmi inputs on my net play matrix so if I rackmount a NAS it’s right next to the net play unit.  

Would I get a nicer UI or experience playing from qnap direct or still have to go thru fire tv?

not sure why this confuses me but it does :-).  Getting a rackmount w hdmi is 999 and up but I can get one sans hdmi for under 600.  People point to specs but I’m rolling a 7 year old NAS and I stream 1080p no problem.  Have to assume whatever I get will do 4K fine.  2 person house so we do not have 5 users streaming heavy at the same time 

6 hours ago, eggzlot said:

currently I have an old readynas I want to replace before it goes.  I was thinking about a rack mount qnap or synology to free up shelf space in my office

rigjt now I stream iTunes on readynas via sonos and I have movies on the readynas I play via kodi on Fire TVs at each tv

i have an extra few hdmi inputs on my net play matrix so if I rackmount a NAS it’s right next to the net play unit.  

Would I get a nicer UI or experience playing from qnap direct or still have to go thru fire tv?

not sure why this confuses me but it does :-).  Getting a rackmount w hdmi is 999 and up but I can get one sans hdmi for under 600.  People point to specs but I’m rolling a 7 year old NAS and I stream 1080p no problem.  Have to assume whatever I get will do 4K fine.  2 person house so we do not have 5 users streaming heavy at the same time 

The QNAP with direct HDMI out is good for folks with streaming and network issues as it just plays the files straight off the RAIDED discs into the TV/Receiver/in your case matrix. Mine is the 470Pro I think which is now 4-5 years old HDMI 1.4 1080p. As I have said above there is zero talk right now of a QNAP with HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 4k capable on that HDMI output.. This doesn't mean you can't get QNAPS that will stream 4K files onto a network. You can. Just needs enough grunt and RAM. > Regarding streaming 4K just get a QNAP with known compatible specs 4k handling/streaming specs. Enough RAM and faster enough processor etc. Details are on their website. Same as for any receiver box > you need grunt. .. There were HDCP issues with my QNAP into a Leaf matrix I had once. Basically wouldn't handshake. I now run HDMI straight into one zone which frees up needing another XBMC player in that room. It runs XBMC direct on the QNAP (there is an app yuo download off the QNAP app store) and the AChow driver controls XBMC on there like any other Linux based XBMC. Like I said  it's great for folks who only want one zone, don't have a network (say for a cabin) and being not dependant on network for playback just acts like a giant Sony 400 disc player. Robust and always works. But obviously not essential in your case. I run linux for XBMC for all my XBMC playback boxes (other than that on a PC/MAc). I know AChow says go Android but I just love the stability of Linux. Never had a problem running his XBMC drivers on Linux, (I think the QNAP runs Ubuntu?? might be wrong on that), Lireelec or Openelec. I run all three :) Cheers. 

14 hours ago, eggzlot said:

If your current setup (other than the aging NAS) works well for you, then I'd stick with that and not worry about getting a NAS with HDMI.

Let the NAS do what it does best, store & serve data, and use your existing media players to deal with the playback of content stored on the NAS.

We have a couple QNAP TS-1263U's at work for a small project, but I am not overly impressed with them vs. Synology. They have been unstable at times on the software side and their support with the issues we've had has been lackluster in my opinion considering the cost of these units.

Archived