C4 Forums | Control4

Pantry and closet lights

I have a couple scenarios where lights get left on quite often.  Looking for a few suggestions on my use cases and hardware.  One consideration that may factor in.  Im also thinking about setting up a security panel as the house is wired for it.  I suspect some of the suggestions might involve motions, I bring all this up because it makes sense to me that motions should or might also need to work with the panel I choose.  I dunno just thinking out loud at this point. 

I'm also looking for suggestions on more widely available timers, as I'm not sure I want to spring for c4 switches for the overly simple scenario, although i haven't ruled it out either.

1. Mudroom - Open to the kitchen, a motion doesn't seem to make sense here.  maybe just switches and simple timer.
  2. Pantry - Walk in pantry, "L" shaped.  Door gets left open because the dogs food and water bowls are in there.  Seems like a switch and a simple timer.  Maybe I could use a motion as the shape might work so it can't "see" into the kitchen.
  3. Closets -  Master closets get closed to keep the dogs out.  Seems like a door open close sensor would work here.  Maybe open door, light goes on, door closes light goes off.
  4. Daughters bedroom, bathroom light and fan.  No security wires for a motion in her room.

Can a security motion also be used for occupancy?

sorry for the simple questions just beginning to look into all this.  Also curious what others have done.  I'm happy to hear suggestions.

I hear good things about the card access stuff and the axxess industries.  What do you guys recommend and are there good options for wireless recessed sensors for some of these options?  

When it comes to closets etc I think we get a bit excited about putting Control4 or some integration in there. If it is just a closet then install a cheap ceiling mount motion sensor with a timer ... costs about $20 ... not connected to Control4 or anything else, just works when you go in and switches off when your not there.

1. Mudroom - Open to the kitchen, a motion doesn't seem to make sense here.  maybe just switches and simple timer.
  2. Pantry - Walk in pantry, "L" shaped.  Door gets left open because the dogs food and water bowls are in there.  Seems like a switch and a simple timer.  Maybe I could use a motion as the shape might work so it can't "see" into the kitchen.
  3. Closets -  Master closets get closed to keep the dogs out.  Seems like a door open close sensor would work here.  Maybe open door, light goes on, door closes light goes off.
  4. Daughters bedroom, bathroom light and fan.  No security wires for a motion in her room.

1. what i do with mine is the door has a sensor and my motion in the wall way picks up people going into this room. so opened with the door or if motion is detected i have a 5 min timer to turn off the light

2. small pantry or closest i have used motions in a few forums. wireless or wired if money is no object with a c4 switch. if budget is a factor we will through in one of the motion sensors switches from home depot they have an extremely wide angle most them and work well enough.

3.  Nyce has some micro wireless zigbee sensors on the cheap which would work great

4. nyce sensors again. if v2 lights they do have an auto off function as well.

I thing I forgot to mention.  We have at least 3 closets where the switch is outside the closet.  So outside switch location vacancy\occupancy sensors don't make sense at all.  Its quite annoying.  anyway  Simple timers would likely work in some cases.  The master closets I think need to be motion based so it isn't shutting off while my wife is in and out of there for her morning routine.

All of these suggestions are great.  I really appreciate the hardware suggestions, I hadn't consider Nyce at all.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:40 AM, NextGenAV said:

When it comes to closets etc I think we get a bit excited about putting Control4 or some integration in there. If it is just a closet then install a cheap ceiling mount motion sensor with a timer ... costs about $20 ... not connected to Control4 or anything else, just works when you go in and switches off when your not there.

Is there a particular setup you like?

On 1/13/2017 at 4:02 AM, msgreenf said:

I use a combination of Vista wireless sensors and control4 wireless sensors.  I haven't done anything with pantries or closets because I dont see the ROI.

Is there a particular criteria you look at when you decide between a control4 sensor vs your vista system's sensors.  btw what do the C4 wireless sensors look like?  Do they also have "hidden" sensors for doors and such?

1 hour ago, Adidaswood said:

Is there a particular setup you like?

Yes, I'm not in the US, so brands may be different. But any electrical outlet will have ceiling mounted PIR sensors that can be connected to lights.

The PIR needs a permanent 120V feed and the output goes to the light fixing.

In the UK I may use:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPIRFL.html

I thing I forgot to mention.  We have at least 3 closets where the switch is outside the closet.  So outside switch location vacancy\occupancy sensors don't make sense at all.  Its quite annoying.  anyway  Simple timers would likely work in some cases.  The master closets I think need to be motion based so it isn't shutting off while my wife is in and out of there for her morning routine.

All of these suggestions are great.  I really appreciate the hardware suggestions, I hadn't consider Nyce at all.

Is there a particular criteria you look at when you decide between a control4 sensor vs your vista system's sensors.  btw what do the C4 wireless sensors look like?  Do they also have "hidden" sensors for doors and such?

If I want a zone included in the alarm I use a Vista sensor. If I want it for lights only I use c4

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

For things like bathroom fans I use a Leviton countdown timer switch. No automation tie-in required and you can have the fan stay running for various preset amounts like 60/30/20/10 minutes.

For our pantry and walk-in closets where the switch is inside, I'm using Lutron Maestro occupancy sensing switches. They're cheap, easy to install, and have the added advantage that you don't need a neutral. Our house is only 2 years old, but the builder's electrician did "switch leg" wiring for the closet switches. Hot runs into the ceiling box first, then there's a 14/2 run down to the switch, so you can't use a typical automated switch that requires a neutral. You can use some of the C4 switches without a neutral if you have incandescent bulbs, but now that I've done it, I much prefer the lower tech (and lower cost) Lutron solution.

For places where the switch is outside the closet, you could go with a C4 switch and use the auto-off timer feature, or use programming to make sure it doesn't get left on. Alternatively, Lutron has solutions that use a battery powered occupancy sensor you could mount in the closet, with the companion switch on the wall outside. I'm not sure if that would be any cheaper than using a C4 switch, but it is pretty nice having the closet & panty lights come on automatically as soon as you walk in, especially if you're carrying something like a laundry basket.

http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocumentlibrary/367-1768.pdf

On 1/14/2017 at 9:58 AM, Adidaswood said:

oh ok

didn't realize those were "Control4" sensors you were talking about.  I thought you were referring to Card Access.  

What's the diff as C4 bought CardAccess a few years ago.

just getting clear because it seems they are referring to all these zigbee sensors as C4 sensors and the difference is that they all seem to come in different sizes, shapes, and have different product lineups and features. 

For example on the c4 website i don't see a recessed door sensor, but on the axxess industries website there is one.

I'm just trying to understand all the available options.

Axxess is NOT Card Access. Two completely different companies.

Control4 didn't buy Card Access by the way, they just bought the rights and licensing for the Card Access InHome products (which is all the stuff Card Access made for C4 integration).

Control4 also SELLS the compatible Nyce senors as partner products - not sure but don't think Nyce sells those direct and just because it's Nyce, doesn't mean it'll work with Control4, much like Kwikset or Yale for locks etc.

Archived