C4 Forums | Control4

Plex Full Driver

So by now anyone that has used Plex loves it :-) I have it running on all my Samsung TVs, I use the "native" app (the one that comes in the Samsung App store for the TV) no need for another device. I was looking at tighter integration into my C4 and came across the Plex Full driver https://www.houselogix.com/shop/plex-full I love the drivers from Chowmain, so I thought let me download, give it a try (since they always have the very cool 48 hour trial period).

Now while testing I could get it installed, talking to my Plex server (my home server that runs all my media (Windows 10 Machine) I did "Find Local Server" it populates all the relevant info etc, typed in my Plex user and password, generates the token...

So all is good in the land, even could see the library in the navigators. 

Now where it all comes crashing down (and most prob me doing something wrong), If I am doing - "Find Local Client" to populate the ID of the local client (I have the Samsung TV lets say in my Daughters on and Plex open etc) - it doesnt find the client - yes its on the same network, it can see the server that the driver found on "Find Local Server". 

So I go to my bedroom and turn on my Samsung TV open Plex and try the same thing - Still doesn't find my TV (any of the five in the house...)

I open a browser from my PC to my Plex Server to check if the Driver actually registered itself (to check coms) and yup its there, go back to composer (2.9 btw before someone asks) and "Find Local Client" and it picks up Local Client "Microsoft Edge Windows 10"

So it's picking up my Windows machine browsing itself (on the same machine) as a "client" but when I use any of the actual TV's native Plex clients it does not pick any of them up???????

Basic questions:

1. Does the driver support native Plex on a Samsung TV?
  2. Do you have to do this "Find Local Client" every time for a different client - I have 5 TV's or do I add 5 separate drivers?

I love the idea of the driver I don't mind paying for the driver, like the integration into the navigators but I am not going to go buy a Amazon TV or Roko to make this work so for $200 I just wanted to make sure of the top two questions first.

Would appreciate the guidance.

Samsung is not on our list of supported devices as it does not provide the ability to direct launch via API.  The only smart tv we support for our Plex Full driver is the Sony Android range of TV's.  In regards to finding the client find local client is used if you have not signed into Plex.TV on your plex media server (older plex media servers did not require registration).  If you have signed your Plex Media Server into Plex.tv then you should be using Find Remote Client.  Again i need to stress that Samsung is not supported as we cannot launch Plex.  As such it makes for a terrible solution.  If you want to keep your Samsung TV i highly recommend you add something like a Roku in.  The driver requires one instance per client.  Just click on find local client or find remote client several times as it will cycle through the clients.  Do this until you find the client you are looking for.

14 hours ago, alanchow said:
Samsung is not on our list of supported devices as it does not provide the ability to direct launch via API.  The only smart tv we support for our Plex Full driver is the Sony Android range of TV's.  In regards to finding the client find local client is used if you have not signed into Plex.TV on your plex media server (older plex media servers did not require registration).  If you have signed your Plex Media Server into Plex.tv then you should be using Find Remote Client.  Again i need to stress that Samsung is not supported as we cannot launch Plex.  As such it makes for a terrible solution.  If you want to keep your Samsung TV i highly recommend you add something like a Roku in.  The driver requires one instance per client.  Just click on find local client or find remote client several times as it will cycle through the clients.  Do this until you find the client you are looking for.

OK cool thank you Alan. It's a Android based TV pity they don't expose the API in their version. I'll check on their forums as well I remember when I was writing a driver for my wireless Samsung aircon there were guys sideloading different versions of the apps on the TVs. They are Android after all....

Thanks for the update. Because I like this driver so much, if I had to bend my arm go get a bunch of Roko devices : Just confirming I would then have to install one Plex Full driver per Room (where the TV is)

• 2 weeks later...

Roku Ultra does not work with the Plex full driver. Will not call the plex channel on the Roku to play the file. You can browse the movies on your NAS (actually it only allowed me to go one page or about 30 movies and then would stop). I don't know about the Roku Premier but assume it would be the same as they came out the same time.

On 1/14/2017 at 0:54 PM, alanchow said:

alanchow, on the Houselogix site for your driver, you don't mention Plex Full Driver support for tvOS on AppleTV4 or for AndroidTV on Nvidia Shield TV.  Curious, but does the Plex Full Driver support the Plex clients on these two devices?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, KwamiKontrol said:

alanchow, on the Houselogix site for your driver, you don't mention Plex Full Driver support for tvOS on AppleTV4 or for AndroidTV on Nvidia Shield TV.  Curious, but does the Plex Full Driver support the Plex clients on these two devices?

Thanks

plex full driver works on shield android tv. however, there's a bug where it plays, then repeats before playing again. Otherwise good.  

• 3 weeks later...

As a huge Plex fan, and a happy user of the Chowmain "Plex Home Theater" driver, we installed the "Plex Full" driver last week, hoping to use our Plex Music library with C4 whole house audio - so far, it works poorly, and we're trying to troubleshoot - a few notes:

- The Documentation addresses installation, but oddly, for music, the user interface is different from typical C4 use, and this is not addressed.  Hope the documentation is being updated, since it feels incomplete.

- The WOL capability that was in the Plex Home Theater driver seems to have been deprecated (yuk), so we've had to keep the Plex Home Theater Driver installed as well (not sure if this causes conflicts in the system, as we ARE having playback issues with Music, below)

- While the movie side seems to work as before, my choice of this driver was to add use of our Plex Music library with our C4 whole house audio.  This meant adding another Windows 10 PC-based Plex player to the rack and hook it into our audio matrix.  Sadly, the setup has issues:

1. Normally, to play music, we'd go to a touch pad, select a song from My Music, or a channel on Pandora, etc. and the audio for that room would turn on, and the selected item or channel would play.  With Plex Full, that does not happen.  If I select Listen/Plex Music Library, and select a song, the room audio (amp) does not turn on, but the player begins playing the song nonetheless, but it cannot be heard.  Seems one has to go to Listen/Plex Music Control, and turn on the room audio first, which is not consistent, nor family friendly. The documentation does not address this.

2. The driver claims to support either Plex Media Player, or Plex Home Theater as a player.  For movies, this works well, but for audio, it's bad.  The driver will "get lost" and lose the state of the Plex audio player, losing, or hanging on the song name, player state (this is really bad with PMP, and better but not reliable with PHT) and will eventually claim the player is offline, even when it's working fine with other Plex apps, and worse yet, Plex Full won't heal (reestablish connection to the player) on its own - I have to go in to ComposerHE and re identify the player, then it will work a few times and fail again).  I've asked our very competent dealer (who installed it all, but after a full day of trying to make it work, gave up) to file a service request on this, and hope to hear back soon.

Fingers crossed we're doing something wrong here, as this is the first driver we've found that just does not work as expected.

Please submit a ticket to our helpdesk for support.

Note though that our Plex full driver does not have WOL as there is no method to shutdown using the official plex api (PHT driver uses the JSON-RPC Kodi API which is not official).

As an alternative Control4 can also handle Plex's music library directly through its UPnP driver (this is how i do it at my place).  This means that you don't need to addyour HTPC to your rack.

25 minutes ago, JMcNaught427 said:

thanks Alan - our dealer must not know about this.  I'll forward your response to him right away.  Is there any additional documentation on how the UPnP driver would connect to Plex Full?

Thanks!

It doesn't connect to our Plex Full driver.  It is independant and offered free of charge by Control4.  It can be used with pretty much any UPnP Music server on your network.  I use it myself as i don't see the point in adding in additional hardware for music when Control4 can do music just fine.

Archived