C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Matrix vs Video Matrix

I was going to do an audio matrix and run HDMI baluns to the TV's from the rack.  In a couple zones the matrix would switch the in ceiling speakers from TV to Sonos and distribute Sonos or whatever.  Is it better to just do a video matrix + audio matrix.  Cost will probably be a lot higher.  Also it sounds like it would be complex programming to get it all working.  Also concerned now that I am at the mercy of the matrix to have anything work.  If I have HDMI baluns from the cable boxes in the rack I could always just use the audio from the Tv's if there is a problem.  

Matrix just sounds to be complicated and problematic.  Thoughts?

I was going to do an audio matrix and run HDMI baluns to the TV's from the rack.  In a couple zones the matrix would switch the in ceiling speakers from TV to Sonos and distribute Sonos or whatever.  Is it better to just do a video matrix + audio matrix.  Cost will probably be a lot higher.  Also it sounds like it would be complex programming to get it all working.  Also concerned now that I am at the mercy of the matrix to have anything work.  If I have HDMI baluns from the cable boxes in the rack I could always just use the audio from the Tv's if there is a problem.  

I use video and audio matrix is most jobs. Programming is not complicated and it works just fine.

7 hours ago, Control-IT said:

Thoughts are that you have this all wrong.

Matrix distribution is nothing 'complex' Things can get 'complex' when you're mixing and matching all kinds of signals (including all HDMI but a combo of 3D,4K and none of those all in one setup) - but it's not so much a matter of being complex, as it is a matter of using the right equipment. And a limit in available equipment options usually means a higher cost :D.

There's nothing 'new', 'experimental' or even 'uncommon' about it - it gets setup and done (let alone used!!!!) every day, all day long, around the world.

Whether cost for a matrix would be higher than all dedicated sources will depend, primarily on the number of TVs in use and the number of sources per TV. What you pay for in the Matrix distribution switch, can often be gained by needing less physical sources (and transmitters for those sources).

• 1 month later...

HI I'm a newb to the Leaf product line. I want to do a matrix, but many devices like the new mini cable boxes and apple TV's only have an HDMI connection. Is there a Leaf switcher that strips off the analog audio so I can pass it into an audio matrix?

I don't want to have to use a separate component for this unless totally necessary.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

I'm running into problems with my Leaf (Model LU862) playing nicely with my Apple TV. 

We've had to place a Binary Audio De Embeder between the Leaf and the Apple TV, but the Apple TV and Audio De Embedder have to be reset multiple times per day. They get 'caught up' when the room selecting the Apple TV has a different audio arrangement than the last one IE surround vs 2 channel.

My Leaf is HDCP 2.2 compliant - can anyone explain what my Leaf is missing that my integrator is having to run it through the Audio Ee embedder first?

If you want to maintain the capability of hearing surround sound and stereo sound at the same time, you need the de-embedder.  That Leaf doesn't downmix dolby, so if you wanted to hear it in stereo only zones, the de-embedder strips 2 channel out of the dolby signal.  Otherwise, you'd have to set your ATV to do PCM 2.0.  Although, the deembedder would be my first device to look at for your problem.  What's the manufacturer?

27 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

DONT like the Binary ones.

Same, have had issues. Don't like Atlona either but that's personal :ph34r:

Kramer, Extron....simply put if you want to maintain full surround over HDMI and extract stereo - this doesn't come cheap (and is why I do like the LEAF D series)

I agree with some of the sentiment here...

Do not underestimate the benefit of the Audio matrix. Sometimes old ways of doing things are still awesome and this is a fine example.

My Control4 audio matrix has been rock solid. And uncomplicated. Thats because it is an old fashioned analog audio switcher and there is no farking HDMI HDCP etc ie no farking DRM to deal with. It has just worked rock solid from day one and frankly was the best Control4 thing I have ever spent my money on... I even ditched a networked Sonos set up which I had prior to this and I have never been happier on the Audio side. 

So put in the Audio matrix no question.

As for the video side of the distribution chain well that is an entirely different issue. One of the reasons there is so much posting on this on these forums is because no solution is 100% rock solid here IMHO ...if there was there would be no posts or their wouldn't be the multiple different options! (not that I have tried JAP or Video Storm) but there are little compromises with all choices on the Video side so DYOR very carefully. It is not straight forward, it is ever changing and this is entirely due to farking DRM HDCP, and dogs breakfast of ever number of multiple video sources for content etc. and the ever upgrading HDMI and digital video side. 2K vs 4K ..now 8K?? etc You have been warned. it is NOT a static space like analog audio for obvious reasons. And some folks don't even do a video Matrix. Video sources have become so small and cheap these days, they put individual sources in each room...even behind a wall mounted flat panel... Then upgrade those individually as the need arises. Just my view and many dealers on here don't like this for obvious reasons.. There is of course the ongoing need for dealer for the upgrading of source drivers etc and all the programming ... (but who knows what the mark up is on the video matrixes? maybe a Quick sale bung em in and change em over after they become obsolete etc and then move on?? Is this better than coming back again and again for programming?? Maybe it is for a dealer?? who knows? ) but all this is  just my view and I'll stick wth it and say I aint a video matrix fan. If Hollywood  removed video DRM and HDCP????? well that would be an entirely different landscape and I would almost certainly revisit a video Matrix. But that aint looking like happening like ever because Hollywood is living in the age of the Dinosaur not the age of the enlightenment aka 21C.....  :) Cheers. W 

Archived