C4 Forums | Control4

Media Player Recommendations

Krazykroc

Hi All, 

I know the whole media player thing has been done to death here but after spending the morning searching the forums I'm a little confused.

I have been using Kodi on an Apple TV4 and while that has been quite good it has some limitations and I'm looking for a better experience. 

Im in Australia so some players aren't available to us. In saying that which media players Hardware) do people use to run Kodi on.

Im looking for IP control, ease of installation and most important of all only having to show the wife how to use it ONCE!!!

Cheers and Thanks in Advance.

Kroc

Do you have to use kodi? Do you like to browse an already created media library? If so, a DuneHD player would work perfectly. Not the greatest GUI but very straightforward and flawless integration with control4.

Another bullet proof option with some added benefits is using a minix type PC. With Windows. Run kodi on it. Also run. Program that will auto launch kodi if it is rebooted. This way you also have a PC for web browsing, and other things you would do with a PC. Could also run iTunes to keep you iTunes library available and serve as other things as well.

https://jayvee.com.au/av-products/components-103/media-players

http://www.avaustralia.com.au/minix-neo-z64-fanless-mini-pc-windows-10-edition/

Alan chow has a driver for kodi that is awesome.

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/kodi-entertainment-center-full-xbmc

Hope this bit of info helps. The links above are from Australia

Happy Automating!

Thanks Vince

The missus loves Kodi so yeah its a requirement.I already have a Pop corn Hour box to do our streaming from our NAS so I was looking at an option for Kodi.

I currently run a mac so don't really need a pc based option.

Im aware of Alan's Kodi drivers and was just hoping to add a media player that I can connect to my video matrix and distribute through the house.

Appreciate your comments though its something to think about.

I'm certain you can get your hands on some Android TV devices there - perhaps @alanchow can remind me what brand he (partially?) developed his driver on. Keep forgetting the brand name (Draco something?) but I've advised a few clients of that one after they got their 'own' choices which failed miserably (downside of an open platform is that quality control o n the hardware is non existent) - and they've all loved it. I'm not sure the NVidia Shield is available there but that works well too.

Even if you prefer 'manual' Kodi control over using the above mentioned driver - he developed a great android driver as well to utilize.

Hi Cy,

Thanks, I didn't want to waste money on a cheap product if it wasn't going to be able to handle the job, thus asking for solutions.

I'm happy to get something I know will work even if it means spending the extra bucks.

My apple tv 4 solution gave my wife the taste of it but continually having to update and reload kodi on it becomes tiresome not to mention not getting full control.

again thanks for the advice.

Hi Cy,

Thanks, I didn't want to waste money on a cheap product if it wasn't going to be able to handle the job, thus asking for solutions.

I'm happy to get something I know will work even if it means spending the extra bucks.

My apple tv 4 solution gave my wife the taste of it but continually having to update and reload kodi on it becomes tiresome not to mention not getting full control.

again thanks for the advice.

Spend a couple extra bucks on a shield then. Really powerful android box and the new ones just got announced with Google assistant as a fun bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

I'm certain you can get your hands on some Android TV devices there - perhaps @alanchow can remind me what brand he (partially?) developed his driver on. Keep forgetting the brand name (Draco something?) but I've advised a few clients of that one after they got their 'own' choices which failed miserably (downside of an open platform is that quality control o n the hardware is non existent) - and they've all loved it. I'm not sure the NVidia Shield is available there but that works well too.

Even if you prefer 'manual' Kodi control over using the above mentioned driver - he developed a great android driver as well to utilize.

Tronsmart Draco AW80 octacore android box

i actually replaced my HTPC with this the other day to minimise clutter.

8 hours ago, Krazykroc said:

The missus loves Kodi so yeah its a requirement.

I currently run a mac so don't really need a pc based option.

I'm in the same boat, but have found my solution.....

I run Plex on our Apple TVs.  Easy for the wife, and she's real happy.

I have our media on a NAS.  Since Plex does need it's server too, I've had it run directly on the Synology NAS, but I ended up moving it to run on a Mac Pro and keep the storage on the NAS.

The benefits to me with Plex is the capability to have everyone watch with any device (Apple TV, laptop, iPad, iPhone, etc) and from anywhere on the internet.  Obviously, I have control 4 working all the tv's, and apple Tvs.

good luck.

Archived