C4 Forums | Control4

Best way to get audio back to the matrix while prewiring

jbs

Question

I'm planning to prewire a home where we'll have about 10 zones of stereo audio, some of which will have TVs. There will be an EA5 at the head end with a matrix and 2 amps. I'm planning to run a coax and 2 cat-6's to each TV location and am wondering what's the most efficient way to get the audio from the TV back to the head end if I want the option of listening to the TV over Control4 in that room and others. My default would be 2 extra coax terminated as RCAs but I know there are also baluns that will take the audio over ethernet. Just wondering what the best practice is and if there's anything that works especially well for C4. Thanks!!

15 answers to this question

Coax is bullet proof.

And can be repurposed for almost anything if needed. Also can be used for digital PCM over coax as well.

Coax will be your cheapest option. Rg6 the same as you tv coax wire.

Next best would be rg59 95% braid copper. More expensive. But worth it if the run is over 75'.

This is assuming that your tv will have an analog output. If it does not, then you will need an audio DAC to convert the optical digital output. This means it must be placed behind the tv.

However, you can purchase long optical cables. I have used a 100' optical cable once before without any issues and put the DAC in the rack and used a short RCA cable into audio matrix. Reducing the chance of having any noise on the analog line. And one less device behind the tv.

Hope this help and

Happy Automating!

I prefer balanced line drivers/receivers such as those from AudioControl. There are passive units that run over cat5 that can be hit and miss. If you need to go a far distance the BLD are the best choice IMO.

So you plan to use "smart TV" and want to have sound from TV over C4.

Check TV's outputs. They might have optic or regular RCA stereo outputs. if there are regular stereo outputs you can use just 2 coax cables or 1 cat5 with audio balun. in case of any digital output (optic or coax) you need DAC and again you can use 2 coax or 1 cat5/6 with balun. In both cases you can get slightly noticeable sound delay ( with DAC a bit bigger), so tv sound must be off . 2 RCAs - cheaper option. 

Do you have all your sources in the rack or they all local? 

how many tvs do you have? to have sound over C4 you need C4 remote for each TV.

If you have a lot of tvs, check you zigbee mesh. 

48 minutes ago, VINCELdUB said:

Cmple - TOSLink Optical Digital Audio Cable SPDIF Dolby Digital DTS - 100 ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FD18Y0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0EzFybGP521GY

Happy Automating!

PS. Ensure that the cable you choose is rated for inwall installation in your jurisdiction.

Wow. cool but sorry, I won't go with it. It can be: faulty optic cable (got it few times), during installation the connector can be damaged (how can you fix it?), anyways you need DAC for signal conversion.

Archived