C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos question

Ok I don't want to rant about how new driver sucks over and over.  In moving forward for sites with Sonos existing I have a question.  The app is great and I see no issue with launching music using it.  Are there any issues with 2 way communication in C4 with using the app?  So will it turn a room on automatically so the AV receiver turns on and will it power the room off?  If they go to a C4 touchscreen will it be in sync?

Thanks

I beg to differ. My system is now bat shit crazy. Things come on. Things go off. One minute it works, the next it doesn't. I actually thought this would be no big deal, but it just doesn't work anymore.

I would revise the answer to say "it should work" ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beg to differ. My system is now bat shit crazy. Things come on. Things go off. One minute it works, the next it doesn't. I actually thought this would be no big deal, but it just doesn't work anymore.

That is an exception and not the norm. You likely have other issues going on. We have very few calls regarding the Sonos drivers, save for the few folks who have not heard the latest word regarding the endorsed driver or don't properly read the knowledgebase.

2 hours ago, Haveitall said:

I wouldn't revise it to that - I've got the driver running in several systems (most existing systems remain on the older drivers, only new installs for Endorsed so far), including my own personal one used daily, without a problem at all. The ONLY issue I currently have with the Endorsed driver (outside of disliking the limited functionality in general mind) is that we can't 'select' the Line In, and I'm seeing issues with some sources and or TVs where the Sonos' auto connect on line in just doesn't trigger - but that isn't the driver auto connect - that is Sonos' own.

Ok... I'll take the bait. Sorry to hijack the thread, but it goes to the 'does it work' point.

Do you switch room a lot? Most of the time when it freaks out is when I am listening one place, then add the new room I am going to, then drop the old room. This all happens in rapid succession, and I'd say half the time it gets confused and stops all the music.

Also doesn't 'like' mixing Sonos connects with Sonos plays. Freaks out on occasion.

Finally, adding connects to plays isn't always allowed (i.e., this is consistent, not occasional).

And of course switching back and forth is insanely obnoxious.

9 hours ago, Haveitall said:

Ok... I'll take the bait. Sorry to hijack the thread, but it goes to the 'does it work' point.

Do you switch room a lot? Most of the time when it freaks out is when I am listening one place, then add the new room I am going to, then drop the old room. This all happens in rapid succession, and I'd say half the time it gets confused and stops all the music.

Also doesn't 'like' mixing Sonos connects with Sonos plays. Freaks out on occasion.

Finally, adding connects to plays isn't always allowed (i.e., this is consistent, not occasional).

And of course switching back and forth is insanely obnoxious.

No bait intended. And yes, I switch rooms all the time. It sounds like you did a replace with the old drivers, but are using it as you are used to. And yes, that's where the differences between old and new are a real pain.

I can certainly check the - start in one, add number two and drop one right away setup, but I actually have a button that does that from my work bench to my sitting area - and used it every night for the past week...

Can't really comment on  setups combining connects, plays and play bars, as I've not used the new driver on it yet except in one location. I doubt the client there is combining them though, so any issues probably wouldn't show.

I've NEVER been a big fan on combining connects into other matrices with plays, though for other reasons so have avoided that to begin with. If issues exists between Connects to a/v receivers , connect AMPS and plays, I've not encountered them (as in issues with C4)

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Also, I will add that I do not recommend doing new installs quoting Sonos and Control4, we're discussing sites that have existing Sonos installs as per OP.

What are you going to recommend for replacement for Sonos Connects? Control4 audio or some kind of other streamer (Russound, Fusion, etc.)

10 minutes ago, therockhr said:

What are you going to recommend for replacement for Sonos Connects? Control4 audio or some kind of other streamer (Russound, Fusion, etc.)

Good question. We've always pushed native services, and with good success. In general we only did Sonos if it was either existing, or on specific request of other services (mainly SiriusXM for us, some Spotify). With Napster (Rhapsody) becoming (officially) available again last year here in Canada that's even easier.

We're looking into alternatives for services, but we've got a bad taste with Fusion when trying their (video) media players and follow up support so are hesitant there.

Heos isn't there and not sure it will be, Amazon still not available here, Autonomics looks good but is expensive, not to mention it's still unclear where that will go now that SnapAV bought them (not that that is negative, just unknown)......

So, in short, not sure still what the best route to go is.

43 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Good question. We've always pushed native services, and with good success. In general we only did Sonos if it was either existing, or on specific request of other services (mainly SiriusXM for us, some Spotify). With Napster (Rhapsody) becoming (officially) available again last year here in Canada that's even easier.

Is there anything in the works for Control4 to add more music services like SiriusXM and/or iHeartRadio?

13 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

The end game is Sonos via Alexa - with c4 Being the conduit

The end game is sonos realizing they are not a platform for HA.  They are a music platform and they must be compatible with and play better with HA.

The elude to this in the new CE Pro article. That is that they will grow the API to better meet needs. IF that will happen will be seen but I'm sticking with them and still recommending them.

I hope so - Sonos as such is a good product. One of it's biggest problem, and one that I fear may be coming to others, is that certain music services seem bent on making using them difficult, or at least limited to their own set of rules. Spotify via Sonos now has gotten the 'great' Spotify Connect - but only by losing full integration via their own app.

In other words, things are more breaking apart then they are coming together.

Ok, well then use Apple Music as an example.  Beats worked fine, but during the rebranding to Apple Music somehow it was necessary to break integration with Control4?  And even if the Sonos API evolves, no guarantee that is coming back.

4 minutes ago, turls said:

Ok, well then use Apple Music as an example.  Beats worked fine, but during the rebranding to Apple Music somehow it was necessary to break integration with Control4?  And even if the Sonos API evolves, no guarantee that is coming back.

with the endorsed driver, Apple music works fine

31 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

with the endorsed driver, Apple music works fine

I assume you mean as favorites, and what I'm saying if even if the Sonos API/driver evolves to offer more functionality integrating with HA, there is no guarantee it will be back to the level of integration Beats had with the old Sonos driver. This is because Apple may still limit functionality (which was Cyknights' point)

Just now, turls said:

I assume you mean as favorites, and what I'm saying if even if the Sonos API/driver evolves to offer more functionality integrating with HA, there is no guarantee it will be back to the level of integration Beats had with the old Sonos driver.

nothing is back to the level of integration as the old drivers...and I don't expect Sonos to re-open up the old doors.

Just now, msgreenf said:

nothing is back to the level of integration as the old drivers...and I don't expect Sonos to re-open up the old doors.

Except the post earlier in the thread says that Sonos "will grow the API to better meet needs".  They could still see the error of their ways, but even if they do, the providers still have to play along. 

Just now, turls said:

Except the post earlier in the thread says that Sonos "will grow the API to better meet needs".  They could still see the error of their ways, but even if they do, the providers still have to play along. 

maybe...new CEO...new direction?

Archived