C4 Forums | Control4

How does a C4-KD120 behave when Control4 is offline?

jbs

Question

10 years ago 10 years ago and only a few months after moving into our C4 fitted house, I posted about my dream product here:

tldr it was a dimmer switch with additional programmable buttons in it. So in a single gang you could both REPLACE a switch and ADD a customizable keypad. At the time we had Control4 dimmers and a few of the C4-KP6-Z 6-button keypads, which were wired into 120V via Romex.

I'm now updating my knowledge of the product and if I understand correctly the C4-KD120 sounds like it does what we were talking about 10 years ago. So do I understand correctly that that item can go in the place of an existing dimmer and control a load, while ALSO offering customizable buttons? And if so, here's my question:

On the rare occasions when our Control4 has been down it's certainly good to know that we can turn on and off lights manually. How does the C4-KD120 work in this scenario? Do you bind certain buttons to the load and do those settings then persist even if the Control4 is down or removed? And if so can you pick any of the buttons in any of the 37 configurations to bind to the load?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Absolutely understand that it won't control other loads being there's no communication but that's great to know that you can bind a button to the load it's attached to. That's also HUGE from a retrofit perspective it seems. One of the trickiest parts of Control4 in an existing home was always finding space for keypads (I used a lot of "double tap" programming to use my existing dimmers to do other things). This means out of 5 existing switches you can make 4 of them regular switches and one of them a switch AND keypad. That's outstanding.

Once bound to a load does it essentially behave like a toggle if tapped (all on or all off) and a ramping dimmer when held down? Can you bind the up arrow to be like the top of a dimmer switch and the down arrow to be like the bottom? Or can the load only be bound to one button?

Thanks again, awesome news!!

Yes they make the ability to retro great! Gives the ability to do many great things when integrated!

They allow a lot of flexibility with the programming. When originally programmed it's a toggle. You can program 2 buttons, one as on and the other as off if desired, but typically just left as a toggle. If you wanted the up down arrows, you can make them ramp the lighting load up and down, or hold the programmed button and it will also ramp.

And you are welcome!

10 years ago 10 years ago and only a few months after moving into our C4 fitted house, I posted about my dream product here:

tldr it was a dimmer switch with additional programmable buttons in it. So in a single gang you could both REPLACE a switch and ADD a customizable keypad. At the time we had Control4 dimmers and a few of the C4-KP6-Z 6-button keypads, which were wired into 120V via Romex.

I'm now updating my knowledge of the product and if I understand correctly the C4-KD120 sounds like it does what we were talking about 10 years ago. So do I understand correctly that that item can go in the place of an existing dimmer and control a load, while ALSO offering customizable buttons? And if so, here's my question:

On the rare occasions when our Control4 has been down it's certainly good to know that we can turn on and off lights manually. How does the C4-KD120 work in this scenario? Do you bind certain buttons to the load and do those settings then persist even if the Control4 is down or removed? And if so can you pick any of the buttons in any of the 37 configurations to bind to the load?

Thanks!

The short answer, yes it is customizable and able to control the load it is attached to. If the C4 system goes down then it would not be able to control any other light except itself, if you programmed one of the buttons to control the load it is attached to.

1 minute ago, Axis24 said:

The short answer, yes it is customizable and able to control the load it is attached to. If the C4 system goes down then it would not be able to control any other light except itself, if you programmed one of the buttons to control the load it is attached to.

Absolutely understand that it won't control other loads being there's no communication but that's great to know that you can bind a button to the load it's attached to. That's also HUGE from a retrofit perspective it seems. One of the trickiest parts of Control4 in an existing home was always finding space for keypads (I used a lot of "double tap" programming to use my existing dimmers to do other things). This means out of 5 existing switches you can make 4 of them regular switches and one of them a switch AND keypad. That's outstanding.

Once bound to a load does it essentially behave like a toggle if tapped (all on or all off) and a ramping dimmer when held down? Can you bind the up arrow to be like the top of a dimmer switch and the down arrow to be like the bottom? Or can the load only be bound to one button?

Thanks again, awesome news!!

Archived