C4 Forums | Control4

Fing Fingbox Network Security Device

turls

I think the bottom line is many users (especially with your IFTTT driver) are going to end up with a mish-mash of IoT devices on their network, and this will at least help a prosumer end user keep track of a dynamic list of IP devices.  Its definitely a love/hate thing for me on all these devices with chips from companies like Samsung that I don't trust...

2 hours ago, turls said:

I think the bottom line is many users (especially with your IFTTT driver) are going to end up with a mish-mash of IoT devices on their network, and this will at least help a prosumer end user keep track of a dynamic list of IP devices.  Its definitely a love/hate thing for me on all these devices with chips from companies like Samsung that I don't trust...

I have domotz at home and love it.  Really helps troubleshoot problems.

21 hours ago, alanchow said:

I have domotz at home and love it.  Really helps troubleshoot problems.

Looks interesting, but I think that is a recurring cost.  No recurring fees with Fing.  I know that model doesn't always work, so glad to see other options.  Wasn't aware of domotz.

4 hours ago, turls said:

Looks interesting, but I think that is a recurring cost.  No recurring fees with Fing.  I know that model doesn't always work, so glad to see other options.  Wasn't aware of domotz.

Domotz actually bought fing last year.  Fing is their consumer focused product whereas Domotz is their pro line.

• 1 year later...

It would be nice to have a C4 driver for this - especially for applications like notifying you when devices join/leave the LAN.  This could be used for geofencing and for troubleshooting issues - ie. get a notification in C4 when your AVR drops off the network.  You can get these today from Fingbox but it would be nice to have it all in C4.

• 5 months later...

I have both! Am running Domotz over my Synology NAS and Got Fing during the crowed funding campaign as well and I love both ... I bought Domotz Lifetime subscription which is giving me everything I need except ability to view cam feeds. Each have it own use case and I can’t imagine I would ever survived without them running in my network ...

Archived