C4 Forums | Control4

Power / startup sequence / delay (HDMI handshake fun)

turls

Is there anything more elegant that you can do in Composer than triggering a manual sequence of power off and power on when you are having handshaking issues that result in no audio or black screens (intermittently)?  So basically you are forced to let Control4 do the power up but then have to program a power cycle on problem component(s)?

In my situation, I have recently upgraded my entire chain in my theater to HDMI 2.x, and I don't feel like I should just have to live with this annoyance.  I have lots of devices, but the common ones that power up no matter what video choice I select are:

• Sony Projector (VPL-VW110ES)
  • Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor / Switcher
  • Marantz AV7702mkii AVR

The "good" thing is I already have to wait a while for the bulb to warmup on the Sony so there is time to fool with power cycling components.

Supposedly on AVS Forum, current advice is to power up the projector last, but to me that isn't ideal anyway because it already has such a large startup delay.  I can power on the Radiance, and power cycle it, before the projector finishes powering up.

I think the problem child here is the Lumagen as I have Matrixed AVRs in numerous rooms and almost NEVER have a HDMI handshaking issue.  Technically it is still in beta but whenever something like this is brought up cabling is blamed...but since this issue is intermittent...??

Everything goes through the Radiance Pro before it goes to the projector so it should deal with the handshake and EDID.  So nothing should care what order the projector is powered on (I think?)

Ok, seeing some other posts that lead me towards a driver edit that will include a 1-2 sec delay in power on, but that doesn't seem very elegant either...and only works on drivers I can edit like the Lumagen...if it doesn't end up being the issue then I would still be stuck.

My first attempt at this simply forced my custom button that power cycled the Radiance Pro at power up of the projector.  Somehow, that did an endless loop of power cycles, so that got deleted quickly.  Anybody else have anything before I resort to editing drivers?  

1 hour ago, turls said:

My first attempt at this simply forced my custom button that power cycled the Radiance Pro at power up of the projector.  Somehow, that did an endless loop of power cycles, so that got deleted quickly.  Anybody else have anything before I resort to editing drivers?  

Fix the programming?

Something like:

WHEN Projector turns on

Send code power off to lumagen (NOT turn Lumagen off)

delay 2 seconds

Send code power on to lumagen

But honestly, changing a driver is the 'better' way.

On 2/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, Cyknight said:

But honestly, changing a driver is the 'better' way.

Still might be able to avoid that, I got some new information from Jim Peterson:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2172017-new-lumagen-radiance-pro-series-40.html#post50636337

Might help somebody else, when I dig into this I'll post back and let everybody know if any of that works for me.

On 2/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, blub said:

Wouldn't something like DrHdmi do the job as it's sending an always "on" ?

I have one between my Kodi box and AVR for the same reasons

Don't see a 4K / HDCP 2.2 version, and besides hopefully shouldn't need another device once I get everything sorted out.

• 10 months later...

Archived