C4 Forums | Control4

Sony STR-DA2800ES

Amr

Am looking for a straight and final answer on this issue, my dealer had failed adding the Sony STR-DA2800ES as a secondary controller to my projects, claiming that C4 had stopped this after 2.7, am currently on 2.9 latest and greatest and it's really killing me that I had to add an HC-250 beside the 2800 that is only used and controlled by C4 but can't use C4 functionalities that is embedded in it.  My Main Controller is HC-800.

Is there away or a straight answer to this dilemma please?

I just happened to catch you post.  That Sony processor is a real awful solution quite frankly and I own one sadly.  I just now returned mine (after 4 years) to Sony for warranty.  It also sounds awful compared to my Integra, Anthem or my old Sony processor.  It took constant rebooting.  And now that Control 4 and Sony have officially parted ways, you'll never see an upgrade to the software.  I've heard they will replace it with something else.  I'll find out in a week or so.

If you like the way the 2800 sounds, be happy with the fact your dealer abandoned it's Control 4 function and installed a HC-250.  In hindsight, it was simply not a good idea to embed that C4 controller.

Scotty

UPDATE - The 4-year old STR-DA2800ES that I returned to Sony NA repair service was then sent to Sony in Texas. Sony then called me and is now replacing it with a new  STR-ZA2000ES.  I'm pleased that they have made that determination.  That 2800 was one buggy unit.

Amr, Your dealer made the right decision for you.  But if your unit is under 5 years old, I'd go back to your dealer and ask them for help to get it returned for warranty consideration.  Just make sure you've described the C4 update issue and note all of its INTERMITTENT problems.  Sony will simply replace it when problems are intermittent.

Scotty

Archived