C4 Forums | Control4

Brilliant Smart Lighting - Alexa Built In

therockhr

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

One of the previous "competition" to Control4 had touchscreens with built-in dimmers that fit in a light switch box.

I always thought it a bad idea to have a touchscreen at waist-high level.  Pretty much unusable unless you were a hobbit.

:)

RyanE

Edited to Add: They're no longer in business...

Fair point, forgot about that.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:36 PM, RyanE said:

One of the previous "competition" to Control4 had touchscreens with built-in dimmers that fit in a light switch box.

I always thought it a bad idea to have a touchscreen at waist-high level.  Pretty much unusable unless you were a hobbit.

I thought everybody just used their phones instead of touchscreens anyway ;)

1 hour ago, turls said:

I thought everybody just used their phones instead of touchscreens anyway ;)

No, some people look at the price of some of the touchscreens and say "i'll just use my phone or tablet". If there was a $150-$250 touchscreen option. you would see a lot more touchscreens being sold. Whether that would make financial sense for C4, Crestron, etc. to sell them that cheap I couldnt tell you.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Just put three of these in our Tahoe home - their price has increased to $300 for the single gang, with $349 for the two gang.  Touchscreen quality is impressive.

Install is well thought out and easy - simply sets itself up once you give it the Wi-Fi credentials.  Automatically updates its firmware, and automagically finds your supported non-Brilliant devices.  Adding additional Brilliant Controls into an existing install is crazy easy, since they sniff out (discover) other Brilliant Controls in the home, and simply update the new one and existing ones to all display the changes.  

Works exceptionally well, bringing together a host of products that normally have their own maze of separate smartphone apps, and displays them in the Brilliant UI as a functional, high WAF system.  Fit and finish is on par with C4.

I'm sold on this for the small install, and love the remote control capability, and the "it just works" reliability. Integrated it with new and existing Nest, Sonos, Ring, Hue, -- and Alexa integration is like having a wall mounted Echo Show - except the speaker is not designed for music, just Alexa voice responses.  

If it catches fire in the next few weeks, I'll update this thread, but I'm surprised I like it as much as I do this quickly...

I have a few. I installed one at my office first to gauge how it worked. I had it set up for motion at night and it worked well (auto turning on the lights when I walked in). Didn't set up the Alexa there since I didn't want my account live at the office.

Most switches in my home are either already C4 switches or 3 way and multiple in an area, so I haven't decided just yet where to install at home.

Haven't gotten to play with the Alexa and other tie-ins yet, but the simple install at the office works well. I am curious if I'd be able to get C4 to control it for i.e. a "lights out" macro.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any chance of integrating this into COntrol4?  Thinking about changing out some of my upstairs non control4 switches.  Would like to put these in the kids bedrooms instead of c4 touch screens. Its now also compatible with Homekit.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.