C4 Forums | Control4

NetPlay Home compatible equipment list

videostorm

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

Here is my input:

1a)  The difference between NetPlay Ready and NetPlay Compatible encoders:

• NetPlay Ready encoders are running our API software.  They feature one button detection and setup in our systems.
  • NetPlay Compatible encoders are not running our API software.  However, they have been tested with our systems and are known to work properly.  They require a one time manual configuration using their own web interface.

The 4K encoders listed on our encoders page definitely do work in a Netplay system.  Other encoders that are NOT listed on our encoder page may work with our system, but have not been explicitly tested by Video Storm.

1b)  If your AVR will remain in your centralized rack, then using a 4K encoder on the output of a centralized streaming box (FireTV, shield, etc) can work.  However, a much better solution is to make your AVR local to theater and then the NetPlayTV decoder (Fire TV, shield) for that zone will provide 4K directly.  This also has the advantage of giving you any audio format the players and AVR can support (as opposed to just coax / optical in the prior scenario).  You can still have a low cost 1080p encoder for a centralized media box if you do not want to convert all your zones to NetPlayTV.  If you use the Sony Android TV, make sure your AVR supports ARC from the TV for audio (in the later example).

2)  For NetPlay, single cat 5, 5e, or 6 will work (for everything).  It is standard ethernet, so if you needed more jacks later you can always use a hub/switch.

3)  Correct.  We actually now recommend the new 4K Fire STICK instead of the 4K Fire TV gen3 (better product and less expensive).

4)  Yes, these features all function the same way.  In addition, you also get our SplashTiles feature including full HTML5 overlays.  Definitely a step up from the text overlays.

So you think its best to:

1) keep AVR local to the TV and get a 4K AVR

2) put a 4K Fire TV or Shield in there for local 4K content

3) put a left over AFT in the VTX to share with the other TVs

4) Since the TV is likely a Sony/Google model I’ll pick, I do not need any new hardware and using the SR260 I’ll have the same experience I have with the VRX’s, just “watch > TV” will turn TV on (sony IP c4 control) and it will go to my cable box?   I do not have to go into the menu and launch an app on the TV each time I Turn it on right?

My follow up questions:

1) how would this impact sound delay?  I have a CMX and I thought the AVR had to be wired to the CMX - is that the case?  What if I want something playing from the VTX (cable box) on the 4K TV and another room or my kitchen audio speakers (do this for ball games frequently).  Wiring would be Switch in central location > Ethernet > VRX in console under TV > HDMI > TV?  I have extra Ethernet, should I run some audio balun back to the centrally located CMX from the AVR?

2) the limitation here would be I could not be watching something from that 4K device in the AVR, then decide to add it to 1-2 more TVs around the house - correct?  

1)  Yes, that is best IMO

2)  4K Fire STICK or Shield (or just the Sony Android TV)

3)  Yes

4)  Correct

1f)  (For you new zone).   Since your AVR is local, the audio it is receiving is from the NetPlayTV decoder.  It is always in sync, no additional correction needed.  You can play any VTX source back on both that zone and your other "centralized audio" zones.  They will all be in sync.

2f)  Correct.  If this is important to you, than the original suggestion of using a 4K streamer => 4K encoder with everything centralized is the better option.

2 hours ago, videostorm said:

1)  Yes, that is best IMO

2)  4K Fire STICK or Shield (or just the Sony Android TV)

3)  Yes

4)  Correct

1f)  (For you new zone).   Since your AVR is local, the audio it is receiving is from the NetPlayTV decoder.  It is always in sync, no additional correction needed.  You can play any VTX source back on both that zone and your other "centralized audio" zones.  They will all be in sync.

2f)  Correct.  If this is important to you, than the original suggestion of using a 4K streamer => 4K encoder with everything centralized is the better option.

Thanks @videostorm

its probably cheaper to buy a 4K encoder vs a decent 4K avr?  Any reason you prefer the localized AVR option?  Do the encoders pass along any type of audio codec?  I have an older Denon 3311ci.  It’s 8 or so years old but works fine.  I have a 3.1 setup with 0% chance moving past 5.1 one day.  So don’t need Atmos or 11.2 or something crazy.  But would a new AVR help with newer audio formats I could still enjoy with 3.1?

36 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Lowest cost would still be localized audio (which is why I always recommend it).

In your case, just take the optical output of the TV to the AVR.  That will get you 5.1.   TVs generally always have a digital audio output for speaker bars / older AVRs.

So put AF stick or shield into TV.  Then run optical to AVR to get audio for that 1 source?  And use my older AVR for the speakers?  Would still need a vrx into the AVR or that optical cable from TV is sufficient for any audio to be played over the speakers?  That optical would give normal Dolby codecs within 5.1?  It’s a living room, not a theater  

i am looking at shield or AF stick for Kodi purposes.  Hence not just using baked in Sony apps.  

If using Kodi, go with the Shield.  They are on sale for ~$139 right now online.  You actually can run Kodi directly on the Sony TVs, but Shield is much faster.

HDMI from shield to TV.   Optical out of TV to Denon AVR.   This will give you audio from all your sources (VTX, Kodi, streaming, etc) up to 5.1.

From us you would buy IRUSB and a NetPlayTV license (both for the Shield).  The Shield would replace your VRX in that zone.

34 minutes ago, videostorm said:

If using Kodi, go with the Shield.  They are on sale for ~$139 right now online.  You actually can run Kodi directly on the Sony TVs, but Shield is much faster.

HDMI from shield to TV.   Optical out of TV to Denon AVR.   This will give you audio from all your sources (VTX, Kodi, streaming, etc) up to 5.1.

From us you would buy IRUSB and a NetPlayTV license (both for the Shield).  The Shield would replace your VRX in that zone.

Got it.  Shield will do double duty?  Thought vrx function would be the native android support and shield for streaming services but either was guess IrUsb and license are needed

thanks again

Yes, the Shield becomes your decoder in that zone.  

IRUSB connected to the Shield gives you fast IP control of the Shield, including app launching from the Watch menu.

NetPlayTV license gives the Shield the ability to also act as your NetPlay decoder for that zone.

In Virtual matrix manager sink setup, (after you load the NetPlayTV license) you will ID your sink in that zone using NetPlayTV  (replacing the prior VRX id).

In C4, your NetPlay driver remains unchanged.  Replace your existing Kodi driver for that zone with our IRUSB driver (connected to the corresponding AUX input of the NetPlay driver).  Then you can connect any App mini drivers you want in your watch menu to the IRUSB driver.  If you have Chowmains Kodi driver, just update it since it already supports IRUSB.

In the Watch menu view config for that zone, make your App mini drivers visible as well as all your VTX sources.  When you select the Apps, they will load natively automatically on the shield (with IP control via your C4 remote).  When you select VTX sources, they will also automatically on the Shield (just like the prior VRX).    We also have the ability to PIP NetPlay sources on top of Shield apps.  Just use the same PIP commands as before.

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

Yes, the Shield becomes your decoder in that zone.  

IRUSB connected to the Shield gives you fast IP control of the Shield, including app launching from the Watch menu.

NetPlayTV license gives the Shield the ability to also act as your NetPlay decoder for that zone.

In Virtual matrix manager sink setup, (after you load the NetPlayTV license) you will ID your sink in that zone using NetPlayTV  (replacing the prior VRX id).

In C4, your NetPlay driver remains unchanged.  Replace your existing Kodi driver for that zone with our IRUSB driver (connected to the corresponding AUX input of the NetPlay driver).  Then you can connect any App mini drivers you want in your watch menu to the IRUSB driver.  If you have Chowmains Kodi driver, just update it since it already supports IRUSB.

In the Watch menu view config for that zone, make your App mini drivers visible as well as all your VTX sources.  When you select the Apps, they will load natively automatically on the shield (with IP control via your C4 remote).  When you select VTX sources, they will also automatically on the Shield (just like the prior VRX).    We also have the ability to PIP NetPlay sources on top of Shield apps.  Just use the same PIP commands as before.

Thanks as always

So to quickly recap because there was a lot of back and forth:

- Ethernet > Shield > HDMI  > TV

- TV > Optical > AVR

- AVR just has speaker wires out to the speakers and the input of the Optical from the TV.

- need to buy 1 Netplay License and 1 IRUSB for the Shield (well may buy 2 for the 2nd AFT I use in the VTX).

1) zones with just VRX and no AVR will still be in sync with the zone with the AVR (4 such zones without the AVR)
2) audio only zones such as dining room or kitchen - using cable box audio (RCA out of cable box to CMX) - will also be in sync with the TV’s using the VRX’s or the Shield?  Important as kitchen and dining room are very close to the room with the Shield and when we host big sporting events we put audio in dining room and kitchen.
3) still have all the functions of PiP, video/app/text overlay, splash tiles, etc with the Shield.
4) gives me 4K locally at that TV only so use an existing AFT in the VTX for the other rooms

Think I got it all and seems reasonable if the above is correct.  Thanks again for the great support.

• 2 months later...

Just got my irusb hooked up and working with my C4 system.  Having an issue with a custom qlaunch command.  The only app that has an issue is "tablo preview" app.  If I manually start the tablo app and then press a pre-defined mini-app shortcut, everything works just fine.  However, If i start the tablo app with via a shortcut (qlaunch) when I press another shortcut button, the tablo app keeps running in the background, the audio continues, the video does not.  Then if i try to access the tablo again, I cannot.  I ran the ADB and found the proper code to be 

"QLAUNCH android-app://com.nuvyyo.tablo#Intent;component=com.nuvyyo.tablo/.LaunchActivity;end\r:"

not sure what the issue is, but would love some help.

also, with IRUSB, how can you replicate the "double tap home button" command that you can do with the actual nvidia shield remote?  accessing task manager would be nice :)

thank you

The behavior you are describing with the tablo app sounds more like a bug in the tablo app itself.  If you exit the tablo app using the HOME key instead of a different app QLAUNCH, does it work better?

Double tap Home should work by double tapping the remote key you have assigned as the Home key.  Nothing special needed.  

ha..i swear I tired that double tap..it does work! ---user error

is there any extra documentation you have on irusb/shield/control4 as far as using other commands?  other commands than qlaunch?  can I set custom variables on my C4 system to code additional qlaunch commands?  There are lots of other apps I'd like to quickly launch that aren't part of the stock commands and I only have 4 custom app settings on my c4.  

I have reached out to tablo regarding this as well.  And yes, if I exit the tablo app using the home key, it does work, obviously just switches a bit slower.  Trying to make it switch faster to switch between sporting events is the idea...

• 3 weeks later...

@videostorm

I'm curious about the current state of 4K support and h265 encoding and playback. I saw a newer product from Uray for 4k encoding that had a record button. Similar price point, but maybe slightly better specs. UHE265-1S-4K. 

What's your advice at this point in time for the best experience with the highest resolution/quality?

25 minutes ago, Pounce said:

@videostorm

I'm curious about the current state of 4K support and h265 encoding and playback. I saw a newer product from Uray for 4k encoding that had a record button. Similar price point, but maybe slightly better specs. UHE265-1S-4K. 

What's your advice at this point in time for the best experience with the highest resolution/quality?

The UHE265-1S-4K is a common platform, available from several manufactures.  Shineco makes a model based on the same platform that is currently in certification.  I would recommend that device.

Concerning H264 verses H265:  H265 is a slightly better algorithm.  However, for nearly all video source material there is no visible difference when running at our recommended settings.  There is a more significant difference when running at lower bit rates (H265 is better), but that isn't necessary in NetPlay.

2 minutes ago, videostorm said:

The UHE265-1S-4K is a common platform, available from several manufactures.  Shineco makes a model based on the same platform that is currently in certification.  I would recommend that device.

Concerning H264 verses H265:  H265 is a slightly better algorithm.  However, for nearly all video source material there is no visible difference when running at our recommended settings.  There is a more significant difference when running at lower bit rates (H265 is better), but that isn't necessary in NetPlay.

Does the Shineco device have passthrough by any chance? That would be of interest as it would save some clutter. Got a model number I can look for?

Thank you.

16 hours ago, Pounce said:

Does the Shineco device have passthrough by any chance? That would be of interest as it would save some clutter. Got a model number I can look for?

Thank you.

No passthrough on that one.  You can contact jacky@shinecodvb.com for the details on it.  Keep in mind they have their new year celebration right now.

yeah the whole thing is a shambles and all our problems would go away if the likes of Disney and other Hollywood content providers provided a half decent DRM solution...
Not sure how your rant is relevant to my post

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.