C4 Forums | Control4

Integrating movie/music collection with C4

carvelln

Question

Hi all!

Another rookie question.

I'm looking to integrate my digital movie/music library currently located on a ReadyNAS as well as on my main PC.  The following is what I've learned from research here on the site.  Please correct me where I am wrong and provide supplementation where needed (I am basically looking for a step-by-step Dummy's Guide) 

I need a dealer-installed C4 driver that will allow recognition of network file storage for the NAS.  Is there a way to allow C4 to search/scan my PC for media files?

Music can be handled natively through the C4 navigator and there is a C4 driver that will allow recognition of my iTunes library.

Movies need a media player which can be software or hardware based.  I prefer a software-based solution and Plex seems to be a popular choice.  Do I need to purchase a Plex media player and C4 driver separately or do they come together?  There seem to be at least a couple of Plex drivers mentioned - do I need all of them?  Where would I purchase the software? 

After purchase, where is the Plex media player installed?  Onto my PC or the NAS?

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

12 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, carvelln said:

I need a dealer-installed C4 driver that will allow recognition of network file storage for the NAS.

Well yes, ANY driver is dealer installed.

Is there a way to allow C4 to search/scan my PC for media files?

No - well I suppose it technically could, if that PC was also the file server, which I'd strongly recommend against. But I'm guessing you mean you have a database on your computer, unless it's MyMovies (see further down) and/or iTunes.

Music can be handled natively through the C4 navigator and there is a C4 driver that will allow recognition of my iTunes library.

Yes, and yes - but it may not be applicable. There's an iTunes driver, but it requires actual iTunes to work from, plus that doesn't import the music as such but assumes there is an external device that outputs the actual audio - so NOT a controller, plus is limited to ONE stream only. Note that the native scanning of music is better than movies, but not perfect and designed for 'cd' style libraries, and not 'single song' libraries

Movies need a media player which can be software or hardware based.  I prefer a software-based solution and Plex seems to be a popular choice.  Do I need to purchase a Plex media player and C4 driver separately or do they come together?  There seem to be at least a couple of Plex drivers mentioned - do I need all of them?  Where would I purchase the software? 

After purchase, where is the Plex media player installed?  Onto my PC or the NAS?

This one is more complex. First of all, yes you need a hardware based external media player. As in - you NEED to have hardware to play it from.

That said, there are 4 basic option available for you.

1) Basic Media player setup. C4 scans media and populates info, you edit as desired, and you have however many media players you want (DuneHD, Popcorn Hour are more or less the standard choices there)

2) Advanced Media player setup.

2.1) Involves having some form of server. Can be MyMovies on a PC or Server (the 'DIY' option) - uses (free) collection management driver - better media scanning than native C4, limits you to what media players to use (basically the ones mentioned above - they ARE good media players mind you)

2.2) Full 3rd party setup - Fusion, Kaleidascape. Pretty much set and forget, auto ripping, especially K-Scape very reliable. But expensive, may require paid driver.

3) PLEX setup. Requires a PLEX SERVER or NAS that has PLEX plugin, still need media players, ones that run PLEX well (Roku for example) Paid 3rd party driver, - gives you one database much like the above options (what that means is you browse one library even if you have multiple players)

4) KODI setup. Does NOT require a server like PLEX does, KODI runs on your media player. Downside over PLEX is that if you want multiple players, you need multiple drivers. GREAT if you have dedicated local players per TV, can get more cunfusing/messy if distributing one or two compared to the others. Still need media player, one that runs KODI (AndroidTV, Rooted is a popular option there) Requires 3rd part paid driver.

Now there's 2 'other' options as well that I'll add:

5) Use iTunes and AppleTVs. Not enough experience to give you much feedback there, but I never had a great 'feel' for this option

6) Use ANY media player, and simply use the built in scanning/browsing options - certainly an option, but always felt rather 'old fashioned' to me. Not to say some built-in browsers aren't very well done.

With what you mention, I'd say either 1) if you're willing to spend the time to setup you initial database, or 4) are likely the best fit (at least, easier and cheaper to go to).

Note - any paid 3rd party driver will have to be bought by your dealer (and, yes, installed by your dealer). Small addition to that is that drivers are per SYSTEM - so only one needs to be purchased for KODI, even if you end up using multiple player (and thus drivers)

Note that all 4 options (and the 2 added ones) have possible limitations on file types and functionality they support!!!

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

3) PLEX setup. Require a PLEX SERVER or NAS that has PLEX plugin, still need media players, ones that run PLEX well (Roku for example) Paid 3rd party driver, - gives you one database much like the above options (what that means is you browse one library even if you have multiple players)

4) KODI setup. Does NOT require a server like PLEX does, KODI runs on your media player. Downside over PLEX is that if you want multiple players, you need multiple drivers. GREAT if you have dedicated local players per TV, can get more cunfusing/messy if distributing one or two compared to the others. Still need media player, one that runs KODI (AndroidTV, Rooted is a popular option there) Requires 3rd part paid driver.

Cyknight, thanks so much for the detailed answers!  I just wanted to clarify a few things:

If I want to use scenario 3, I need to enable the Plex app/plugin for my NAS and then buy a media player that has Plex capability, like Roku.  I then have my dealer install a 3rd party plex driver for C4.  So, when I choose a movie file through the C4 navigator, it sends the file to the Roku which then plays the movie.  Is that correct?

If I have a smart tv that has a Plex app, could that act as a media player instead of Roku?  Which 3rd party Plex driver do you recommend?

You mentioned that Kodi is overall cheaper.  How so?  You mention that Kodi does not require a server but the movie files still have to stored somewhere accessible by C4, right?  And that would still require a NAS?

thanks again!

2 hours ago, carvelln said:

So, when I choose a movie file through the C4 navigator, it sends the file to the Roku which then plays the movie.  Is that correct?

Yes.

If I have a smart tv that has a Plex app, could that act as a media player instead of Roku?

Only if that driver is supported - and I'm unsure if there is one. Understand that the device AND it's driver require that the ability to launch PLEX directly is there.

Which 3rd party Plex driver do you recommend?

The only one that exists. Well, there's a Lite version but really, just go for Full. https://www.houselogix.com/shop/plex-full

You mentioned that Kodi is overall cheaper.  How so?  You mention that Kodi does not require a server but the movie files still have to stored somewhere accessible by C4, right?  And that would still require a NAS?

Yes, but a basic NAS (as long as it is powerful enough to handle the media streaming/traffic) is cheaper than those capable of running PLEX.

Understand that either option works great, but based on the info you provided, KODI would seem the better fit of the two.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Yes.

Only if that driver is supported - and I'm unsure if there is one. Understand that the device AND it's driver require that the ability to launch PLEX directly is there.

The only one that exists. Well, there's a Lite version but really, just go for Full. https://www.houselogix.com/shop/plex-full

Yes, but a basic NAS (as long as it is powerful enough to handle the media streaming/traffic) is cheaper than those capable of running PLEX.

Understand that either option works great, but based on the info you provided, KODI would seem the better fit of the two.

Again, thank you so much for the insight.

One last question on the Plex option.  What is the best media player if I wanted to minimize transcoding (as my current NAS is incapable of this).   We've already mentioned Roku and I was reading that Nvidia Shield can directly playback most files.  Is Nvidia shield compatible with C4?

1 hour ago, carvelln said:

Again, thank you so much for the insight.

One last question on the Plex option.  What is the best media player if I wanted to minimize transcoding (as my current NAS is incapable of this).   We've already mentioned Roku and I was reading that Nvidia Shield can directly playback most files.  Is Nvidia shield compatible with C4?

(Good) Android control - not to mention PLEX means IP control, which means the device will need to be rooted, beyond that - yes.

As I've not heavily tested PLEX myself, adivse on the best player player/NAS combo if going that route is better answered by other - perhaps @alanchow (the driver developer) gets a moment to chime in, he's on the board regularly.

Thank you, @alanchow and @CyKnight! 

If I go with Plex and an HTPC as the media player, then all I need is the Houselogix full Plex driver which will allow C4 to directly launch movie playback within the navigator through the HTPC, correct?  Are their iterations of the Intel NUC that can support 4k/HDR playback?

Based on your recommendation, CyKnight, I also started playing around with Kodi and I freaking love it.  The cataloguing capability is amazing.  As far as I am aware, there is a houselogix Kodi driver for C4, right?  And for media playback, I was looking at the Nvidia Shield Pro - would this be an acceptable option for Kodi if I did not go the route of the  HTPC?

I was just messing around and found out that there is a Plex add-on for Kodi.  Could you explain the advantage of this?  Aren't the two programs performing the same function?  They both appear to be robust media players with great library/cataloguing capabilities.  What does running plex through kodi offer me that kodi alone doesn't?

Archived