C4 Forums | Control4

C4 thermostats and radiant heat floors

I am hoping someone out there can help.  We purchased an existing home in October that has radiant heat flooring only (no forced air) with an existing Control 4 system.  The Control 4 system was NOT hooked up to the thermostats (just cheap old non-digital ones).  We want to hook all 14 zones and 14 thermostats to the current control 4 system since this is a winter vacation home and we want to monitor from a distance

The control 4 dealer suggested our HVAC guy hook up the thermostats and them they would automate.  So.......the HVAC guy hooked them all up on Friday in the "disable mode" and everything was working just fine (realize NOT integrated into the C4 system yet).  Then this AM all the thermostats were inactive in all the rooms.  

So I did some digging and pulled out the Installation guide and called the HVAC guy.  Since this home is a retrofit thermostat wise there exists no "common wire".  It appears then I need to put all the thermostats on "enable" for power stealing?  Without a common wire am I correct in this assumption?  If so why did they all work on the "disable mode" for 2 days?  Also since I have a heat only system do I need bypass resistor?  It appears this is needed when using a heat/cool system - am I incorrect?  The HVAC guy has no idea.  He has them all set on conventional/electric/electric is this correct?

I then went around and followed the instructions - took the battery out, toggled to the left to "enable" and then reinserted the battery. All the panels turned on with this change but only 5 have stayed on.  The rest came on and were in "off" mode.  when I tried to push "on" button on the left the screen went blank and has stayed blank.  Any clue what is up?

I am worried the Control 4 dealer will arrive in the AM and will say "it is an HVAC issue" The HVAC guy says it is a Control 4 issue.  AND it is 20 degrees outside with the sun out - I don't want to be without a heat source!

Please help

First which t-stats are these?

if its the older t-stats they will likely not work as they need power and power stealing may not work with radiant as far as i know.

if they are the newer c4-therm you should be okay. they just need to likely have the two proper terminals connected.

unfortunately i do not know enough about radiant floors.

I have been looking into this for a few weeks. We have radiant heat floors in two of our washrooms.  The company we have is Schluter ditra flooring.  If you are lucky enough to have warmly yours they have a relay that you can purchase and integrate with a nest and hopefully into your C4 system.  If this works for your or your dealer is able to help please let me know. https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-CA/third-party-integration

1. Cool HVAC guy.

2. first few days thermostats can work because they have back up batteries.

3. You got installed old model thermostat (not better, not worst, just old) new ones can run on back up batteries away longer, I was told half an year or more

4. there is a "power stilling mode" but it needs to be checked, because it is not only switch position changing. might be a bit complicated solution (I have no idea about your system, just saying) 

5. You need to check your wiring, if you have 3 wires coming you can make it working in regular mode, if not, so:

a.  few times we got issue solved by using remote sensors (needs 2 wires) connected instead old thermostat, and thermostats we placed in                     mechanical room near by controllers, so it was easy to rewire.

b. can enable power stilling mode, you need to review it with HVAC guy, but as I can see he doesn't know a lot.

It seems that others have asked a lot of questions. Here maybe a solution based on those questions. If you have two wires going from each thermostat location to the boiler room, then you may be able to place those thermostats in the boiler room. And wiring remote temperature sensors.

Here is a few photos in a thread I am working on a project for this reason.

MULTIPLE ZONE VALVE CONTROLLER with wired remote temperature feedback appliance solution.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=76380&share_tid=22747&url=http://www.c4forums.com/index.php?/topic/22747-MULTIPLE-ZONE-VALVE-CONTROLLER-with-wired-remote-temperature-feedback-appliance-solution%2E-&share_type=t

The remote sensors are 1.5" round and are flat and paintable. Or even wallpaper-able.

Happy Automating!

Archived