C4 Forums | Control4

What determines which controller runs Director?

jbs

Question

Thanks to the awesome assistance of Sally my HC300 is back up and running and I'm continuing my quest to migrate from 1.6. In the interim I'd been running my lights from the second controller on my network, an old Home Theatre Controller.

Question: I can now see both Controllers on my network, both have fixed IP addresses but Director is running on the HTC. Does anyone recall the process in 1.6.x for designating a different controller to run Director? I know how to move the Zigbee network but I can't for the life of me remember how to specify that Director should be running on the newly revivde HC300.

Further extending the fun, if it's in "System Manager" I can't run that at the moment -- on 2 different brand new Windows 7 installations System Manager crashes when launched. But if that's where I need to go to move Director I'll focus on getting that working.

Thanks for any advice!

17 answers to this question

I'm not sure where the confusion lies. This is not an image update via USB, it is done via the network. You download the tool, run it, it scans the network for the device, you choose the device (IOx in this case) and point that device to a target OS. The lowest you can target IOx to is 253 and the highest...is the current OS.

You can just update an IO extender with the device image updater. Never even have to deal with creating a project.

According to the details below, if the IOX is below 2.5.3 it cannot be updated using this tool. Am I reading this right?

653f8c4d3618d3bd7a97ac5d7ebbf20c.jpg

9fb54abe17478a60938afc331b5bec23.jpg

Hope this makes sense.

Most likely will need to unregistered existing hc800 and then register the hc200 then upgrade hc200 to 2.5.3 and then add IOX to hc200 project and upgrade. Then unregister the hc200 and then register the hc800 and add IOX to hc800 project. This will give you a 2.5.3 IOX on your existing project of 2.9 without downgrading any firmware.

Happy Automating!

Be Careful on that HC200 upgrade.. If you are going from a Pre 1.7x  Code you are going to jump to Zigbee Pro, and a bunch of firmware upgrades are going to take place on any zigbee items you have out there.  

IMO get the customer to Upgrade to an HC250 or EA1. They will be much happier unless you like rolling a truck for service calls.

You'd also have to unregister the existing controller running director and register the other one. And that's not going to happen on a 1.6 project anymore due to the expired security certificate on controllers below 2.2.2. You're opening a whole other can o' worms here.

How do you upgrade a vintage controller then. USB?

I have a 200 on some old 1.x OS that I need to get to 2.5.3 to the use to upgrade a IOExtender.

You'd also have to unregister the existing controller running director and register the other one. And that's not going to happen on a 1.6 project anymore due to the expired security certificate on controllers below 2.2.2. You're opening a whole other can o' worms here.

this is a fairly specific process i would suggest referring to the dealer knowledge base there. this is not something a customer can do easily.

the short

you need to disable director on the current controller

enable the director on the new controller

connect and load the project

make sure everything comes online and the zigbee all connects.

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The controller with your project installed on it runs director

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much and sorry, I should have phrased my question better. Now that it's running on the HTC, how would I *move* it back to the MC300? I know it's online at 192.168.1.151 because I can navigate to it in Windows Explorer and see things in the media folder, but when I go to FILE > CONNECT TO DIRECTOR in hopes of then LOADING a project, only the HTC (the current Director) shows up in the list, and if I add it manually by IP address it says it can't connect to director there. I assume that's because there is NOT a Director at .151, only a Controller. And I figured I need to do something first to make that "controller" run "director". Am I thinking about this wrong?

Archived