C4 Forums | Control4

Ubiquiti edge router VPN

koxkp

Question

I setup a home VPN using my Ubiquiti edge router and seems like everything is working and able to connect.

For now, I'm mostly using this on my phone to connect to the control4 app, but getting weird results.

When I connect to the VPN via cell signal (4G), it kicks into 4sight. When I'm on a wifi outside of my home + connected to the VPN it makes it so the control4 app shows like I am on the home wifi.

Is this normal to need to be on wifi and vpn to use outside of your home?

6 answers to this question

app functions the same, just when i'm on cell data + VPN it logs in with the 4sight icon in the top corner instead of the WIFI icon. Once I go on a wifi (anything external from my house wifi) and the vpn is on it gives the wifi icon in control4.

I'd like to use the VPN to look like i'm using wifi and not work off 4sight

Hi there -  C4 Dealer / Programmer here.   So the issue is the Application is intelligent enough to determine the fact that you are connected via mobile data(even though you are VPN'd in) If you wanted to verify this, share someone elses mobile phone as a wifi hotspot and connect to it via your phone (then vpn in)  you will see it thinks you are connected at home (since you are representing a local IP address).

This is fairly intentional to be able to sell 4Sight Licenses and be more efficient with data transfer.  If not every dealer on the planet would enable some sort of VPN, and skirt around it.  

A little annoying, but makes sense. I thought I might not have programmed the VPN right at first since ever talks about how VPN is faster than 4sight. It is faster when over wifi, but if I have to set my hotspot, activate VPN and then login it's not faster.

So, question answered. It's a feature, not a defect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

you need to delete the ip settings in the app. it will then force it to look at the vpn first rather than the 4sight.

Then why doesnt it need to be done if you connect via Hotspot?  It sounds counter intuitive.  VPN addressing should take priority over 4sight.  I swore up and down this was something with the application, because in the older versions of the mobile app, you could just VPN via 3G/4G and get around 4sight.  

Archived