C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos multiple rooms

abovedeck

Question

I'm wondering if my dealer did this wrong...

I'm using one sonos connect amp for a couple of rooms that are connected to my c4 amp.  When I push "Howard" on the keypads, Howard Stern starts playing. 

What I originally wanted was to be able to push the "Howard" button again and have it shut off.  And if I walk in to a room that is currently not playing, I want to be able to just push the "Howard" button and have it play, along with the original room (so don't want anything changing in other rooms).

The way my dealer programmed though makes me do an extra step-- if Howard is playing in the master bedroom and i want to listen in the office, i would have to press the "Howard" button in the office TWICE.  The first press actually stops the Sonos and the second press restarts it in whatever rooms were active, and THEN the new room.

Is there a way to avoid that second click?  His programming is attached.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 5.21.52 PM.png

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, eddy.trochez said:

In how many rooms do you want this to happen?

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

"BREAK" is completely unneeded there, though that's beside the point.

Basically all you need is

WHEN button is pushed
IF Master is ON
	Turn off Master
	Stop
IF Master is OFF
	Select Favorite

Because you only have one Sonos available, the other room will simply keep playing

Thanks. I will try this. 

On 2/13/2017 at 5:57 PM, Cyknight said:

"BREAK" is completely unneeded there, though that's beside the point.

Basically all you need is

WHEN button is pushed
IF Master is ON
	Turn off Master
	Stop
IF Master is OFF
	Select Favorite

Because you only have one Sonos available, the other room will simply keep playing

This works great.  I have not tried this, but I also have MUSIC favorites on the same keypad and WATCH functions in those rooms.  So if any of those are active, like a TV is on, or if music is already playing, clicking HOWARD will not shut the music off and start howard because my keypad press program is based on the room being off, correct?

11 minutes ago, abovedeck said:

So if any of those are active, like a TV is on, or if music is already playing, clicking HOWARD will not shut the music off and start howard because my keypad press program is based on the room being off, correct?

It WILL turn the room off, but won't start Howard.

OK, so I should just remember that if something else is happening, DOUBLE TAP will basically turn whatever is currently playing off, and then start Howard.

Thanks.  That is much better than before as I rarely have another source playing but am always moving between rooms.

FYI - a double tap is an actual programmable event. two presses right after each other (or three) can and will trigger their own event without triggering the other programming (for single/double/triple tap only, a 'press' event is still triggered

As in, instead of 'press' you could program against 'single tap' and 'double tap'

WHEN button is single tapped
IF Master is OFF
	Select Favorite

PLUS

WHEN button is double tapped
Turn room off

This way the button will not ever override an already active room, nor turn it off, when pressed by someone not quite awake ;)

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

FYI - a double tap is an actual programmable event. two presses right after each other (or three) can and will trigger their own event without triggering the other programming (for single/double/triple tap only, a 'press' event is still triggered

As in, instead of 'press' you could program against 'single tap' and 'double tap'

WHEN button is single tapped
IF Master is OFF
	Select Favorite

PLUS

WHEN button is double tapped
Turn room off

This way the button will not ever override an already active room, nor turn it off, when pressed by someone not quite awake ;)

I get that, thanks. What I meant is that if I'm watching TV in the room, simply pressing HOWARD will not turn on Howard.  Pressing Howard will actually turn the TV off, then I would need to push Howard again to turn him on, which is basically a double tap ( i know, not the same, but hitting the button twice was my point).

3 hours ago, abovedeck said:

I get that, thanks. What I meant is that if I'm watching TV in the room, simply pressing HOWARD will not turn on Howard.  Pressing Howard will actually turn the TV off, then I would need to push Howard again to turn him on, which is basically a double tap ( i know, not the same, but hitting the button twice was my point).

Yep, just wanted to point it out.

Archived