C4 Forums | Control4

HAI Houselogix Driver Problem

My installer is having a problem with the Houselogix HAI driver for my house; this is a new install.  Apparently he's been waiting since last Thursday for an answer.

I'm on 2.9.2 of c4 and 3.16 on the HAI OmniPanel.  

The installer said the problem is that the zone names are not transferring over.  Both boxes are on the same subnet.

Any thoughts.  I'm a bit frustrated with the installer; apparently this is a very common integration...

My installer is having a problem with the Houselogix HAI driver for my house; this is a new install.  Apparently he's been waiting since last Thursday for an answer.

I'm on 2.9.2 of c4 and 3.16 on the HAI OmniPanel.  

The installer said the problem is that the zone names are not transferring over.  Both boxes are on the same subnet.

Any thoughts.  I'm a bit frustrated with the installer; apparently this is a very common integration...

Make sure he prefixes the names with the appropriate symbol as outlined in the document. Which means using the SnapLink app for the omni has weird names due to the symbols in front of the zone/light names.

Thanks for the feedback.  My dealer was originally a 4 person team, one business guy, one senior tech guru, a younger (22 year old) tech and a helper.

Senior tech guy moved out of state and the younger tech doesn't like to use the phone, so I'm stuck communicating with a 60 year old "business" guy who doesn't know anything on the technology side who then acts as the intermediary for the kid who won't give out his cell phone and just is too young to have enough integration experience.  I need to get through this initial phase and then move on to another dealer.

The non-tech older guy is intimating that it may be my network gear (because we didn't use the C4-Packedge switches).  I've got HP enterprise level equipment for my switches that is working great with everything else.  Is there any chance it could be switches - seems impossible.  I don't have any VLANs, very simple network with a Sonicwall between the HP switches and the Verizon FIOS ONT

Wow, your security guy installed the HAI and is also a C4 dealer and still doesn't know how to get things properly set up and working?  Oh boy.

When in doubt, READ the **$% MANUAL.  It is clearly stated several times in the documentation what needs to be done.  Tell the old guy to put his glasses on and read.

I feel bad for you.

From a snippet right in the link you posted.

Simplified installation, based on naming different items in the HAI configuration. (New in 7.4.0) A new "friendlier" character (">") may now be used to indicate lighting units.

You can also download the driver and documentation yourself.  Pretty sure the naming convention never went away.  The last I had to deal with a HAI was less than 2 months ago, so if it changed, I'm unaware.

Here.

Before adding the main securitypanel (OS 2.8+) driver and any of its associated companion drivers to the project, you want to prepare the HAI panel configuration by naming some of - if not all - the Areas, Zones and Thermostats as well as all Units and Access Readers you plan to access with this driver, using the HAI PCAccess configuration utility.  This allows full and easy setup of this driver.   

1. At a minimum, name the highest-numbered item used in main categories (Zones and Thermostats).  For example, if zone 27 is the highest-numbered zone you plan to use, then you must give it a name in the configuration.  The driver will always add the zone number as a prefix to your zone connection name, as was done in the legacy drivers.  Similarly, the driver will add the thermostat number as a prefix to your thermostat connection name.  Naming the lower-numbered zones and thermostats is optional and the driver will give all unnamed items a generic name as required.  Also, please note that only named zones will be displayed on the navigators as NOT READY or BYPASSED. 

2. Areas are treated differently: the driver will always generate the maximum number of areas supported by the panel.  Areas, including Area 1, if named in the panel configuration, will have their name set accordingly.  (New in 8.0.0) Areas which are not configured in the HAI panel will be disabled and named “UNUSED”.  

3. You may define special names for some Units in your HAI configuration. This will trigger the creation of a RELAY or an HAI_LIGHTING connection for each such Unit. 

A RELAY connection will mirror the ON or OFF state of the Unit or Flag and can be used to give feedback to the user or perform other tasks as appropriate.  Simply prefix the Unit or Flag name with “&” in the HAI configuration (for example: &MyUnit).  The driver will remove the “&” character and add the Unit number as a prefix to the connection name.  This would primarily be used for HAI Outputs and Flags. 
Similarly, if Units are used for HAI/UPB lighting loads and keypads, you need to name all such Units and prefix their names with “$” or “>” (instead of “&”) in the HAI panel configuration (for example: $MyLight or >MyLight).  The driver will remove the “$” or “>” character and add the Unit number as a prefix to the connection name.  See the separate section on HAI/UPB Lighting Support, later in this document for more 
Version 8.0 

© Domosapiens Inc. 2015    5 

information.  Loads (Dimmer and Non-Dimming) may be included in Control4 scenes as well as programming and together with keypads, loads will generate button press events for programming. 
4. You may also define special names for Access Readers.  For each such Access Reader, this will trigger the creation of a RELAY connection which will mirror the state of the controlled door lock.  Simply prefix the Access Reader name with “&” in the HAI configuration.  The driver will remove the “&” character and add ‘R’ and the Access Reader number as a prefix to the connection name.     5. Be aware that if you have specified in your HAI panel configuration new devices (by defining a name for Areas and/or Zones and/or Thermostats and/or special names (“&” and/or “$” and/or “>” for Units and/or “&” for Access Readers) for the first time in a given category, a reboot of the Control4 director will detect this and create the appropriate bindings for each such new category.  All you need to do after this is to make the appropriate connections. 

I just saw these posts.  If the zones are named in the HAI panel configuration (using PCAccess) and downloaded to the HAI panel, then the driver is able to re-read the zone names using the Action 'Update Zone Names' in Composer.  There is no special naming requirement for Zone names, other than having the highest-numbered zone named.  This was done to avoid creating unnecessary zones in Control4.

I see that you do not need lighting or thermostats, but thermostat naming is similar to Zone naming.  In the case of UPB lighting, there is a need to prefix the HAI name with a special character($ or >) to identify this unit as a lighting unit (the other alternative is a relay unit which uses a different prefix character - &).

Paul Biron, Domosapiens

So last evening I renamed all the zones with the $ in PC Access.  

Are you saying it shouldn't have been necessary? Curious, did you get an email from my installer (CCIAV) - they said they contacted support a few times and hadn't heard back.  They are going back to the  house later today to try to finish the integration of C4 and HAI.

When you say the highest number zone needs something special - what is that?  Now that they all have the $ should Composer be able to read them all?

Zones do not need any special character.  What the driver does is read all the zone names from the panel.  The panel sends only the zones with a name defined in PCAccess.  This is why it is necessary to have at least the highest-numbered zone you need named properly.  This way, the driver will set up zones starting at 1 up to the highest one you need and assign the names it has received from the panel.  If a zone in the range does not have an HAI name, it will be called 'Zone nnn' in Control4.

Support is provided by HouseLogix directly (now owned by SnapAV).

Apparently the names weren't coming over before so we put them in.  They are going back later today.  I guess I can remove them. So the official position is that they shouldn't have been necessary.  If that's the case can you think of a reason why C4 didn't get the names?

Archived