C4 Forums | Control4

Cost of C4 Install

House72

18 minutes ago, knowitall said:

Where are you OP?

I am in Santa Clara, California

nope I did not miss. I called to confirm. It's clearly written. I run operations for a start up and think understand his pricing logic.

I called them initially for atmos quote. At that time, they asked for what i use for automation and showed them roomie remote and my irritation with that. I also told interested in C4 in future. At that time he mentioned being a dealer and can quote me. I said fine. He understood my first interest is Atmos.

In order to win business i feel he marked up products and install and reduced C4 cost to make sure I do everything. His take is I would do Atmos & Rack Clean even though it works out more and C4 is more of an after thought. At his current pricing I may not say no to C4.

Thanks

On February 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM, d1amund said:

1k to wire up speakers is no more or less reasonable without knowing the difficulties of the task. Attic work...cost can go up especially if it's hot and humid. Difficulties with getting those wires down to the rack may also be present. My point...without an actual walkthrough nobody can tell for sure from the comfort of our desks.

I can't agree with this as OP stated he has an attic with channels already for the runs directly to the rack. Maybe I'm being cynical but as a telecom guy this seems pricy. His labor rate is somewhere between 85-120$ I would imagine depending on where OP lives. He's basically suggesting it's going to take 4+ hours with pathing already mapped out for him to run 4 ceiling speakers all of which are in the same room. This isn't even cutting out and installing the speakers, which I could do all of with one tech in 4 hours, a quality job, dressed in perfectly. I didn't know cable pullers adjusted job costs depending on the temp of the attic. That seems silly. OP may have been unclear in that he is actually cutting out and installing the speakers as well. Either way, as many have stated, everything totaled together doesn't seem ridiculous by any means, the broken down costs seem off though. Don't be afraid to ask him for a reference!

Just now, d1amund said:

Ever been in an attic in Las Vegas in August?

Can't say I have. But we average 300 days of sun here, with average summer temps sitting at around 100+. I'm sure Vegas gets warmer. Can't imagine OP is getting a quote to have a C4 system installed in six months since this is a retro, but I suppose I can see why a smaller operation would adjust costs for temps like that.

When it comes to running wire in an already built home I quote as "Time and Material", unless you have LV conduit in place. Carpenters do some fairly screwy things that then get hidden by drywall and make life very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't that the truth.

I have most of my walls photographed pee drywall.

I was trying to drop a 2 core 12v wire behind a wall around my window framing. I give up. Will scrape a channel in the drywall or will glue to window frame. Maybe I'll find a better route when I change the window sills but the framing there is unfathomable

Okay.  Sorry if I was not being clear. I am going to make myself clear.

His rate seems $125 an hour. So 8 hour job for running wires through the channel and also installing 4 overhead atmos speakers. Currently these  4 may either be monitor in ceiling or martin logan in ceiling.

I again don't feel his costs are off, but distribution is off. I am worried to get screwed with a bad C4 job. With C4 you may not know job quality as well, until i put that too paces. 

Right now weather is good and I want this job done in March.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, House72 said:

Okay.  Sorry if I was not being clear. I am going to make myself clear.

His rate seems $125 an hour. So 8 hour job for running wires through the channel and also installing 4 overhead atmos speakers. Currently these  4 may either be monitor in ceiling or martin logan in ceiling.

I again don't feel his costs are off, but distribution is off. I am worried to get screwed with a bad C4 job. With C4 you may not know job quality as well, until i put that too paces. 

Right now weather is good and I want this job done in March.

Cheers

$125 and hour may be a little steep, but that all is market/region dependent. Sure, you can rush through installing in-ceiling speakers, but it's best to at least figure 30 minutes a speaker to make sure everything is done properly.  So figure 2 hours in labor for the 4 speakers alone, another hour or two for the speaker wire, then termination, cleanup, etc.  From an estimating standpoint you're looking at a day's labor.

From the C4 standpoint the most important thing he (your dealer) needs to be aware of is your network.  If you've got a solid and reliable network, setting up a single room with an EA-3 (or EA-1), with the equipment you listed, isn't going to take a whole lot of time.

At the end of the day, you've got a room with a Kaleidescape system and some nice equipment, so don't short change the room on control or the Atmos install.

56 minutes ago, Mntneer said:

$125 and hour may be a little steep, but that all is market/region dependent. Sure, you can rush through installing in-ceiling speakers, but it's best to at least figure 30 minutes a speaker to make sure everything is done properly.  So figure 2 hours in labor for the 4 speakers alone, another hour or two for the speaker wire, then termination, cleanup, etc.  From an estimating standpoint you're looking at a day's labor.

From the C4 standpoint the most important thing he (your dealer) needs to be aware of is your network.  If you've got a solid and reliable network, setting up a single room with an EA-3 (or EA-1), with the equipment you listed, isn't going to take a whole lot of time.

At the end of the day, you've got a room with a Kaleidescape system and some nice equipment, so don't short change the room on control or the Atmos install.

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. I agree not being cheap as this install will bring me happiness over a course of atleast next 3 years. My worry is with C4 programming being short changed. I will talk to the dealer again.

Cheers

• 4 years later...

Hi. Does this seem pricey?ONTROL SYSTEM UPGRADES/REPAIRS
E-MAIL:
arube1@optonline.net
AGREEMENT OF SCOPE
  QUANTITY DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE EXTENDED PRICE
1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
1.0 1.0
CONTROL4 CONTROL & MUSIC SYSTEM:
- Control4 EA-5 Entertainment and Automation Controller V2 (MSRP: $2400) - to replace HC800 - Control4 EA-1 Single-Zone AV Controller V2 (MSRP: $555) - to replace HC300
- Misc. Cables, Adapters, Connectors, etc.
- LABOR: Installation, Programming & OS3 Upgrade of Above Listed Control4 Equipment
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED NETWORK & POWER PROTECTION (not included in total):
- AN 24-Port Gigabit Network Switch with Partial PoE+, Cloud Manageable (MSRP: $849) - WB 1500 VA UPS Battery Backup with Voltage Regulation (MSRP: $1149)
- WB Power Conditioner with 12 IP Controlled Outlets, Cloud Manageable (MSRP: $799) - LABOR: Installation, Programming & Wire Cleanup for Above Listed Equipment
CCTV UPGRADE:
- HD IP Outdoor Turret Camera with Nightvision (wide angle lens) - ESTIMATED - LABOR: Installation, Programming & Aiming for Outdoor Camera
ADDITIONAL LABOR (IF NEEDED):
- LABOR: Hourly Diagnostics, Upgrades, Repairs, Programming (2 techs)
 NOTES:
-- This proposal assumes all existing wires are in working condition
-- This proposal assumes network is working and has adequate bandwidth for remote viewing -- This proposal does not guarrantee all remaining equipment is working/compatible
2250.00 495.00 100.00
725.00 990.00 650.00 500.00
185.00 80.00
 2250.00 495.00 100.00
185.00 80.00
TERMS & NOTES: This agreement is for scope of work and equipment. Only the items and labor listed above are included in the price. Changes to the items listed above will change the total. PAYMENT SCHEDULE: Signature and deposit of 75% required upon hiring/ordering materials, parts or equipment; 25% is immediately due upon substantial completion of work detailed above. Training, warranty, repairs or service will not be provided until full balance is paid. The final invoice/receipt will reflect the items and pricing listed here. Prices may vary due to tariffs or material price increases.
I, _____________________________________________ have carefully read and understand all of the line items, information, notes and terms listed above. I agree to the terms and to pay all of the charges listed here. As the property owner or owner's agent, I agree to accept the responsibility of satisfying the balance.
Signed by: _______________________________________________________ Date: _____________________
SUB-TOTAL: TAX (8.625%): DEPOSIT PAID: TOTAL:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.