C4 Forums | Control4

Spotify

jamesc4

Very much a hot topic (for me personally at least!)

I was speaking to C4 about this today as I was having issues with some Napster functionality, of which I had migrated the client from Spotify due to the recent changes. 

The current "best" way to use spotify with control 4 is to use the sharebridge driver, essentially using your device to stream (and control) Spotify. If you listen to it in a set room and don't want to have to turn the room on using the touchscreen every time you can set the sharebridge driver to auto power that room. 

5 minutes ago, Benn Howard said:

The current "best" way to use spotify with control 4 is to use the sharebridge driver, essentially using your device to stream (and control) Spotify. If you listen to it in a set room and don't want to have to turn the room on using the touchscreen every time you can set the sharebridge driver to auto power that room. 

assuming you are using iOS.

Heos can be used or Chromecast audio too

Surely they can't be serious...  C4 has no way of direct integration with Spotify??

Haven't they heard of it?  Has anyone actually asked the question?

Yes. The question is asked regularly. Control4 can only work with people that want to work with them...

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

So why can Sonus, Yamaha, Apple and everyone else seem to do it??  Surely Spotify is the biggest thing in music and C4 want to be the biggest thing in HA so wouldn't they get with the program?

Crestron did.. https://www.crestron.com/products/model/CEN-NSP-1

probably extremely expensive but it is what we need in C4!

The cynic in me would suggest C4 don't want to pay a licensing fee!!!!

So why can Sonus, Yamaha, Apple and everyone else seem to do it??  Surely Spotify is the biggest thing in music and C4 want to be the biggest thing in HA so wouldn't they get with the program?

Crestron did.. https://www.crestron.com/products/model/CEN-NSP-1

probably extremely expensive but it is what we need in C4!

The cynic in me would suggest C4 don't want to pay a licensing fee!!!!

The Creston you link to is the same.product as the Control4 wireless music bridge. It also contains what Controlr call shairplay for airplay distribution, however this is now native on the current Controllers and the 800 which kinda depreciated the functionality of the WMB

4 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

The Creston you link to is the same.product as the Control4 wireless music bridge or shairplay for airplay native on the current Controllers and the 800

does the wireless music bridge allow me to see Spotify on the touch screens?

does the wireless music bridge allow me to see Spotify on the touch screens?

It shows transport and volume and now playing.

Unless you linked the wrong device I don't see that Creston device doing more.

Also, Creston had to build a miniapp version of the SONOS UI/UX into their system to keep full SONOS functionality after SONOS disabled their old API.

Both Sonos and Spotify don't want to share their toys in the sandbox anymore. Both consider their UI to be their USP so are restricting (Sonos) cutting off (Spotify) access to those that navigate through it and make calls direct to the underlying music etc.

ok, thanks for the info... I guess Pandora it is then.... ironically it is what is in my Toyota SUV so may as well check it out...

Perhaps Spotify are watching from the shadows and realising they lose accounts by trying to be clever might change their mind.

what about this??

1. That was uploaded in April 2015. Things have changed since then.

2. That is using the fusion ovation music server on the back end.

Www.fusionrd.com indicates it still works but you may well be paying for the privilege. Considering Napster, Tidal, deezer and Pandora work out if the box on C4 controllers without additional hardware (unlike Creston which needs more audio boxes) that's a cost vs benefit decision for you to make.

Soundiiz.com will convert your playlists to the new provider making the transition easier.

There's a new driver released a couple of weeks ago for the Fusion servers. Unfortunately, Fusion is very vague about how the driver works. (How hard can it be to upload an actual iPad footage of the driver in action, really?) The new driver supports mini-drivers so you can use the Fusion box for Spotify only if you want. I'll be getting a demo unit in the next few days and I'll post a detailed video of the interface. If anyone has any questions about the Spotify integration, please ask away.

Eddy

Hey all, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like fusion research is a Spotify approved hardware device. And then fusion research created a driver that communicates between their hardware and Control4. I don't see how this would break, unless fusion research became an unsupported hardware source for Spotify

Happy Automating!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 11:11 AM, C4CA said:

I have both fusion and autonomics working directly with Spotify. Both have easy integration, similar setup as previous sonos.

whats the price tag to get it all working?

I'm tossing Spotify and Soros and using C4 native apps only-- Tidal and Pandora. The best answer me thinks. 

Started using tidal recently, really love it. Still missing some music selection so I might not completely ditch Spotify yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Archived