C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Dealer Remote Access

byronomo

Question

If I have selected a dealer via 4Sight and have also checked the permission box allowing the dealer to access my system remotely, does the dealer ALSO need my individual 4Sight user name and password in order to do remote programming?

Alternately, can/should the dealer be set up as an additional user with all permissions granted and be able to remotely program that way?

18 answers to this question

i just noticed on my account the following is checked and grey out so that i cant change:  (first and last are checked)

Permissions

I allow my system to be serviced and updated remotely by my dealer, installer, or Control4 support personnel.I allow my system to be updated automatically with critical software updates from Control4.I want to receive Control4 product information to my email.

Nice try by your dealer.

But no.

Prior to 2.4 you (the client)  HAD to have 4Sight OR it was a request that could take hours (up to 24 max) to connect remotely (on daily chack-in) - but at least as far back as 1.7.4 it's worked the same for remote support.

Now, it MAY have been different back at 1.6 or perhaps 1.3 - fair chance it couldn't be done before 1.2.5 (a huge change in how a lot of system/composer functions worked). I won't claim certainty from memory THAT far back....

In case anyone is interested.....(I am OP), I ultimately asked the dealer why he needed my password while he was here doing some programming tweaks to my system, and he said that because I'm on 2.5.3, he needs my sign-on information to operate remotely.  He said that for NEWER versions that he does not need my password to access my system remotely.

He suggested that since he was here, I could simply enter my login information into his system (a login screen for my system) once and it would be remembered on his system so that he can login remotely from then on.   Seemed like I'd end up in the same place that I wanted to be in in the first place (dealer has access without knowing my password), so I agreed.   Seem reasonable to you experienced folks?

Note that not EVERY dealer employee with a Composer License can access any or all clients registered under the account. Main admin can set to allow or dissallow it completely per user, not to mention set it to specific accounts only. On top of that, there's dealers and sub dealers which can muck up the picture for remote access as well.

Let's summarize.

-Only the dealer registered under your account has the ability to connect to your system, no other dealer can.

-Remote access is ONLY available if the checkbox to allow this is set.

-Only a person/programmer with a Composer license can use ComposerPro

-Those license are assigned directly to a user and can get revoked at any time

-NOT every user with a license also has the ability to do remote access, as this is a setting on the account

-Even if a user has remote access to SOME clients, they may not have access to all clients as a user can be restricted to specific (client) accounts

-Dealer/Sub dealer setup may prevent a programmer from accessing certain accounts

As to why the person you're dealing with needs a PW - see above. There may well be very valid reasons for it. My advise? Make a new user with limited permission (in particular no account admin - and delete or change the password afterwards.

As for seeing the codes, yes a programmer can see your lock codes and/or change or set them (understand that if he/she couldn't neither could you with HE for example. Might be better if not, but then again, you could argue the same for any security installer. Or police officers and desk workers having access to someones personal info, or a doctor, or a nurse, or the local city employee, your employer and the HR and Account workers for your company and.....

Having access to lock and user codes of a client really isn't a big deal. Why would I bother getting them? If I had ill intend, there would be much better/easier ways of going about it.

i recently bought / had set up control4 in my home.  upon finishing the dealer mentioned that we set up a name and password for me and that he needs me to allow him to have access to this so that he can remotely change things at my place etc.  he stated all his customers were set up this way.  

my concern began when we programmed my kwikset lock and he basically now can see every single code i put in or enter or change etc.  this doesnt seem logical to me at all.  

i have decided i would change all my codes and also change my acct pw as well. 

seems like creating a "code" for him to program remotely for a short time is all that is needed here right? otherwise all control4 programmers etc would have access to nearly every control4 home...

If I have selected a dealer via 4Sight and have also checked the permission box allowing the dealer to access my system remotely, does the dealer ALSO need my individual 4Sight user name and password in order to do remote programming?

Alternately, can/should the dealer be set up as an additional user with all permissions granted and be able to remotely program that way?

As you can see above from OP, I used the term 4sight to relate to how he saw his my.control4.com account.  

As long as the controller is registered to your current dealer, and is on a 2.x version of the director - there should be no reason for them to need 4sight 

I used the same term that the opening poster used. To help simplify the information.

Happy Automating!

The only reason I can think of them needing your login credentials would be to use, for testing purposes one would hope, the mobile app or my home for PC/Mac.

If they are working remotely, they won't have access to the system via Navigator (what you see on your TV, touch panel, app for instance). That being said, if this is a remote dealer you've selected via the internet (i.e. These guys are not the actual installer in your area who you've welcomed into your home and trust) then I would be hesitant giving them the credentials.

As for allowing remote access for programming you can enable/disable that on the fly on an as needed basis as the need arises.

Archived