C4 Forums | Control4

Whole house C4 switch replacement - Advice please!!

AdamCMH

I'm new to Control 4 and have made a substantial investment in the system to do the audio and media in my house. Before I moved into this house I had a small Insteon system in my old house and found it to be very reliable, worked 99.9% of the time. I'm getting really close to investing into the C4 dimmers and switches in this house but want to be assured they are reliable. I'm looking at installing over 150 switches which are a combination of dimmers and remotes. I currently have an EA-5 controller. Can anyone give me any advice on the following:

1.) Does 150 switches push the limits of the system at all?

2.) Will that many switches cause light switch remotes to respond slow?

3.) How reliable are the switches? (IE. How often will the signal fail and not turn on the desired light?)

4.) What color is easier to match other "dumb" switches to "white" or "snow white"?

Thank you,
Adam 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Knowitall for the responce.

1.) I have an EA5

2.) As I understand it there are two types of switches DIMMERS which have a load and REMOTES which only remote control another dimmer. We would be using the remotes in a 3-way environment where only 1 dimmer is needed and 2 remote switches are used to control the dimmer. 

It's called an Auxiliary not a Remote.

Let's get one thing straight. 150 zigbee nodes in a perfect environment with no interference and a single wide open space would likely work. But, you don't live in a perfect environment. You will need 2-3 controllers running a mesh; maybe more, we have no idea though without seeing the layout of the house, the relationship between nodes, what the nodes are (locks and shades need special attention) and what other 2.4ghz devices are nearby. Let your dealer, hopefully proficient at zigbee mesh design figure it out for you...your job is to cut the check :)

A properly designed ZigBee network will work perfectly. You'll need secondary controllers to help with the ZigBee network. But I guess the info you're looking for is whether or not it'll work. It will; Control4 is a professional home automation system and suitable enough for your needs. Number 4, are you referring to non-control4 dumb switches? You want to use the Control4 auxiliary keypads (dumb switches).

I have never had one of my light dimmers fail to respond. They are incredibly solid. The remote controls on the other hand...... 3.5 out of 5 stars. Routinely have to take the batteries out to reset them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

@Dave w 

Thank you!! You have really peaked my interest in Lutron RA2. I've seen Lutron used in lots of commercial applications. They are rock solid!

How tight is the integration between Lutron and C4? Would I have any disadvantages to using RA2? My electrician did my Insteon install years ago, I imagine he could do the RA2 install and then just have my C4 guy connect the systems together? 

I'm tech savy and I almost passed on C4 because I could not edit the programming myself. In the end I gave in but if I could have control of the lights at least...LOL

14 minutes ago, AdamCMH said:

@Dave w 

Thank you!! You have really peaked my interest in Lutron RA2. I've seen Lutron used in lots of commercial applications. They are rock solid!

How tight is the integration between Lutron and C4? Would I have any disadvantages to using RA2? My electrician did my Insteon install years ago, I imagine he could do the RA2 install and then just have my C4 guy connect the systems together? 

I'm tech savy and I almost passed on C4 because I could not edit the programming myself. In the end I gave in but if I could have control of the lights at least...LOL

Get HE and you can edit the programming 

For Lutron RA2, you will find it almost seemless. However, this will require almost literally double the work in programming. You will need to build the system in RA2, then build the system in Control4 as well. For each dimmer you want to control independently within the Control4 environment, you will need to add a driver. The driver will then need to be addressed to match the RA2 address.

As for lighting scenes, if you create them in the RA2 environment, you can then use virtual keypad's to activate those scenes. And then have Control4 essentially press that virtual keypad.

There is a lot of back-and-forth between the two options, but if you want simplicity and guaranteed going to work all the time every time, within control4, then the recommendation will be to use the Control4 product.

Hope this makes sense and of course there are more knowledgable users on here who may be able to add to this.

One additional question, is this home a remodel or still in construction? Or are there clusters of switches in closets. Or standard light switch placement around the house?

Happy Automating!

Yes, HE is limiting. But only to the extent that it prevents you from causing an issue with device bindings. If all of your devices are configured and added by your dealer, then almost everything you could want as a homeowner and even an advanced techie, you can do. Creating light scenes, adding schedules and timers. Even advanced programming and macros can be achieved using composer HE.

Happy Automating!

I'm new to Control 4 and have made a substantial investment in the system to do the audio and media in my house. Before I moved into this house I had a small Insteon system in my old house and found it to be very reliable, worked 99.9% of the time. I'm getting really close to investing into the C4 dimmers and switches in this house but want to be assured they are reliable. I'm looking at installing over 150 switches which are a combination of dimmers and remotes. I currently have an EA-5 controller. Can anyone give me any advice on the following:

1.) Does 150 switches push the limits of the system at all?

2.) Will that many switches cause light switch remotes to respond slow?

3.) How reliable are the switches? (IE. How often will the signal fail and not turn on the desired light?)

4.) What color is easier to match other "dumb" switches to "white" or "snow white"?

Thank you,

Adam 

I have done a House with 225 Zigbee devices and highly recommend that you have EA-5 as your Director and have a couple of EA-1's or EA-3's on complete separate Meshe's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the cost of just using Phillip hue bulbs, strips and lights ? 

Gives you a lot of flexibility, work very well with C4 and everything else 

Yuck. Hit one light switch and it's all messed up. No thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

From bitter personal experience, just now ending, I can tell you that two of the pieces of advice given already are spot on:

1. Use white, not snow white. 

2. The handheld remotes are flaky, they need the batteries removed often, just as described.  I bought five of them, total waste of money.  Following advice on this forum, I replaced the five with three Echo Dots, one on each floor, for lighting control only.  Slight flaky too, Alexa replies that the lights are not responding sometimes, but in fact they do respond and I always get the action I asked for, so that's OK with me,  I am 100% sure this will improve over time.

Let me add, if I may:

3. The C4 keypads and light switches are wonderful, rock solid.  But I would add (other people here disagree with me), get genuine C4 switch-plates to avoid a "pinching" issue that can sometimes (not always) occur with non-C4 switch-plates.

4. Advanced Lighting Scenes in Composer HE are fantastic, they do everything you need with no programming, especially if you put multiple actions under a single load (with delays).  You need to do just a little programming with the Scheduler Agent, but it's all point-and-click, for outdoor lights and mockupancy.  As also said in this thread, once your dealer binds every button on every keypad to a script, appropriately named, there is NOTHING you can't do in HE (except add new devices).

Please understand that I am NOT an expert, just a newbie user.  But I have spent 100's of hours on this, so I thought maybe I could help.

1 minute ago, Larry said:

2. The handheld remotes are flaky, they need the batteries removed often, just as described.  I bought five of them, total waste of money.  Following advice on this forum, I replaced the five with three Echo Dots, one on each floor, for lighting control only.  Slight flaky too, Alexa replies that the lights are not responding sometimes, but in fact they do respond and I always get the action I asked for, so that's OK with me,  I am 100% sure this will improve over time.

that singles a zigbee issue - remotes are very reliable.

Get Control4 dimmers/switches. They work rock solid and the LED feedback is nice (maybe RadioRa has that, but I don't think so). I change the colors of the LEDs with certain events.

I have around that many devices and I have an HC800 and HC300c. Both old equipment and both centrally located in the rack...everything runs fine. I don't distribute them around the house and have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived