C4 Forums | Control4

HIKVision or Axis Cameras

Glloyd77

So my local supplier is discounting video surveillance supplies and I think I am going to take the opportunity to swap my old analog cameras for IP cameras.  My question is this - should I go with HIK which my rep sells or hold out for Axis.  I have heard Axis cameras are higher quality and a better overall system.  I could also use Lilin which my rep also sells.  I am tempted to use them as they are marketed by Control4 and I would assume integration into the system is easiest.  I am also going to upgrade my security system to Honeywell and could use their cameras.  I have heard that Honeywell cameras are the same as HIK or Lilin as these are the primary manufacturers of most cameras anyway.

These are the HIK Cameras I am looking at.  EXIR 5mp.  What HIK DVR integrates best with Control4?  I am open to options, other suggestions, and haven't really picked out any comparable Axis or other cameras if I don't go with HIK.  Looking for suggestions for both cameras and DVRs.  Have to purchase in the next 48 hours if I go with HIK. 

Appreciate the thoughts!

I wouldnt use Hik for the simple fact that when you plug one in, and it can see the internet so can its Chinese Owners. They are owned by the Chinese Govt and have a back door into every camera. You can do it, but I like security.

7 hours ago, adamt said:

I wouldnt use Hik for the simple fact that when you plug one in, and it can see the internet so can its Chinese Owners. They are owned by the Chinese Govt and have a back door into every camera. You can do it, but I like security.

Oh my God,  can see why you guys carry guns and pay for health care. 

Love it 

4 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Oh my God,  can see why you guys carry guns and pay for health care. 

Love it 

Not sure where you are going with that but it has been a well know, and well discussed fact that the Hik stuff reports home to China. This is also why they are removing them from all US Embassy's. Has nothing to do with guns or health care but think what you want.

8 hours ago, Glloyd77 said:

Gary -

I would prefer not to pay for healthcare, but until that happens which cameras would you choose?

We use Hikvison Camera`s and they are great. 

We have not yet had any Black Cars turn up at the door asking us about how we get strips in the lawn. 

However they is a funny couple moved it at number 17 who have a Chinese Nanny 

15 hours ago, jamesc4 said:

I assume there is Axis C4 Drivers

Do we know if Axis Cameras work well on the T3's ?

And Which NVR do you use ?

Plenty of Axis drivers.

They work great on T3's, Navigator and even the old flash navigator.

I use Synology NAS's and run Surveillance Station.  But they pretty much work with any ONVIF compatible NVR

14 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We use Hikvison Camera`s and they are great. 

We have not yet had any Black Cars turn up at the door asking us about how we get strips in the lawn. 

However they is a funny couple moved it at number 17 who have a Chinese Nanny 

Its more about a route in to the network.

Granted my knowledge or browsing habits are of little interested to China, however many people including stock brokers and big wigs of major companies could well be a different story. 

Just ensure you lock your network down.

I have the joy of working in the security industry and they is software on the market that will hack "any" IP Camera.

I had the joy of seeing this in action at MILPOL in Qatar (2012).

They hack mine live while I watched - Its was amazing,

That's when we had a couple of FOSCAM

We install about 500+ cameras a year in my company.  AXIS is definitely not worth the price of admission. If you buy their lower cost lines it doesn't compare in image quality to the camera you linked. If you browse the web interface you can disable the outbound cloud services that they say could be accessed by the manufacturer.  Do the same on the NVR.  If money was no object I would get the high end AXIS cameras but for most people/jobs the Hik will fit the bill.  I would rather buy an American made product but those are hard to find.  

Control-IT that is why I decided to stay with HIK.  Didn't really have $500-800 to spend on each camera.  Out the door for less than $2k for a NVR and 8 cameras with room to expand was more in my price range.  Never setup my own camera system with integration into Control4 so we will see what happens.  Which driver do you recommend for HIK?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, lippavisual said:

Plenty of Axis drivers.

They work great on T3's, Navigator and even the old flash navigator.

I use Synology NAS's and run Surveillance Station.  But they pretty much work with any ONVIF compatible NVR

Sounds good....

Regarding the NVR, If i have a project that will have about 20 IP Cameras at 3 or 4MP.

In order to keep the Network Traffic light i assume to get a NVR that has build in POE Ports (Like some of the HIKVision's)

Is this assumption

correct?

i see Synology is just a NVR without POE.

Thoughts?

I am in the same shoes as you there are so many cameras NVR'S, DvR's etc and never a list of which ones just work with Conrtol4.@msgreenf is a master with camera drivers and helping really I haven't met someone better. The problem with the manufacturers is they support some of the features like you will get it streaming but then C4 doesn't support the stream types to all the navigators I.e TVs etc it's as irritating as f@&R!!! I think they fixed this in the TV output of the E series controllers?@msgreenf? Cameras are the bane of my C4 install....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived