C4 Forums | Control4

Switch issue?

I'm having trouble with a light that doesn't go completely off when the switch it turned off.  There is an LED light bulb and when the switch is turned off the light dims, but doesn't go completely off.  There is a dimmer and a dumb switch.   Everything has worked fine for 2+ years.

I've powered cycled the circuit, not sure what else I can try.

Does this mean the dimmer/switch is failing?

It is the curved style.   There are two bulbs, one is now out, assumed it burned out due to this issue, the other is an LED, been in for a couple of months.

I rebooted the switch with the 15 taps, but still same issue.

I'm assuming this is a dimmer. Chances are that you are lower than the minimum wattage with the one bulb - it would have been fine before because the two combined bulbs had a high enough wattage to cover it.

Below minimum wattage will result in exactly what you see - the bulb(s) will either glow a bit, or flicker on and off.

I saw that issue before, client changed bulbs and got that issue- dimmer didn't turn light, off. I assume because he didn't restart the dimmer and device tried to work in mode not compatible for new load (forward phase instead reverse phase), So I changed dimmer after all.

5 hours ago, vitali said:

I saw that issue before, client changed bulbs and got that issue- dimmer didn't turn light, off. I assume because he didn't restart the dimmer and device tried to work in mode not compatible for new load (forward phase instead reverse phase), So I changed dimmer after all.

i order a new bulb exactly the same as the other one.   Lets hope that solves it.   Otherwise I guess i need to replace both the switch and the dimmer.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:41 PM, Brownbatsbreath said:

The switch is fine.

Replaced the burned out bulb, with the same wattage bulb as it was before. 

Post results. 

I changed the bulb and put in the exact same bulb in both sockets.   Both are LED PAR20 7W.    I did the 15 tap reset and now when i turn it off, both bulbs go really low, but not completely off.  

I originally had a mix of the LED and a regular PAR20 bulb and everything worked fine until the regular PAR20 bulb burned out. 

58 minutes ago, jmb said:

I changed the bulb and put in the exact same bulb in both sockets.   Both are LED PAR20 7W.    I did the 15 tap reset and now when i turn it off, both bulbs go really low, but not completely off.  

I originally had a mix of the LED and a regular PAR20 bulb and everything worked fine until the regular PAR20 bulb burned out. 

What's the model of the dimmer? Is there a neutral connected to the dimmer?

On 2/23/2017 at 11:36 AM, Cyknight said:

I'm assuming this is a dimmer. Chances are that you are lower than the minimum wattage with the one bulb - it would have been fine before because the two combined bulbs had a high enough wattage to cover it.

Below minimum wattage will result in exactly what you see - the bulb(s) will either glow a bit, or flicker on and off.

I'm now suspecting that using two LED"s i'm still below the minimum wattage for the forward phase dimmer.   When I had two of the regular PAR20's I was good, but now with two led's instead, I probably need to use an adaptive phase dimmer, right ?   OR don't use the LED"S.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

ADAPTIVE phase is 1W WITH a neutral, 7W without BUT you can only do this with Incandescent and Halogen without neutral, LED and CFL are likely to not work well)

FORWARD phase 4.5W WITH neutral and 25 without.

Mind you I don't like going under 10w

Thanks, So if there are only two light sockets, you wouldn't use LED's as you'd be under the 10W, right?

35 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

You can always use 10 w or 14 w led and set the max as 50% That may work.

I have a outlet dimmer that I do that on.

This. Use a slightly higher LED than you really need/want. From there you set the max output of the dimmer as desired/required.

Archived