C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Homebridge Driver Released

12 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I've got an extra Pi 3 kicking around...is it possible to try out your driver? What does just the driver cost?

If you know your way around linux and using the Pi, you're free to use my Pi OS image to get things setup quickly.  It comes pre-installed with everything you need, including my easy-to-use web portal software.  If you want to use the web management portal, I license that for $50, but everything else in the OS image works without license.

The driver at HouseLogix has a 48 hour trial period.  It's $175 to purchase.

The Pi Zero image is here -> http://josh-firmware.s3.amazonaws.com/homebridge_1.0.1_pi0.tar.gz

The Pi 3 image is here -> http://josh-firmware.s3.amazonaws.com/homebridge_1.0.1_pi3.tar.gz

These are compressed and minimized images, so don't forget to login and do "sudo raspi-config" to expand the flash disk partition to fill your disk space.

19 minutes ago, andre.baracat said:

Joshua, how does your driver deal with Air Conditioning? My c4 controls two way 2 thermostats, would I be able to tell Siri to set my temperature to 75 for example?

At the moment, I have my Nest thermostats integrated directly at the homebridge level, not by connecting to C4.  Supporting C4 thermostats is on my to-do list.  Once the thermostats are in HomeKit, you can certainly tell Siri to to set the temp to 75, or tell Siri to change the AC mode to heating.

At the moment, I have my Nest thermostats integrated directly at the homebridge level, not by connecting to C4.  Supporting C4 thermostats is on my to-do list.  Once the thermostats are in HomeKit, you can certainly tell Siri to to set the temp to 75, or tell Siri to change the AC mode to heating.

Interesting! This is kind of a deal breaker to me as of right now I wanted to set a scene with lights and ac when I enter / leave the house.

My AC is not nest, just a regular c4 integrated solution

2 minutes ago, andre.baracat said:

Interesting! This is kind of a deal breaker to me as of right now I wanted to set a scene with lights and ac when I enter / leave the house.

My AC is not nest, just a regular c4 integrated solution

Yeah... thermostats are a little more complicated in terms of devices in HomeKit, but this is the next device I'm going to be working on, so stay tuned.

I haven't played much with Alexa, as I'm a completely Apple household, and I didn't want more devices in the home to overlap with what I already had. 

I think there's some pros and cons to both. 

Apple/Homebridge:

* Directly integrated with Apple ecosystem and functions natively in all Apple devices. 

* Not a cloud-based service

* Responds and updates very quickly. 

* Extremely easy to setup, with no C4 programming required. 

* Limited to fixed HomeKit commands and can't include custom variables in speech (but can use custom values for known hardware, such as dimmers)

Alexa:

* More open ecosystem with a variety of 3rd party "skills" and plugins. 

* More configurable and can include custom "variables" in spoken text. 

* Can use programming to create complex interactions. 

* Can integrate more interestingly with IFTTT. 

* Relies on Amazon's web services and may be delayed by round trip networking requests. 

Bottom line in my opinion is that there's a lot of personal preference involved. I really like my HomeKit setup and don't really see a need for a bunch of dots around my house, since my phone and Apple Watch or Apple TV are always handy to take commands. But some folks really want the open nature of Alexa and the more expansive nature that "skills" offer. 

Thank you for that information.

I am all Apple here and apreciate this info. I have a small (house ) project and one Echo would do the job mainly because the better half still needs to be sold on Automation.

After reading your reply I have a tough decision to make !

Thanks

P

16 minutes ago, dhendriksen said:

When using your product can you string things together? IE: Hey Siri, turn off the kitchen lights and bathroom lights, and turn on the back deck lights."?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's going to be dependent on HomeKit, not my product. My product exposes C4 devices as HomeKit devices, which respond appropriately to HomeKit commands. The entire front-end is handled by Apple's stuff. 

That said, I haven't tried chaining lots of commands into a single Siri request. Depending on what you're doing, you might use HomeKit scenes to make that simpler, or use a virtual switch in your project to trigger C4 scenes. But what you want may work already. I'll give it a try when I have a chance and post back. Even if it doesn't work now, Apple may add that in the next iOS update. 

That's going to be dependent on HomeKit, not my product. My product exposes C4 devices as HomeKit devices, which respond appropriately to HomeKit commands. The entire front-end is handled by Apple's stuff. 

That said, I haven't tried chaining lots of commands into a single Siri request. Depending on what you're doing, you might use HomeKit scenes to make that simpler, or use a virtual switch in your project to trigger C4 scenes. But what you want may work already. I'll give it a try when I have a chance and post back. Even if it doesn't work now, Apple may add that in the next iOS update. 

I understand it's Apple and not your appliance that dictates that, I should have phrased my question differently but I appreciate you answering. How much is your plug and play appliance and corresponding driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, prabeau said:

Thank you for that information.

I am all Apple here and apreciate this info. I have a small (house ) project and one Echo would do the job mainly because the better half still needs to be sold on Automation.

After reading your reply I have a tough decision to make !

Thanks

P

You're welcome. I'd far rather you get what works best for you than sell you something that's not what you're looking for.  I will say that the most frequent comment I've gotten is "It responds so much faster than I was expecting". With my HomeKit setup, the system responds almost as fast as using the native C4 app manually. 

The other thing you can do is use Apple's automations in HomeKit. You can trigger things on arriving or leaving home, for example, which uses Apple's internal location monitoring to trigger things. 

7 minutes ago, dhendriksen said:

How much is your plug and play appliance and corresponding driver?

The device is $225. You're welcome to setup your own (free) or use your own hardware and my OS image ($50) as cheaper options. The benefit of my plug and play option is ease of setup and configuration. 

The driver is $175. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Josh,

First of all, everything works AWESOME!!!!! Except for the thermostat, I'm 100% sold.

The problem is you expired my driver April 1st and it took me 2 hour to figure out why it woulndt work (I hate that)

How about an email or heads up the driver is ging to expire. I rely on my for everything from evening scenes to garage doors.

Anyway, no on should have any issues iwth this . User easy and actually WORKS!!!!!!!! Buy It. I sent Alexa back in 2 weeks

37 minutes ago, schrady said:

Josh,

First of all, everything works AWESOME!!!!! Except for the thermostat, I'm 100% sold.

The problem is you expired my driver April 1st and it took me 2 hour to figure out why it woulndt work (I hate that)

How about an email or heads up the driver is ging to expire. I rely on my for everything from evening scenes to garage doors.

Anyway, no on should have any issues iwth this . User easy and actually WORKS!!!!!!!! Buy It. I sent Alexa back in 2 weeks

I did state in my post when I released the last update that it would expire April 1. :-P

Ya know... first taste is free. 

Glad to hear you're enjoying the setup. I've got some bigger issues to deal with first, and then I'll get on the thermostat connection. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2017 at 10:28 AM, Joshua Pressnell said:

, triggering scenes when iOS detects you've arrived or left home (more reliable than other geo-location methods)

Can you or a user elaborate on this?  I've been burnt on SmartThings and a third party driver for Geolocation.  I want a solid solution.  What makes this more reliable?

In iOS 11 Apple is working to improve their GeoLocation capabilities in HomeKit.  I don't know exactly *what* they're doing under-the-hood, and your milage may vary.  

I do know that they've added the ability to keep track of which users are home, based on their individual devices.  So you can have triggers based on "first user home" and "last user left home", etc.  I would guess that they're using "significant location tracking" and "geo fencing" as the root of the feature, plus also possibly the combination of location updates with the device joining a known "home" wifi network.  Since Apple "owns" the OS, they can do things that mere 3rd party mortals can't when it comes to "home presence identification".

I can't vouch for exactly how well it will work for all users, as I've only played with it a little bit (iOS 11 developer beta), but I do know that they claimed at WWDC that this feature would be getting better.

To tie that into Control4, you'd use a series of "virtual switches" that represent Boolean variables in the C4 system.  Then use HomeKit's location triggers to turn appropriate "Is User Home" or "All Users Gone" states via the switches, and possible also trigger switches for when particular users are home, so you can have variable states (and thus programming) for states like "only my wife is home".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.