C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendation: Door Bell / Camera

Hi all,

So starting to get a little tired of the conventional doorbell I have. I have been looking at options had a look at the new Tx touch screens which I love but then I have to cut walls and the "visual point" for the doorbell is in one place.

I then looked at  "Ring" and "SkyBell" - And this looks cool but not to sure how well it integrates into C4, so whilst it rings, it sends something to my phone and I can see who is there... how does it do in the Sun (Where I live the door bell will be in direct sun and gets to 40+ degrees C not F), latency is a massive thing for me and reading (yes I did do some research) - there seems to be lag between door bell press and when you can see the picture - would hate to know what that is between the system and C4 itself.

Which then leaves me with - what can I use for a doorbell - 

1. Main use would be to make some sort of Alert - Visual is Nice to have but if its laggy or buggy in the system not to interested

2. Needs to integrate into C4 - Obviously 

What are most dealers installing now a days and recommending? What are some of the great drivers out there for these solutions?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Visual is not that important (although still available through the Ring app), then Ring would probably be the way to go.  Take at look at the following article:

http://www.cepro.com/article/control4_finally_integrates_directly_with_ring_video_doorbell_sort_of

Plenty of alerts and triggers that you can program with Control4 and Ring.

What are most dealers installing now a days and recommending?  This question seems to be the most frustrating for us dealers.  We know that certain solutions (i.e. - Control4, Doorbird, etc.) have some challenges when compared to the DIY market (specifically, remote video) but also comes at a greater price point.  As I'm sure all of us are waiting for Control4 to open up the SIP capabilities of their doorstation, it's just a matter of wait and see. 

Thank you for the reply. When you say if visual is not important is that because it is as bad as what I have read? WRT latency etc as explained by users or are we just in a senario of square hole round peg?

I am OK if the answer is a battery operated doorbell with a cheap buzzer is all we have for now as the best solution. Just thought by now there was some cool ideas.

Firing up a TV changing source etc each time someone rings your doorbell is clunky and depending on the state of the TV (ON / OFF) could be coming on by the time the person presses again and again etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the holovision door station.  I can get video to pop on the touch screen within a 2-3 seconds.  Not perfect but seems on par against other options.  I like the fit and finish and how the camera can swivel to get the best angle.  No mobile option so when out of the house I just get photos texted to my phone which is fine.  

We have the C4 DS2 and works perfectly and rings bell in an instant (and sends email with snapshot). Also works as intercom with the touchscreens (we have four). Our installer did the work. Not cheap but I've realized that the C4 native hardware always works best. We have also integrated it with baldwin lock and they works perfectly too. 

Thank you all for your feedback! Some great points. I think what I was trying to point out was that - I am trying to avoid having to go touch screen simply because it limits you to a specific point in the house.

However having said that it does look like this is the best integrated option right now to be honest. The other options seem like they take a while. Imaging someone pressing your doorbell and you waiting for a mail

Now it seems like I have to go back to good old basic battery operated doorbell as there is no real option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Ring Doorbell is your best bet. Your phone is how you can answer it if you want to see video. How ever it can still ring the old bell, do any programming event in C4 as well as you could add ring chimes anywhere in the home. 

Are there any basic wireless doorbell systems that have a closed contact output that could be used to integrate with C4 to trigger programming events (a C4 chime event and an IP cam opening on touchscreens or video devices, lights, etc...)?  I haven't been able to find one, but its seems like they should be available.  

4 minutes ago, Dave w said:

Are there any basic wireless doorbell systems that have a closed contact output that could be used to integrate with C4 to trigger programming events (a C4 chime event and an IP cam opening on touchscreens or video devices, lights, etc...)?  I haven't been able to find one, but its seems like they should be available.  

Blackwire sells one from Axxis

24 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

The Ring Doorbell is your best bet. Your phone is how you can answer it if you want to see video. How ever it can still ring the old bell, do any programming event in C4 as well as you could add ring chimes anywhere in the home. 

Any chance you could write a driver for the August doorbell camera like you have the Ring camera?

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Blackwire sells one from Axxis

I looked at that one, its perfect except that its Zigbee and I don't have the mesh coverage to go out to my front door. Besides a few remotes, its would be my only zigbee device. 

Just now, Dave w said:

I looked at that one, its perfect except that its Zigbee and I don't have the mesh coverage to go out to my front door. Besides a few remotes, its would be my only zigbee device. 

oh wow! yeah....so that would be a problem.  put a few lights in :) 

I am not aware of a button only wifi option

I had a RING Pro and took it out. You cannot view the videos unless you pay them a monthly fee. Not happening.

I put in SkyBell - works a treat. Videos are excellent. It does not integrate directly with Control 4 but using IFTTT it works a treat.

Skybell is my call on this one.

Doorbird is nice - but it is REALLY ugly.

• 11 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, TexasBill said:

I had a RING Pro and took it out. You cannot view the videos unless you pay them a monthly fee. Not happening.

I put in SkyBell - works a treat. Videos are excellent. It does not integrate directly with Control 4 but using IFTTT it works a treat.

Skybell is my call on this one.

Doorbird is nice - but it is REALLY ugly.

OK - IFTTT has now gone as much as four hours before they trigger my doorbell and as you may guess that is not acceptable. Does anyone have a way to integrate SKYBELL with Control4 or any other remote speaker that I don't have to do something else? I hated RING because you had to subscribe to get missed videos. I like SKYBELL a lot - it notifes my watch and cell phone immediately but I need it to notify the house.

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, TexasBill said:

OK - IFTTT has now gone as much as four hours before they trigger my doorbell and as you may guess that is not acceptable. Does anyone have a way to integrate SKYBELL with Control4 or any other remote speaker that I don't have to do something else? I hated RING because you had to subscribe to get missed videos. I like SKYBELL a lot - it notifes my watch and cell phone immediately but I need it to notify the house.

I have the same issue, but with an RCA/Hikvision Doorbell Cam.  Trying to figure out how to trigger house events.  I am also running Zoneminder which can capture motion events, but not the doorbell push.  Any clues?

On 2/27/2017 at 4:41 PM, cdepaola said:

Ring absolutely works without a subscription. The subscription only gives you access to recorded video if you miss an alert or event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the process of ditching my Ring Pro due to the delays in seeing video.  Literally a 50/50 shot if the video will work when someome is at the door.  

On 2018-02-16 at 9:45 AM, TexasBill said:

Triggered how? IFTTT is as reliable as the services that connect with it. If a company integrates and their server isn't good that is where the delays come from not IFTTT itself.

i'm not loving my ring either.  It is hooked up and working, but it takes way to long for the video to come up on my phone.  I have also noticed if they don't push the button hard enough it doesn't actually ring.  I just get the motion detection alert.  and Yes you have to pay to see the history. The live feed is free.

i'm thinking about a ceiling cam above the door and maybe something like the ELK doorbell kit.  Full disclosure, I"m not even sure that will work as I haven't thought about it in detail or mocked anything up with my dealer.

Archived