C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendation: Door Bell / Camera

1 hour ago, Adidaswood said:

i'm not loving my ring either.  It is hooked up and working, but it takes way to long for the video to come up on my phone.  I have also noticed if they don't push the button hard enough it doesn't actually ring.  I just get the motion detection alert.  and Yes you have to pay to see the history. The live feed is free.

i'm thinking about a ceiling cam above the door and maybe something like the ELK doorbell kit.  Full disclosure, I"m not even sure that will work as I haven't thought about it in detail or mocked anything up with my dealer.

I dumped my ring as well. The video quality was horrible and to pay monthly for it was not making sense.

switch to the DS2 mini. Would love to get the Video app working but it is nice to get an instant snap shot of who is at the door. most of the times its just ups.

As to your questions you could do a camera and elk kit no problem. however unlikely the camera will not have a intercom. I would suggest looking at the DS2 mini as well its worth the money in build quality and should only get better when the app finally comes to light.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using a Holovision Doorstation with a 2n Video Kit

http://www.eholovision.com/products/model-424/
https://www.2nusa.com/en_US/products/intercoms/2n-helios-ip-video-kit

100% functional within C4.  I can program off the press of the button.  I get video/voice calls to my c4 touchscreens and my mobile devices (I can also set up calls to tablets and desktop computers if desired)

took me a few years to find this winning combination, may not be cheap, but it works 100%.

17 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

100% functional within C4.  I can program off the press of the button.  I get video/voice calls to my c4 touchscreens and my mobile devices (I can also set up calls to tablets and desktop computers if desired)

took me a few years to find this winning combination, may not be cheap, but it works 100%.

Found this based on your comment.

56 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Found this based on your comment.

Yes that was my original review.  At the time I was using the VIO hardware not the 2n kit.  Intercom agent was updated in a recent OS update and the driver for VIO is not being updated anymore.  vio is holovisions hardware.  So holovision beta tested 2n video kit to pair with the holovision doorstation and it works.  

VIO was working pre OS upgrade but couldn’t call cell phones.  The new hardware can call cell phones.  I was able to rewire in the field to swap from VIO to 2n video kit 

39 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Smart. What's the ballpark cost all in?

Not being wise but really do not know.  I was part of beta testing each item and got stuff at cost direct from holovision. 

I have to figure somewhere around 1000-1500 retail?  Holovision has tons of models and some are smaller and cheaper (no camera or no IR or analog cameras not IP, etc) so prices can certainly vary.  I see the 2n kit for sale for about 500-600 online.  So then add the holovision hardware (faceplate, camera, speaker, mic, power Supplies, etc)

holo is not showing the 2n option on their site for c4 - still says VIO but they don’t sell a ton to c4 channels so likely just forgot to update their marketing.  

Given the now perfect c4 intergration and dozens of options in finishes and styles and features I am surprised it’s not discussed more as a 3rd party solution 

I've been very happy with the Doorbird. Integration with C4 is great, they have been doing a great job of updating the app and adding features, and the flush mount looks great (always a big plus with the wife). The only issue I have is that the video quality is not the best...only 720p. DS2 does look great though if they get all the features working. 

Just an update of what I have working now.  I have a Hikvision Doorbell Cam (RCA Variant).  It connects to the mechanical chime, so all good.

I also have a GE Motion Detector by the Door.  So I just created an announcement which plays a chime when someone is on the front port (motion detector range).

I am also running ZoneMinder so it was pretty easy to grab a jpg snapshot via URL from the doorbell cam and add it to the announcement.

So now Sonos mutes if playing, the announcement (chime) goes off in all rooms, snapshot pops up on all navigators, and sonos resumes if it was playing.

Pretty sweet.

All this because I wanted to avoid paying ring $3 or $10 / month to see doorbell history videos.  I am much happier. 

Also, there is no lag on the videos.  And no "having trouble connecting to Ring" message 50% of the time.

Hi!

Which options do I have if want a video doorbell that does not need LAN/POE and operates with integrated WIFI?
Sadly I only have a power connection nearby and pulling a POE/LAN to that location would require a whole retrofit af that area.

thx

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 1:44 PM, THEORY said:

Triggered how? IFTTT is as reliable as the services that connect with it. If a company integrates and their server isn't good that is where the delays come from not IFTTT itself.

I have disconnected IFTTT and the doorbell is now wired directly to Control 4. Wonderful results. Instantaneous notification - I get notified if you simply come up to my front door (my choice.

Happy to be back in the realm of reliable.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:38 AM, rea said:

I've been very happy with the Doorbird. Integration with C4 is great, they have been doing a great job of updating the app and adding features, and the flush mount looks great (always a big plus with the wife). The only issue I have is that the video quality is not the best...only 720p. DS2 does look great though if they get all the features working. 

Are you using announcements with Doorbird? I'm having an issue that even my dealer isn't able to fix. Announcments are not always working.

On 5/10/2018 at 3:12 PM, eggzlot said:

What is the benefit of using a Holovision with the 2n ip video kit? Is this basically like making your Holovision work with the same drivers as the new C4 doorstation? You just liked the way the holovision looked? Any other benefits?

15 hours ago, Zuhair said:

Are you using announcements with Doorbird? I'm having an issue that even my dealer isn't able to fix. Announcments are not always working.

I am using announcements (a chime over my speakers) and haven't had any issues with that since my system was put in (~1 year ago). I'm on 2.10.1 with an EA-5 as the director. Is your announcement just not playing, delayed or both?

Does it always play if you hit "execute" from Composer HE?

4 hours ago, BraydonH said:

What is the benefit of using a Holovision with the 2n ip video kit? Is this basically like making your Holovision work with the same drivers as the new C4 doorstation? You just liked the way the holovision looked? Any other benefits?

back in late 2015 you can from the link in a post above that I got a holovision doorstation.  Holovision has its own hardware called VIO.  VIO is their sip hardware/interface.  There was a driver written by houselogix to make VIO work in C4.  great.  Took 1-2 revisions of the driver to get full functionality but it worked.  When C4 upgraded their communication agent, either 2.9.x or 2.10.x or whatever, they changed SIP communication standards and thus, the driver for VIO stopped working.  Houselogix is not supporting drivers anymore (do not get me started there) so all the sudden, VIO didn't work and I had an expensive and useless paperweight for a doorbell.  

Holovision is big with Crestron and some other players but want to get more into the C4 space, so to retrofit current clients plus find a way for longer term stability for C4 they decided to look at 2n Helios due to the partnership between 2n/c4 (I assume, I dont work for any of these players).  2n has always had decent c4 integration, they make the c4 doorstation, etc.  So I guess its a "safer" bet to continue to work.  I was able to make the field change and remove the VIO and add in the 2n kit.  I guess if you went to buy holovision today and said you have c4 they would spec their faceplate/mic/camera/speaker unit and it would be powered by a 2n video kit as the SIP communication tool.

Most 2n offerings are too futuristic for me, I wanted something traditional/classic looking, so the 424 model for Holo fits the bill.  I believe Doorbird looks the part but there is a limit (at least there was in 2015) as to how many calls it can make at once, so it could only call a few touchscreens/cell phones and that was not appealing to me.  

End of day, it is a mismash of two platforms but it has the look my wife wants with the function we want (calls unlimited touch screens/cell phones/computers/tablets at the same time) and I can program events within C4 when someone presses the doorbell.  I could also program against motion events and other types of events as well.

I do not have Composer Pro, I am just an end user.  I think my 2n driver is slightly different from the "c4 doorstation driver" but I am sure 98% of it may be the same.  Someone else with more knowledge would have to chime on the various drivers involved.

8 hours ago, rea said:

I am using announcements (a chime over my speakers) and haven't had any issues with that since my system was put in (~1 year ago). I'm on 2.10.1 with an EA-5 as the director. Is your announcement just not playing, delayed or both?

Does it always play if you hit "execute" from Composer HE?

Announcements are not always playing. I set an announcement agent to play over 6 zones.

It's playing when executed in the agent setting, in programming sometimes it's not executing.

17 hours ago, Zuhair said:

Announcements are not always playing. I set an announcement agent to play over 6 zones.

It's playing when executed in the agent setting, in programming sometimes it's not executing.

How are you trying to execute the announcement? Do you have a 2 wire doorbell push button tied to an IOX? or do you have another kind of smart doorbell? I think you mentioned Door Bird which could be a driver issue or wifi issue with that which causes it to work intermittently. Perhaps taking the contact out of the door bird into an IOX would be more reliable.

Also not sure if you are aware of this but cinegration did a huge doorbird update 2-3 weeks ago. Are you sure your on the latest and greatest driver?

https://www.drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/camera-intercom/doorbirdv2/

Oh and also to add to that I wouldnt expect announements to work unless you have all Control4 Audio Gear. That includes matrix, amps, ect...

For example an announcement will never work perfect on a Sonos, Russound, Nuvo or stuff like that. The only way it will be near perfect is with all C4 gear. I have spent many an hour trying to get them to work right on Russound and its just never going to happen.

7 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Oh and also to add to that I wouldnt expect announements to work unless you have all Control4 Audio Gear. That includes matrix, amps, ect...

For example an announcement will never work perfect on a Sonos, Russound, Nuvo or stuff like that. The only way it will be near perfect is with all C4 gear. I have spent many an hour trying to get them to work right on Russound and its just never going to happen.

I have C4 amp and audio matrix.

Doorbird is wired to the switch.

Announcements are not always working, it works sometimes, especially when the visitor press the button twice.

I'm suspecting the announcement setting or the WAV files.

I tried changing the wav files with no luck.

I agree with Braydon that it sounds like it's a Doorbird issue with Control4. I did have a brief time where there was a driver problem and once that was updated, everything was fine. I'd second the recommendation to double check that your driver is up to date. 

Also, I assume you are getting notifications on the Doorbird app each time it's pressed? 

I agree with Braydon that it sounds like it's a Doorbird issue with Control4. I did have a brief time where there was a driver problem and once that was updated, everything was fine. I'd second the recommendation to double check that your driver is up to date. 
Also, I assume you are getting notifications on the Doorbird app each time it's pressed? 

Yes I updated to the new driver released two weeks back, and yes I'm getting doorbird app notification everytime the button pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2018 at 2:50 AM, Zuhair said:

I have C4 amp and audio matrix.

Doorbird is wired to the switch.

Announcements are not always working, it works sometimes, especially when the visitor press the button twice.

I'm suspecting the announcement setting or the WAV files.

I tried changing the wav files with no luck.

Have you tried lengthening the start delay of the announcement. Start with a delay of 1 second per zone (E.g. if you are playing the anyone,ent though 6 zones, try a 6 second start delay).  If that is rock solid, shorten the delay to half a second per zone (this works for most gear).  If that is still rock solid, try 250 milliseconds per zone.

• 5 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 4:09 PM, TexasBill said:

I have disconnected IFTTT and the doorbell is now wired directly to Control 4. Wonderful results. Instantaneous notification - I get notified if you simply come up to my front door (my choice.

Happy to be back in the realm of reliable.

Can you tell me how you have this wired. Looking to integrate my Skybell with Control4. Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, Rbeard said:

Can you tell me how you have this wired. Looking to integrate my Skybell with Control4. Thanks for the help!

It is simply a contact switch. When closed it is sensed and the announcements occur.

Archived