C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Plug Switch suggestions

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, mallom said:

I think he was talking abou this driver. I have never used it, so I have no idea if it works.

Ramorous_IP_Belkin_WemoPlug.c4i

Yes - I am talking about that driver and it works a treat. NO issues. Every time. MUCH more reliable for me than that Control4 wall wart, and much smaller as well. and WAYYYYY cheaper.

Is there a dimmable WeMo outlet with C4 drivers available (free or paid) that would be a good replacement for the C4 wireless outlet dimmer?  My quick perusal of Belkin's site shows dimmer switches, and switched outlets, but no dimmable outlets.  I have lamps I want to be able to dim, and the cords/outlets are all hidden so I don't care what the solution looks like, as long as it works reliably.  Looking for anything cheaper than the Axxess lamp dimmer.

Is there a dimmable WeMo outlet with C4 drivers available (free or paid) that would be a good replacement for the C4 wireless outlet dimmer?  My quick perusal of Belkin's site shows dimmer switches, and switched outlets, but no dimmable outlets.  I have lamps I want to be able to dim, and the cords/outlets are all hidden so I don't care what the solution looks like, as long as it works reliably.  Looking for anything cheaper than the Axxess lamp dimmer.
No there isn't

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, livitup said:

I would strongly suggest the Caseta Pro Bridge and the caseta lamp dimmer. It won't be cheap but it is rock solid. Free drivers and you can buy them on ebay/amazon/home depot etc

I would strongly suggest the Caseta Pro Bridge and the caseta lamp dimmer. It won't be cheap but it is rock solid. Free drivers and you can buy them on ebay/amazon/home depot etc
For 3-5 devices I don't think it's worth it. Just my .02

13 minutes ago, mallom said:

Or Lutron/Insteon... but really want to avoid the C4 -> bridge -> device conga line.  Been down that road before and get bitten when the bridge or device manufactures change things and break compatibility with C4.

eBay shopping for C4 outlet dimmers is looking good right about now.

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

For 3-5 devices I don't think it's worth it. Just my .02

Agreed 100%.

But after he purchases the bridge, he will be able to expand his lighting system by 49 devices that will keep working even if C4 is down. That makes it worth it IMO.

2 minutes ago, livitup said:

Or Lutron/Insteon... but really want to avoid the C4 -> bridge -> device conga line.  Been down that road before and get bitten when the bridge or device manufactures change things and break compatibility with C4.

eBay shopping for C4 outlet dimmers is looking good right about now.

IIf you find it for super cheap, I guess it will be the best option. 
I don't think they are able to dim LED bulbs. Not sure.

23 minutes ago, mallom said:

IIf you find it for super cheap, I guess it will be the best option. 
I don't think they are able to dim LED bulbs. Not sure.

My experience has been that they'll dim, but the "leakage current" is still going through them, so they never really turn all the way off.

Thankfully they still make "high efficiency" non-LED bulbs that work.  For the < 10 lamps in my house that I'm trying to automate, I'll eat the electricity difference.

Yes, and have been discussing that with a dealer.  Great product, but overkill for my particular needs.  I could see them being "nice to have" for about 3 of my 10 dimmers, but "total overkill" for the other 7.  If there was a lower cost, lower featured, uglier, but cheaper outlet dimmer that did C4 ZigBee without a hub, I'd be all over it.

On 03/12/2017 at 1:19 PM, msgreenf said:

Alan's we only driver. It can be purchased on driver central and I can help

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We now have 4-5 different outlet drivers.

TP-Link HS1xx driver (our latest) - https://www.chowmainsoft.com/tplink-hs1xx-smart-wifi-outlet-control4

Belkin Wemohttps://www.chowmainsoft.com/belkin-wemo

Orvibo Wiwo S20https://www.chowmainsoft.com/orvibo-wiwos20

Generic Relay Driver and Generic Lighting Driver (for ir controlled outlets and on/off devices) - https://www.chowmainsoft.com/generic-relay-driver and https://www.chowmainsoft.com/generic-lighting-driver

• 9 months later...

I'm trying to decide whether I should get WEMO's and Alan's driver or add something like a VeraPlus to my EA5 so that I can have any z-wave device. The benefit of the VeraPlus would be that I can use it for other things like locks.

Anyone have an comments or suggestions to help with my selection?

I have had the vera and its slow and not guarenteed to turn on/off a device. Guess its zwave mesh needs to be strong as well. But the time delay is the real no go for me. Took it out and got more c4 dimmers. All works seamlessly as i wanted now. Worth the extra on c4 hardware for speed

Archived