C4 Forums | Control4

Programming best practices?

tims

Hey guys,
I know you can answer some of this. I just want to be sure I am following best practices>> So I have tons of keypads in a house I am working on but I seem to be running into issues and I just want to be sure I am doing this right: Here is the typical setup

58baa356b2a70_Screenshot2017-03-0406_18_59.thumb.png.0703819d75b5b4b6680511d2d7b13cf1.png

with the Music setup i see to have two issues:

1:  after a couple of weeks of no use the music buttons have to be reprogrammed by going into the room and choosing pandora again and the music station. The code is exactly the same but just need reprogrammed to work again. Not sure whats up with this...

2:, How should the LED setup be configure on this? The setup shown above is what I thought would work but does not turn the color on the botton or does music have to be set to keypad then I program the colors accordingly?

OFF BUTTON ISSUES: Last issue is OFF. It would seem that programming the OFF button would be as simple as telling the room to go off which would then automatically turn all lights and music sessions off in the room but as of now I have to tell the room on the off command to turn off each light. Am I missing a global room binding of some sort?

Thanks guys

1 no idea. That works fine for m me.

2. You have to put button color programminh in your code. The connection is bound and music is not bound but programmed.

3 room off is a media command. Lighting off is different. Create an advanced lighting scene of all off and trigger that.

That said making music a toggle on off and having off for lights only is how I would do this.

Gotcha. Can you screenshot a sample of music toggle? There are # of rooms in this house with music. Whats the best practice there? Everyone says to avoid media scenes.. Thanks for your help

Gotcha. Can you screenshot a sample of music toggle? There are # of rooms in this house with music. Whats the best practice there? Everyone says to avoid media scenes.. Thanks for your help

Not perfectly shown in composer but like this.

On press (and possibly single tap for day-to-day Usability)

If room on

> turn room off

> set button color blue

> stop

If room off

> source Pandora station ( you know this bit)

> set volume to default normal volume for room

>Unmute

> set button colour green

> STOP

You could also double tap and triple tap to additional favourite Pandora stations.

I'm guessing on the up and down you have volume ramp and stop ramp on press and release.

Also think about a double tap could be skip on the up and mute on the down

Also for completeness you may want to move the keypad button light rules to under the event room on / off

So if the music is turned on from an app not the keypad the keypad indicator blue green follows along.

Hey guys sorry. The "real world" has a way of reminding you that we are only human. Will get to a guide with screenshots tomorrow and will post in my guide thread. SMHarman is correct about setting the led control to the room state. G'night all.

Happy Automating!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived