C4 Forums | Control4

Ideas Needed for a Room

I started with my C4 system just over a year ago with a couple of dimmer switches and an audio matrix switch.  For the past year, I've had very basic functionality with the desire to do much more.  I recently finished my basement and was able to add some hardware to my setup that will hopefully let me do a little more now.  Specifically, I built a dedicated theater and I'm hoping to add some cool functionality to the room, though it still might be basic for most of you. :)  I've read through plenty of threads on this website to get me excited about things, but I'd like some input from some of you to give me some direction for my system.

As a sidenote, my friend is a C4 dealer and I don't leverage the relationship for free programming services, but I do have access to a computer with Composer Pro to make changes to my system at any time.  I've played with Composer Pro a bit, but I don't know nearly as much as I want to, hence the reason for this post and my hope that some one you will help.

My current hardware is as follows:

• Controller - HC-800
  • Five Dimmer Switches - Perimeter lights for coffer that surrounds room, center light above projection screen, ceiling cans for bright light, floor lights, and an LED rope light tucked behind some crown molding.
  • Marantz SR7011 Receiver
  • Epson 6040UB Projector
  • Control4 6x6 Video Matrix (C4-LU642L-KIT) - Primary source for the room will be a Fire TV that is already added in Composer
  • Control4 Remote - I don't know the model number and am not onsite right now, but I believe it's the second to latest version

A few things that I have thought about wanting to do but don't know if they're even possible are as follow:

1. Dimmer switch for perimeter lights - keep the existing on/off functionality.  When the top button is double-pressed, also turn on the center light above the screen that has its own switch.  When the bottom button is pressed, turn off the perimeter lights only.  When double-pressed, turn off the perimeter lights and the center light.
  2. When a light switch is double-pressed (or even triple-pressed if possible for the same dimmer switch above), turn on the perimeter lights, turn on the projector (I don't know if my projector can be network controlled), and switch video source to Fire TV.
  3. If any lights are on in the room, I'd like to press a button on the remote that turns off all lights.
  4. I'd like a second button on the remote to turn on the projector and go to the Fire TV as the source.  If the projector is already on because I triggered it on one of the dimmer switches, I'd like for it to already know that.

I'm not sure what's possible, but I'd love your input.  More importantly, I'd greatly appreciate any guidance in how to make these things happen in Composer.  I understand that there might be a lot that goes into this and one person may not have all answers or the time to provide them.  Any help is appreciated!  Thank you!

16 hours ago, burowyako said:

1. Dimmer switch for perimeter lights - keep the existing on/off functionality. When the top button is double-pressed, also turn on the center light above the screen that has its own switch. When the bottom button is pressed, turn off the perimeter lights only. When double-pressed, turn off the perimeter lights and the center light.
    1. Yes, there is programming triggers for double and triple taps of the dimmers
  2. When a light switch is double-pressed (or even triple-pressed if possible for the same dimmer switch above), turn on the perimeter lights, turn on the projector (I don't know if my projector can be network controlled), and switch video source to Fire TV.
    1. Can program off the double taps to do source selection and triple tap to do another source, also double/triple tap bottom to turn lights and room AV off. Maybe program when the room turns off the lights turn on and then after 2 minutes all the lights turn off so you have light to be able to exit the room then it will turn off automatically? More beneficial if you turn the room off with the remote than the dimmer but will close the loop eventually when you turn it off with the dimmer. Lots of ways to do this
  3. If any lights are on in the room, I'd like to press a button on the remote that turns off all lights.
    1. Pause turns lights on to a set percentage and play turns them back off if they are at the specific percentage? Alternatively when you press pause turn the desired light/s on and start a 5 minute timer and when you press play if the timer is running it will turn all the lights off
  4. I'd like a second button on the remote to turn on the projector and go to the Fire TV as the source. If the projector is already on because I triggered it on one of the dimmer switches, I'd like for it to already know that.
    1. If the remote has the room in question selected it will know the room is already on and will know which source is selected

I'm not sure what's possible, but I'd love your input. More importantly, I'd greatly appreciate any guidance in how to make these things happen in Composer. I understand that there might be a lot that goes into this and one person may not have all answers or the time to provide them. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Programing of the dimmers, go to programing tab, you select the dimmer on the left as the triggered event you want to edit, find what you want it to do in the right. and drag it to the middle section which is the list of actions the button will do

58bd905338cb1_ScreenShot2017-03-06at11_36_07AM.thumb.png.92686b73fc238648332601607d99b2f2.png58bd90510da02_ScreenShot2017-03-06at11_35_30AM.thumb.png.553ea9ebb4e9a6a26a662a10771f5760.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 9.37.26 PM.png

Also, i did this so the room know when the dimmer turns the room on vs an interface (remote, app, tp). Sorry, this was done before I had a chance to play with string variables so it is a bit crude, but it works and i dont really have a need to make changes. The remote controls commands are found in the room not the remote itself since a remote can change rooms BTW

58bd914528a88_ScreenShot2017-03-06at11_39_46AM.thumb.png.e8e7edfc45f0bc076f2dd8fe7f5dc259.png

@sonic30101, I really appreciate your input.  I'm not a programmer but I think that I follow what each of your examples are doing.  I now have several questions that I hope I can get answers to.  Forgive me if I'm all over the place, but I'm kind of excited. :) 

1. What is the difference of a button being pushed versus a single tap?  I suspect that a push takes longer than a tap, but is there a defined difference?  Without any programming, it seems that a tap turns the lights on or off.  If I modify the pushed or tapped programming, does that change the default behavior?
  2. When you triple tap your Theater Dimmer, it looks like you change the video source but don't trigger any other devices to turn on other than the lights.  Do you have your A/V equipment turning on in another place?
  3. As you mentioned, you're using variables to see if an interface versus a dimmer was used.  Can you provide examples of how the different variables are used in your build?
  4. I see that you have a Kodi device listed in your build.  What fun stuff can you do with Kodi and C4?  I have Kodi on a Fire TV and I was just planning on controlling the Fire TV using the C4 remote.  If there is a way to trigger C4 actions or scenes when I press the Play button in Kodi or something like that, I would love to hear about it!
Thank you very much for your help!

1 hour ago, burowyako said:

@sonic30101

1. What is the difference of a button being pushed versus a single tap? I suspect that a push takes longer than a tap, but is there a defined difference? Without any programming, it seems that a tap turns the lights on or off. If I modify the pushed or tapped programming, does that change the default behavior?
    1. Usually if the button is on a keypad not tied to a light, pressed is used to invoke volume up and release stops it so you have smooth ramping instead of a pulse that you have to mash like a crazy person. I think it will continue to control the light in addition to the programing on single tap
  2. When you triple tap your Theater Dimmer, it looks like you change the video source but don't trigger any other devices to turn on other than the lights. Do you have your A/V equipment turning on in another place?
    1. Selecting the source is all you need to do, c4 will do the routing to turn the proper devices and do input changes if set up properly
  3. As you mentioned, you're using variables to see if an interface versus a dimmer was used. Can you provide examples of how the different variables are used in your build?
    1. The way I use the room is if room is turned on from the dimmer I am at the entry way so I want the room to turn the light on, room on to appropriate source and turn back off when double/triple tap so I have time to sit down with the lights on and they go off automatically
    2. turning on with interface turns the lights off no delay because I am likely already sitting
  4. I see that you have a Kodi device listed in your build. What fun stuff can you do with Kodi and C4? I have Kodi on a Fire TV and I was just planning on controlling the Fire TV using the C4 remote. If there is a way to trigger C4 actions or scenes when I press the Play button in Kodi or something like that, I would love to hear about it!
    1. It does a ton, media navigation of movies/music from on screen or touch panels, same for some of the video and audio addons. There are tons of things, more than I can go over or that I even utilize https://www.houselogix.com/shop/kodi-entertainment-center-full-xbmc 
    2. Button presses on the remote dont have to be done through the kodi driver, it is in the desired rooms programing. you can trigger events when a button like play/pause etc is pressed
    3.  58bf17bdc94a9_ScreenShot2017-03-07at3_26_52PM.thumb.png.df577b8583ef5559927c681f2b5568b3.png
Thank you very much for your help!

@sonic30101, I really like the way that you're using the variables; that's a cool idea!  I'll have to play with the settings on the remote once I figure out how to program the buttons.

Now that I know that events can be triggered with dimmer switches, is it possible to program an event to change the audio source to my Sonos Connect, open Spotify and play a certain playlist?

Also, any recommendations of how to add volume up and volume down functionality to a dimmer switch?  I understand that a different device would be better for this, but I'm just curious if it could be done.  Would it be possible to hold the up/down button and increase/decrease the volume?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I promise that I'll put all of this to good use and report back!

Yes-ish... With the old sonos driver and older firmware you could. With the new one if the playlist is a favorite then you can trigger it. Not too sure how well the vol+,- would be in addition to controlling the light load. A keypad dimmer would definitely be an improvement and moving that dimmer to another spot you would like to be automated 

I've tried to play a little with the Device Events and the only options that appear in the Select Media menu are playlists that are built in C4 or anything related to Pandora.  Any ideas of how to get anything related to Spotify on my Sonos Connect to appear?

On 3/9/2017 at 1:11 PM, burowyako said:

I've tried to play a little with the Device Events and the only options that appear in the Select Media menu are playlists that are built in C4 or anything related to Pandora.  Any ideas of how to get anything related to Spotify on my Sonos Connect to appear?

Any thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, burowyako said:

Any thoughts on this?

Sure - you don't. At least not under media.

Only favourites will work - and you select them via the Connect itself (assuming you are using the new driver - as Spotify is dead on otherwise on Sonos).

Meaning, select Sonos as a source, then select the favourite on the Sonos.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Sure - you don't. At least not under media.

Only favourites will work - and you select them via the Connect itself (assuming you are using the new driver - as Spotify is dead on otherwise on Sonos).

Meaning, select Sonos as a source, then select the favourite on the Sonos.

Thank you for your reply.  Are you saying that I can view the favorites from the Connect in C4?  If so, how?

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Like I said - select the Sonos you want to use in programming - the rest should be pretty self explanatory.

Sorry for the newbie questions.  When I select the device that I want to program on the left and the Sonos Endpoint on the right under Device Actions, nothing is jumping out at me.  The current driver that I have for the Sonos Connect is shown in the picture.  Is there a newer driver that I should be using?

Sonos Connect Driver.JPG

You may want to do some forum searches on Sonos and Spotify first, the old driver (lates version bein 8.1.3) is deprecated. It still works for some services, but not for some of the most popular - including Spotify. The new driver (in actual partnership with Sonos) is quite different (other verbs could be inserted as well). At the same time, there is no telling when the old driver will 'break' further/completely.

Make sure you are up to speed before you start (and potentially waste your time)

It's worth noting that you can completely disconnect the buttons a dimmer from controlling the load and essentially turn it in to a keypad. I have done this in my home in two locations. Depending on multiple variables (which are indicated by the color of the LED's on the dimmer) it controls one of a couple different lighting loads, lighting scenes or room volume.

Everything you want to accomplish can be done easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived