C4 Forums | Control4

Can I use C4 to control a step motor via RasberryPi

russell perry

Question

I'm just doing some research at the moment but is it possible to control a motor via raspberry pi through control 4?

The problem - open a window mechanism when the temperature rises to a set value and close when it drops below a set value.  Thermostat is a NEST system

If yes, would there be a pre-built driver out there?

If no,  could you recommend other options?

Thanks for any advice

5 answers to this question

I highly doubt that there's a "pre-built" solution for this.  Lots of folks have tried, and lots of folks have failed.  There's a few crowd-funded projects out there, but none have C4 drivers yet, that I'm aware of.  It's conceivable to do this via a Raspberry Pi, but you wouldn't want to control the motor directly.  You're thinking too "low level".  The software on the Pi needs to know when the blinds are "up" and when they're "down" and, potentially, rotational orientation.  From C4's perspective, you would set the "desired state" to up or down and the rPi software would handle getting the blinds into that state.  I've thought about making something like this at some point for my own use, but haven't really gotten beyond the conceptual stages.

Is it necessary to use a Pi? There are other small iot devices that could achieve this. A simple python or lua script with a chip that has wifi and a simple http command set could work.

I am currently working on a prototype modular system to control a 32 or more zone radiant heat system and its zone valves. Could me modified to control a motor. Does your motor need speed control or just power to open and then power to close?

Happy Automating!

On 07/03/2017 at 3:02 PM, VINCELdUB said:

Is it necessary to use a Pi? There are other small iot devices that could achieve this. A simple python or lua script with a chip that has wifi and a simple http command set could work.

I am currently working on a prototype modular system to control a 32 or more zone radiant heat system and its zone valves. Could me modified to control a motor. Does your motor need speed control or just power to open and then power to close?

Happy Automating!

Thanks VINCELdub 

There's no real necessity to use a Pi, thats just my default starting pointing. 32 zone heating system? That's big! Would be interested to hear how you did this and what you used.

Russell

I think you could do this by hitting a python script with the Generic TCP driver for C4.  Create a Python script on the Pi that does this and make it accessible to the web UI - you will need to be running Apache or another web server to do this.

Archived