C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade options

AJ_

I have a HC-250-BL-1 running the show. I also have a HC-500, HC-300 and a HC-200 (in master bedroom). I experience some slowness every now and then. Would a HC-800 help in this senario? As I understand it, I will need to keep the 250 as the primary controller.

Alternatively, will I better off getting a HC-800-BL-1 and replacing my primary controller instead? I'm guessing since this would run director, it would faster than the above config.

I'm not interested in upgrading to EA series yet.

Thanks,
Aj

You would be looking at the EA5 not the HC800.  And it would be better to make this the Primary Controller, must faster than your current setup.

As for 'not interested in upgrading to EA series', not sure how you would get the HC800 (ebay maybe), but I wouldn't throw good money after bad, considering the warranty lapse.

Hc-800 will give you much better performance than the hc-250 if you make it the primary controller.

I made the same upgrade about a year ago. PM me if interested in an 800...I have one sitting around. BL-1

1 hour ago, BPFUNK said:

Hc-800 will give you much better performance than the hc-250 if you make it the primary controller.

I made the same upgrade about a year ago. PM me if interested in an 800...I have one sitting around. BL-1

dont think you provide enough information.  how strong is your infrastructure/network.  Did you test your zigbee mesh signal?  on paper the 800 is faster than the 250.  but if your network stinks, does not matter which controller, you may not see vast improvements

if network is fine and so is your zigbee strength then yes the 800 would give you a boost over the 250 so have the project running on the 800 not the 250.

Achoudhary, Eggzlot is right!  You provided the least amount of information possible for any of us to decipher what is in your environment.  All we know, so far, is that you have 4 controllers located in your Master Bedroom.

'guessing since this (HC800) would run director, it would be faster than the above config'.  What config?  Those are components in your C4 setup, not a config of how your project is laid out. 

'experience some slowness every now and then'.  Tells us nothing.  When did it start?  Did you start seeing performance issue after a latest OS update?  Maybe a piece of network equipment was replace. 

Final NOTE:  'can anyone answer the specific question I asked?'  Not unless you plan on providing as much information about you overall C4 setup and environment (network, number of devices, etc.)  All of us are happy to try and help you identify a potential problem in your 'config', but please provide as much information as to allow for a true answer to your initial question. 

Thanks everyone for your replies. 

I apologize for the minimal information I have provided as well as a delay in this response. It's been a busy weekend with my family. 

Basically, I have a decent size setup with the HC250 and HC500 in the rack with multiple audio matrix amps, a wireless music bridge and almost 50 switches all over my house. The rack is in the basement, wireless bridge in the study on one side of the house on the first floor. On the second floor, the master bedroom has an HC200. I used to have multi room video setup with a HDMI matrix but I had some issues and it is now offline until I have some time to look at it again. 

I notice the system slows down every now and then. So lights may turn on a little later than the usual after a button press - especially the table top switches that turn lamps on using an outlet dimmer. 

The WMB is really of concern because music streaming over Bluetooth stops playing abruptly. This may be TIDAL or the WMB but Tidal is not an issue when using the native app in my car. 

I wanted to know if I could add on a HC800 as a secondary controller to some advantage. Or does it make sense to only get an HC800 as a primary controller? 

EA-3s are still out of my current budget. I may get there eventually. 

AJ

Thanks everyone for your replies. 

I apologize for the minimal information I have provided as well as a delay in this response. It's been a busy weekend with my family. 

Basically, I have a decent size setup with the HC250 and HC500 in the rack with multiple audio matrix amps, a wireless music bridge and almost 50 switches all over my house. The rack is in the basement, wireless bridge in the study on one side of the house on the first floor. On the second floor, the master bedroom has an HC200. I used to have multi room video setup with a HDMI matrix but I had some issues and it is now offline until I have some time to look at it again. 

I notice the system slows down every now and then. So lights may turn on a little later than the usual after a button press - especially the table top switches that turn lamps on using an outlet dimmer. 

The WMB is really of concern because music streaming over Bluetooth stops playing abruptly. This may be TIDAL or the WMB but Tidal is not an issue when using the native app in my car. 

I wanted to know if I could add on a HC800 as a secondary controller to some advantage. Or does it make sense to only get an HC800 as a primary controller? 

EA-3s are still out of my current budget. I may get there eventually. 

AJ

Adding ad a secondary controller won't likely do anything. Most likely you need it to be primary controller.

Is a the WMB connected to the 200?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what it is connected to but it's definitely not to the 200. 200 is isolated to master bedroom TV and audio. 

The HC250 does not have any audio outs, right? I'm not sure I can check how it is connected but it's probably going to the HC500 or HC300 in the rack. One of these is streaming from Tidal or other sources. I can check in the AM. 

I'm not sure what it is connected to but it's definitely not to the 200. 200 is isolated to master bedroom TV and audio. 

The HC250 does not have any audio outs, right? I'm not sure I can check how it is connected but it's probably going to the HC500 or HC300 in the rack. One of these is streaming from Tidal or other sources. I can check in the AM. 

250 has audio outputs.

Just thinking if wmb is the main problem it could be due to distance between the WMB and BT phone?

Does it still happen when phone is fixed next to WMB

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hmm. Yes I have seen that happen but this also happens when using airplay. The music just stops playing. Streaming services are affected while playing music off my NAS are not. 

The raproxyd service/process is at the top of the list and consuming high CPU/memory resources. If I kill it, it fixes the issue. 

• 2 months later...

Added an HC-800 early this week as primary controller. Also up to 2.9.1. I'm not having any of the issues above anymore. Streaming is pretty smooth. It's been only 2 days. I hope it lasts. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived