C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Echo or Siri?

DBFL

Sorry for this being a repeat form category, but I've scanned through the posts and didn't see my questions.   Is there a way to use the Amazon Echo to do tasks such as turning on the TV and/or a specific channel, playing music, etc.  Also, anything that allows the Siri to do the same?  I've seen the videos on You Tube where this is done, but can't find any directions or info on how.

So AV components aren't represented in HomeKit at all right now, which means using Siri "naturally" the way you'd really want to won't work.  You can't say "Siri, turn the TV on to channel 9"... because Siri doesn't know about TVs and Channels and movies names, etc, inside a HomeKit context.  The best you can do right now is setup "virtual switches" (folks have used various drivers to accomplish this, including the Legacy Clipsal Switch free driver) for particular actions you want to accomplish.  I have a "switch" in my office that starts playing my favorite Pandora station.  So I can say "Siri, turn on work music" and it'll do that (the switch is named 'work music') and I can say "Siri, turn off work music" and it'll shut the room off.  I know other folks that have experimented with putting LOTS of these switches in place to be able to say "Siri, turn on channel nine in the theater".  They have all their favorite channels listed as named switches in the appropriate room.  But that really clogs up the Home app, if you ever want to look at that.

Bottom line, until Apple gets their act together and includes true AV support, doing that kind of thing is hacky in HomeKit at best.  On the other hand, for the devices that HomeKit supports natively (lights, dimmers, fans, garage doors, etc), my solution works GREAT.

Archived