C4 Forums | Control4

My EA-5 (director) seems to have died... Typical that this happens on a Sunday morning. I literally have no control of anything anymore :-(.

I have tried rebooting everything etc.  What I do see is that there is an exclamation mark on the front of the EA-5 which is flashing yellow, red and off (black) does anyone know what this means? Within 5 minutes of re-booting it was just flashing red and black. I suspect it means: "you are stuffed - contact your dealer first thing on Monday morning and get a new EA-5".

Help!

There's 4 status LED's with different colours so your problem is described by which LED is ON, flashing, or OFF.  I'll send you a PM.

From what you described, it sounds like a factory restore was attempted and failed :(

I'm available to my customers 24/7, especially in situations like this one. Don't underestimate your dealer's willingness to help you in an emergency. And no, this is not impressive, he's just doing his job and keeping a customer happy. 

Well I'm impressed by both of you, so thank you!

it has been interesting having a Sunday when my wife and two older daughters have been away and Ive been looking after a 2 year old with no TV (Teletubbies, Barney etc.) as a diversion. 

Probably a good thing as we have rediscovered lego and books 

;)

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have the emergency box - it as all the remotes in ?

How this does scare the living delights out of me 

Yeah... I pulled one remote out to turn a TV off that was on when the controller died... naturally the batteries were flat so I had to change these.  I did consider getting other remotes out but all our video sources are centrally located and I have no idea how to manually change things on the matrix... so I gave up on TV for the day. The idea of running up and down stairs while I pressed buttons on various remotes downstairs to get things happening upstairs was not appealing!

As a complete aside, the top button of most of my keypads is set to follow load so should (as I understand it) still work when the controller is off... Half of them work just fine.  The other half don't work at all. I think the reason is that we have two Zigbee servers or coordinators (or something) because we found we had to share the load at some stage.  The other zigbee (something - server, coordinator, zapper or whatever) is an HC800  which is still turned on and I am guessing this is what is stopping the other half of the lights from functioning...? A bit strange! That HC800 is on a UPS high up in the garage so I can't be bothered to get a ladder and turn it off to prove my point... if my dealer does not sort things out tomorrow then I will do this tomorrow night as no lights in half the house is a pain!

Just realised that the backlights are on bright on all they keypads in my bedroom... they should have dimmed when the lights went out... sleep will not be easy tonight.

Would be so nice if one could have a back up controller that, at the push of a button, takes over as the director for times like this... I have two HC800s as well as my EA5, a couple of EA1s and HC250s so plenty of firepower! But the General is incapacitated (make that emasculated!)

So my dealer thought that a factory restore would fix this but no such luck... I have a brick.  Or at least, I had a brick... he has taken it in to the local distributor (country rep or whatever) and I will hear on Wednesday whether they can fix it or replace it... so now it is becoming annoying!

You don't realize how much you get used to lights turning on when you walk into a bathroom or BIC... and no TV is a disaster etc. etc.

Unfortunately he did not... which I found very irritating...

I did suggest moving it to one of the HC800's. Apparrently that is a 'big' job and I will lose some functionality (which I understand as I am probably using every available output and input on most of my controllers...)

My understanding is that he will do this on Wednesday if he does not simply get a new EA5 from Control4 that morning.  I can live until Wednesday but not much beyond then. Very irritating lieing in bed with all my keypads back lights on full brightness (which lights up the whole room and hinders sleeping)... clearly I am a very sad camper at the moment! 

It is also my eldest daughter's 18th birthday party (at our house) on Saturday evening so he has fully committed to getting the theatre and outside speakers all working by then even if we don't get a new EA5... I am praying that C4 simply gives a new EA5 and saves the hassle of lots of interim fixes!

Archived