C4 Forums | Control4

Xiaomi Mi Box

rus_teee

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

just got back from HK and picked up one of the boxes to play around with. Yet to unpack, but havent had much of a response on integration capabilities at this point. I think IR might have to be the go, anyone had a go with that like the above?

The one that you have may be slightly different than the one sold at Walmart.  I believe there is a Chinese one and an international one - but I don't know how they are different.  Other than the language of the UI but perhaps that isn't an issue for you.

Cheers for that Zaphod. I have an old Harmony Remote at home, so i might learn it into the Harmony and then across to the EA-3. What functions of the IR do you get that arent on the remote control itself?

The UI language shouldnt be a concern as it's android and you can change the languages. It was set up in the Mi Store in HK running in English so that was comforting. 

I am not sure if there is any additional functionality when you use a remote with more buttons.  I think you basically still just use the Nav buttons to move around.  There might also be ways to automatically start certain apps if you are always using the same app.

These boxes also work as Chromecast receivers which may be useful as well.  But for some reason I can't seem to find the Control4 App in the Google Play store to install that.

I feel the Android  TV platform needs to get some official support in C4 now that it is getting more common place with TV's and Media Players like NVidia and Xiaomi. Rooting and using Lanmote unfortunately doesnt cut it since the OS keeps having updates....

On 9/29/2017 at 7:54 PM, rus_teee said:

I feel the Android  TV platform needs to get some official support in C4 now that it is getting more common place with TV's and Media Players like NVidia and Xiaomi. Rooting and using Lanmote unfortunately doesnt cut it since the OS keeps having updates....

I completely agree. Would really like to use an Nvidia Shield in my theater room to run as a streamer and my Plex client, but it seems the integration is somewhat lacking for this device right now. Having an IP driver that worked as well as Roku/Fire integration would make things really nice. 

25 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Did you guys see the discussion on the front page of the main forum regarding an Unofficial Nvidia Shield driver?

I did now---thanks for the heads-up. 

Looks like a good start and may consider giving it a try, but still seems a bit shy of a proper/official IP driver. 

Archived