C4 Forums | Control4

C4-KA Auxiliary Keypad Wiring

We are having problems wiring a three-way switch. The C4-KA has three wires. Blue/White, Yellow, and a ground. it is not clear on the diagram provided by your company. could you please help?I have a regular 3 way switch that i want to substitute with your "auxiliary" model, which by the looks of it, would be compatible with a three way wiring set up. thanks...standing by with electrician...

attached is the instructions for a standard switch. the aux keypad wiring to the switch is on page 3. 

from what i understand (please tell me if i'm wrong others who know), you cannot use an aux keypad with a non-c4 switch on the other end of the leg. the yellow wire carries the signal to trigger actions on the normal keypad. 

390203_en.pdf

8 minutes ago, Derek Stewart said:

We are having problems wiring a three-way switch. The C4-KA has three wires. Blue/White, Yellow, and a ground. it is not clear on the diagram provided by your company. could you please help?I have a regular 3 way switch that i want to substitute with your "auxiliary" model, which by the looks of it, would be compatible with a three way wiring set up. thanks...standing by with electrician...

Again, and no not trying to be troublesome, but I'm not sure what else you need beyond the diagrams provided with the dimmer/switch? It will NOT work the same as a 'normal' multi-way switch - install the (C4!) dimmer (or switch) fully functional first, ignoring it's yellow wire - then use the remaining wires for the AUX.

If it's a 'normal' wiring setup, there will be a location that has power coming in (ie 14/2 with a ground, neutral and hot), a 14/3 wire (ground, white, red, black) going to the next location, which has the feed out to the light(s) with another 14/2. How the dimmer is installed will depend on at what END it's installed, but regardless, you SHOULD have a neutral passing through and one wire (either black or red) unused - which then goes to the yellow wires....diagram 6 on the dimmer instructions, diagram 4 on the switch one...

23 minutes ago, Derek Stewart said:

We have a normal c4-sw12077 on one end, with a normal three-way switch on the other end. This works fine, but the three-way has to remain in the ON position at all times. We are attempting to replace the normal three-way switch, with the C4-KA.

Yes - so the C4 switch isn't properly installed....start there.

Pull out the C4 switch and the switch at the other location.

remove standard switch from wiring.

tie the red travel wire (that goes from one box to other box) to the yellow on the C4 switch and the yellow on the Aux keypad.

this is all based on the assumption that power feed and load feed are located at the C4 switch location. 

Sounds like the hot/line (power in) is coming in where the 3way/AUX is going and the load (power out to light fixture(s)) is at the switch side.  

Tie the blacks together behind the AUX and send that hot direct to the switch and then white/blue to all neutrals yellow to red and green to all grounds. 

change your electrician, I think he is might be color blind? can't read instructions? can't read instructions in English? not electrician? just an idiot? choose one option and try other guy. :)

Just now, Thatguy230 said:

Why bother with the aux it's pretty much useless. I used a configurable keypad in place of the aux switch and now I have extra buttons I can program against. Just my opinion. 

exactly what i did. i bought several C4-KA switches pulled from a site on ebay. i use them to fill the spots of switches that do nothing (eg, fan switch in the guest room.. there's no fan)

• 10 months later...

Ok, so what if you don't have a nuetral at the C4-KA side? I have.....

2 black (line and load)

1 red (traveller from the switch)

Is the blue/white to Neutral required? 

How could I possibly not have a neutral. This electrician the builder used SUCKS. I also have a 4 gang with 4 circuits in it. I didn't even think that would pass inspection. 

Archived