C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa - clarification questions

Hi all,

Just some clarification questions on integrating Alexa with my system. Out the box integration is great can do lighting and well the one advanced scene I had (never used them).

Which is what lead me to my questions:

1. The documention / video is pretty simple so if there is a better more detailed document let me know. I am ask for reading and learning.

2. So if I want to arm my alarm (like in the video) do they do that with scenes or is there something else they use to do this.

I am going on the fact I can only call services that are discovered?

3. I have LED strips behind my TVS now I am using the generic LED driver and it is working well. It is named TV LED PURPLE / TV LED GREEN etc, if I say "Alexa, turn TV purple on" it actually performs my command but then says device not responding - eh?

Was thinking about simple things like turning on my TV, going to my favorite channels etc can you do this or is this out of the realm of the possible for the integration right now?

Maybe there is a different driver with better integration? If so what do you Alexalights recommend?

It is easy to do all of those things with the Echo driver from www.epic-systems.com, and our driver is much more reliable, you won't get those constant "device not responding" errors because our driver makes a direct (non cloud) connection on your local network.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

It is easy to do all of those things with the Echo driver from www.epic-systems.com, and our driver is much more reliable, you won't get those constant "device not responding" errors because our driver makes a direct (non cloud) connection on your local network.

Ok bought the driver, yup this is the deal. Really nice driver @chopedogg88 good work. You guys got plans to update for things like Thermo, Alarm proxies etc?

Love the default On off etc

On 3/26/2017 at 6:49 PM, chopedogg88 said:

Hey there, I would be interested in hearing about this drive.  Do i need to purchase this from you?  How?  Im also not a dealer, possible to remotely apply the driver to me?

Do you need to install the voice scenes driver if using the" epic-systems.com" driver.

I am about to integrate  Alexa in my project and want to make sure or am I better to first install via C4 with discoveries etc.

Watch both videos and not clear on the set value ( lights, volume )

Thanks

Do you need to install the voice scenes driver if using the" epic-systems.com" driver.

I am about to integrate  Alexa in my project and want to make sure or am I better to first install via C4 with discoveries etc.

Thanks

No. Voice scenes is used by control4 native integration not epic systems

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, prabeau said:

Thanks

As @msgreenf said no need for the voice scenes. I used both the Epic Systems one is a billion times better in my opinion it has far more profitability, be-careful what you wish for though cause you have to do all the programming. Were as the built in driver already has some logic in it.

6 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

As @msgreenf said no need for the voice scenes. I used both the Epic Systems one is a billion times better in my opinion it has far more profitability, be-careful what you wish for though cause you have to do all the programming. Were as the built in driver already has some logic in it.

I don't mind doing the programming depending on the learning curve. I watched the videos and do have a couple of questions. I guess I will go ahead and have the dealer install 

the driver and will take up the challenge when I get back up north.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, prabeau said:

I don't mind doing the programming depending on the learning curve. I watched the videos and do have a couple of questions. I guess I will go ahead and have the dealer install 

the driver and will take up the challenge when I get back up north.

Thanks

Programming isnt the issue its good old normal programming its just the time to do it ;)

The programming is pretty easy.  Each device that you create for the Alexa driver can have four commands - On, Off, Up or Down.  From there the programming is pretty simple.  And you don't need to spend the $100/yr for 4sight.

You probably know this already but Alexa isn't directly supported in Canada but that isn't too much of an issue, you just have to tell it your location when asking for stuff like weather as in "Alexa, what's the weather in Montreal".  You might want to set your default location to something like Plattsburgh.  And I don't think Alexa can parlez vous francais yet, but it can spechen sie deutsche.

Not a big deal but it would be nice if they would support Canada and I wouldn't think it would take much work, at least not when it comes to English.  But maybe they are waiting until they get French down as well.

But it would be nice to say "How long will it take me to get to XYZ" or to order an Uber or get restaurant suggestions without having to specify an address.

Just now, zaphod said:

Not a big deal but it would be nice if they would support Canada and I wouldn't think it would take much work, at least not when it comes to English.  But maybe they are waiting until they get French down as well.

But it would be nice to say "How long will it take me to get to XYZ" or to order an Uber or get restaurant suggestions without having to specify an address.

No kidding, as long as we don't have to get new hardware for Canadian access. :)

Archived