C4 Forums | Control4

Multi zone amplifiers

Looking for recommendations on using multi zone amp with C4 matrix.  Of course looked at the C4 amps but there are others like Audiosource, Episode, etc.  that are slightly less money.  Also have about 12 zones so would need most likely 2. 

This will definitely come down to the quality of sound you would like to hear. All of us here could speculate and give you recommendations. But first question should be, what type of speakers will you be powering with these amplifiers? From here, we can make recommendations. Episode has proven to be reliable lately. Control4 amps are nice because they look the same. And then you get into things like the sonance SONAMP DSP8-130 for example. That will blow your socks off. Or at least ruffle your hair from the ceiling speakers.

Happy Automating!

This will definitely come down to the quality of sound you would like to hear. All of us here could speculate and give you recommendations. But first question should be, what type of speakers will you be powering with these amplifiers? From here, we can make recommendations. Episode has proven to be reliable lately. Control4 amps are nice because they look the same. And then you get into things like the sonance SONAMP DSP8-130 for example. That will blow your socks off. Or at least ruffle your hair from the ceiling speakers.

Happy Automating!

Except for one zone of outdoor speakers all will be origin acoustics in ceiling 8"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. If they are going to be large driver speakers like that. I would recommend making sure you have the extra power and headroom. If we were to do one speaker per channel then two episode 70w per channel amplifiers should do the trick. If you have it in the budget, I would still recommend going up another step to the DSP series amplifier from Sonance. But that of course is just my opinion. I find that the better the amplifier, the better the speaker sound. I hope enabled me very low and speakers sound amazing with a good amplifier and equalizer. Sonance has this built in.

Happy Automating!

42 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I presume that the multi-zone amp has to be left on 24x7 to be used properly with C4.

Depends, you can trigger by relay or use input sensing - how well that works depends on their own respective response times

For older boxes that still consume quite a bit of power in standby mode, you can also switch power off with a wattbox unit. Newer amps are typically quite efficient and stay cold in standby mode. But I 2 have older "monster" B&K multichannel amps that need to be powered off. Works well with wattbox via Control4. 

4 hours ago, istreich said:

For older boxes that still consume quite a bit of power in standby mode, you can also switch power off with a wattbox unit. Newer amps are typically quite efficient and stay cold in standby mode. But I 2 have older "monster" B&K multichannel amps that need to be powered off. Works well with wattbox via Control4. 

I have the B&K also and I do try to power off when i can.  Have you successfully used the sensing and auto off input settings on yours with Control4?

Archived