C4 Forums | Control4

C4 for Kids

So My 2 year old is starting to understand how to work with things and is even taking to Alexa (for the week I have had it - sigh...) However I was thinking what do you guys do for your little ones.

For example my little one has about 4 movies (In Plex) I was trying to find a easy way for her to just one button and it starts the movie and turns off etc. But then we add Plex into the fray and it becomes as complex as anything.

Wanted to know what you guys have done around this (those with kids and those that programmed for kids)

I havent tried this yet, but I have a sonos play3 in my sons room and based on if it is running I engage/disengage silent mode which intercepts the doorbell announcement through ceiling speakers and flashes the lights/sends a push notification to the phones. Havent done a ring pro doorbell yet...

Alexa voice scenes for their favorite movies at the current time.  Right now, mine are Moana, Trolls and Sing.  Kids just ask "Alexa, turn on Living Moanna"

I use MyMovies with Dune players.  In my programming script, I select that movie to play in the living room, but also add some timer delays to push select upon Language setting and then another delay to actually skip the previews and start the dang movie.

It works pretty slick and the kids love it.

Their bedrooms have in-ceiling speakers, but no Alexa, so I used a keypad button that selects Kidz Bop from Pandora and set it to a defined volume level that they can't change.

That's really all I've done for them so far.  Keeps 'em happy.

Alexa voice scenes for their favorite movies at the current time.  Right now, mine are Moana, Trolls and Sing.  Kids just ask "Alexa, turn on Living Moanna"

I use MyMovies with Dune players.  In my programming script, I select that movie to play in the living room, but also add some timer delays to push select upon Language setting and then another delay to actually skip the previews and start the dang movie.

It works pretty slick and the kids love it.

Their bedrooms have in-ceiling speakers, but no Alexa, so I used a keypad button that selects Kidz Bop from Pandora and set it to a defined volume level that they can't change.

That's really all I've done for them so far.  Keeps 'em happy.

OK so I am thinking the same thing then bunch of delays to filter through Samsung smart TV OR my Roku Stick (I just bought) till I get to Plex. Then more delays to go to menus -> select movie. Press play.

I feel your pain Monna, Trolls mine still does that dam purple dinosaur!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

A single button or Alexa to start a movie - kids these day are spoiled.  

"When I was your age I had to walk 10 miles through 3 feet of snow, uphill - both ways, to the video store to rent a crappy VHS tape, then walk to the VCR, insert it, tune the TV to channel 3 and press Play"  

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

"When I was your age I had to walk 10 miles through 3 feet of snow, uphill - both ways, to the video store to rent a crappy VHS tape, then walk to the VCR, insert it, tune the TV to channel 3 and press Play"  

And don't get me started about rewinding...

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, zaphod said:

Dang,

You had a TV.  I remember listening to AM radio around the fire.

I swear that I am the only one who ever rewound.

I would also rewind. If not, they'd take your head clean off with the penalties...I'd lose two weeks allowance in fees if I forgot! Ha ha. The good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived