C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor lighting HELP

Hi all,

I have my house almost fully automated HOWEVER the one problem Im having is landscape lights. I used a lamp outlet to try to control them and set timings, however, since it is enclosed in a metal box outside, it cant get control of it. Is there a work around for this? I had a friend over this weekend who commented that I had full automation but I had to manually adjust my outdoor lights. Drove me nuts that he commented on it.

TIA

no clue. Its literally a plug that plugs into a household timer that I set manually. Its enclosed in a metal box for weather proofing. I assume even if I upgrade it, it would still be in the metal box which is the limitation I believe.

4 minutes ago, annex⁴ said:

You could use something like the following link to integrate using extra zones on a sprinkler controller.

https://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/IC_ProC_PXSYNC_dom.pdf

Very cool but I switched out my Hunter for a Rachio. Also the location of the rachio is on the complete opposite side of the transformer for the lighting. 

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

Could you put a C4 switch on the circuit that feeds your light transformer.  That way at least you get ON/OFF control with scheduled settings, etc.

very interesting thought. problem is that also feeds ALL of my outdoor outlets and my garage outlets. That would be a problem. 

Are there any outdoor C4 outlets which would work in the rain?

Here's what you do. Unplug it. Cut the power cord in half and put a c4 switch in between the plug and the transformer inside the box. The switches have better radios. 

Or try a zigbee extender although I do not like to rely on those 

21 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

very interesting thought. problem is that also feeds ALL of my outdoor outlets and my garage outlets. That would be a problem. 

Are there any outdoor C4 outlets which would work in the rain?

Well, that shouldn't matter really.  You can still install a switch just for that outlet and still continue full 120V to any other outlets that are in-line after your landscape outlet.

I've also used some plastic, outdoor rated boxes with no degradation of wireless control.  Usually the ones with the clear plastic coverings.

34 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

Very cool but I switched out my Hunter for a Rachio. Also the location of the rachio is on the complete opposite side of the transformer for the lighting. 

It's a Hunter part but by no means requires a Hunter Controller.

I have a Lutron Caseta switch in one of those outdoor plastic boxes also. It works perfectly about 50 yards from my media cabinet down at my pool using the Lutron Bridge/C4 driver. Not bad for $60 

Archived