C4 Forums | Control4

Transferring C4 account

nsp

Hi everyone, 

I was fortunate to buy a home that had Control 4 automation already installed. I contacted the dealer that did the installation to have the account changed into my name, and he said that it would cost 1000$. This seems quite high to me. Apparently this includes the transfer of the account, as well as lifetime phone support, programming and software updates, but no hardware failure. Since I know nothing about control 4 yet, I wanted to know if this is a reasonable price. I will do some reading, but I wanted to get this up ASAP as it controls all the TVs, audio zones, house temperature, security, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

Well I just clarified with the company, and they did not even install the Control 4 system. Their 1000$ includes support for the A/V, security and heating, but he tells me that the control 4 was installed afterwards... I'm curious now as to how everything is set up. 

I did the same thing when I got my house ! All we did was log into the control 4 account and change all the credentials over to my name and email and so on the only thing we left was the project name cause it would be a mess .. didn't cost a dime .. get one of the dealers on this site to log in and get you setup $1000 is nuts 

20 minutes ago, kajphotos said:

I did the same thing when I got my house ! All we did was log into the control 4 account and change all the credentials over to my name and email and so on the only thing we left was the project name cause it would be a mess .. didn't cost a dime .. get one of the dealers on this site to log in and get you setup $1000 is nuts 

As mentioned, the $1000 doesn't even have anything to do with C4 at all - sounds like it's a warranty/workmanshio transfer - probably includes checking and fixing any setup issues which makes it much more reasonable - that said, if they didn't do the C4, not sure why you'd bother regardless.

Money up front is a red flag.  Obviously you did your homework and found out they weren't the installers.  You can find a reputable dealer on this site to help "renovate" your C4 system remotely.  I happen to be one of them.  Or.... since you're resourceful, try to find a local dealer with a good reputation.  They can walk you through your system.  An account transfer is free.  You need to understand the system a little better before hiring someone to customize it to your equipment and needs.  There are fee's for certain upgrades, 4sight licence (remote access to your C4 system), new driver's, etc, and it may cost a bit of a dealer's time, but not $1000 up front.

Just to make sure, he said that $1,000 is to transfer but also for lifetime phone support, free upgrades, programming and support?  Call me crazy, if I could pay $1,000 and get all the programming, upgrade and phone support I want for the life of the relationship I'd do it.  Am I reading that correctly?  To just transfer and look at your account that is a rip off.  Hardware failure is protected by the warranty from C4 or whoever manufactured the device so that seems fair.

Now if he is going out of business and takes your $1,000 and you get no support for the "lifetime" then yes its a rip off. But if the company has good reviews, a long reputation in the area and you are paying a 1 time fee for phone support, programming and OS upgrades, I dont think that is a bad deal if you plan on being a heavy user who is adding a lot of functions and features.

Archived