C4 Forums | Control4

HC 250 Issues

All,

I seem to be having issues with an hc250, and could use some input/insight, as I'm not sure exactly what is happening or if the hc 250 is bad.

As a part of my c4 setup, I have a leaf 4k video matrix. I have a hc800 as the primary controller, and then two HC 250s. One of the HC 250's is hooked up to the kitchen tv (with a leaf balun). The other HC 250 is hooked up to the master bedroom tv (with a leaf balun). The video matrix distributes three different direct tv boxes to all the tvs (let's call them DTV 1, DTV 2, and DTV3).

The issue I am having is the following: This morning when I went to go turn on the kitchen tv, as soon as I hit watch DTV 1, I heard two beeps come out of the ceiling speakings. The picture was showing on the tv, but there was no audio. This was the same case for DTV 1, DTV 2, and DTV 3. I have had this happen once or twice before, but it's been a little bit. Anyway, I figured I would reboot everything (hc 800, amp, leaf hdmi matrix, network, etc.). I've done this before and it has always worked. Upon reboot, I notice that picture and audio for DTV 1 and DTV 2 in the kitchen are working, but when I go to DTV 3 in the kitchen, I only see picture and no sound. At this point, I'm perplexed, and try going to DTV 1, DTV 2, and DTV 3 in the Living room. All three work perfectly for picture and sound. I even do the same thing in the master bedroom (remember this is on its own hc 250), and DTV 1, DTV 2, and DTV 3 all work perfectly again.

At this point, it appears something is going on with just the HC 250 in the kitchen. I confirmed this by testing DTV 1, DTV 2, and DTV 3 in the office as well (the office tv is controlled by the HC 250 in the kitchen as well). Basically, the same exact thing happens that happened in the kitchen. DTV 1 and DTV 2 work great for picture and sound, but when I go to DTV 3, there is a loud static/garbled noise, and then no audio.

I then tried rebooting the Kitchen HC 250 to see if that would help. Unfortunately it didn't. I decided to try it one more time, and this time it did work.....or at least I thought so. Upon reboot, DTV 3 had picture and audio with no problem. I then tested DTV 1 and DTV 2 in the kitchen, and all I get is picture...there is a brief static/garbled noise, and then silence. I figured I would try rebooting the Kitchen HC 250 one more time, because maybe something wasn't getting rebooted all the way. Upon reboot, DTV 1, DTV 2, or DTV 3 have only picture and no sound....except for two beeps followed by a garbled noise from the ceiling speakers upon turning on DTV 1, DTV2, or DTV 3.

Am I dealing with a bad HC 250 or am I missing something? The leaf matrix driver was updated to version 297 the other day, but again DTV 1, DTV 2, and DTV 3 work perfectly on all other tvs, including the master bedroom tv with a different hc 250.

Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of amplifiers are you using? Does your leaf matrix strip the audio out of hdmi and feed the amp or are you home running the audio out from thw tv back to the rack? Under normal hookup the hc250 wont have anything to do with this issue. Likely a sound setting on the dtv box where it is pumping out dolby and not downmixing properly?

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

What kind of amplifiers are you using? Does your leaf matrix strip the audio out of hdmi and feed the amp or are you home running the audio out from thw tv back to the rack? Under normal hookup the hc250 wont have anything to do with this issue. Likely a sound setting on the dtv box where it is pumping out dolby and not downmixing properly?

@sonic30101It's a C4 16matrix channel amp. If I recall correctly, the audio for the kitchen is analog, and comes from the audio out of the 4k leaf matrix switch into the amp, and then from the amp to the kitchen ceiling speakers. The same thing is the case with the office speakers.  I don't think it's a setting with DTV 3 box, because it works on other tvs connected to the system. 

Got everything fixed. I think it had to do with me playing around with the leaf matrix switch calibration on Sunday night. I was attempting to get HDR to pass through the matrix switch from the ps4 pro, and re-calibrated a bunch of different times with the ps4pro switched on. I think somehow the driver got hung up/queued on something in the process.

Good news is it's fixed. Bad news is that I still can't get the Ps4 Pro to recognize that my tv is capable of HDR.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

Archived