C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa / Control4 / Austria

1 minute ago, HOMECINEMAS said:

msgreenf  Yes I can activate Alexa, but if I try to open the Skies, i can not found Control4 ...

vstar Ok I will try this.

myself and many others have used it successfully in Canada (not officially supported).

when i initially set it up it was very temperamental and i think i had to try setting up the control4 skill at least 3 or 4 times (doing nothing different) before it took. i vaguely recall others reporting the same issue in an old thread when the skill first came out. i will see if i can find that thread for you. hopefully after several retries it will work for you also?  

also presumable you know this already but the native control4 driver/skill require a current 4sight subscription.

FYI (in case you were not aware) there is a 3rd party driver that does not have this limitation that you may not have seen? this driver was written prior to the native support by control4. 

https://www.epic-systems.com/products/amazon-echo-driver-for-control4

4 hours ago, vstar said:

https://beebom.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-amazon-echo-outside-us/

keep in mind that it only understands English.

Are you sure?  Alexa has been officially supported in Germany since last September.  Therefore I would have to think that it would understand German.

I am guessing that one of the things holding back support here in Canada is support for the French language.

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

Are you sure?  Alexa has been officially supported in Germany since last September.  Therefore I would have to think that it would understand German.

I am guessing that one of the things holding back support here in Canada is support for the French language.

sorry I stand corrected. I did not realize they started supporting other languages other than English. And yes you are most likely correct about the French thing. Surprised they didn't do Spanish after English.

7 hours ago, HOMECINEMAS said:

Yes ALEXA understand and support GERMAN, the problem is only to activate my Account with ALEXA and the C4 Skill...

To the best of my knowledge Alexa C4 skills are currently only available (certified) for the USA, UK and Ireland

@HOMECINEMAS - Why not use the Epic Systems C4 driver.  I don't think it requires the same "official" support that the C4 driver does - I have been using it in Canada for many months, and it doesn't require a 4sight subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
In my Customer's House are 8x Amazon Echo's.
In each Room and each Floor are one Amazon Echo.

In each Floor and each Room are Systems with TV, Netflix, DVD....etc.

How could this work?
If I stay in the Living Room and want to Watch DVD.
So I say:
-Alexa "Turn On DVD"

Will all "8" DVD Players are turning on in the House - in every Room?
What can I do, to Turn on only the DVD Player in the Living Room?

Thanks

HOMECINEMAS . . . Doesn't work that way.  You will need to specify a key word for each device (i.e. - living dvd, master dvd, etc.).  Once Amazon allows for multiple accounts on the echo, then you would be able to assign separate accounts to each Echo and do exactly what you want (from a more generic command). 

3 minutes ago, zaphod said:

To be honest the DVD issue is no different than lights.  You can't just say "Alexa turn on the light".  You have to specify which light, at least you do in the Epic Systems driver.

you have to specify which lights in all implementations (even basic wemo/hue without C4)

I don't think it is a big deal to specify exactly which one, but your client may feel differently.  I have gotten quite used to saying "Alexa turn on kitchen counter lights" or "Alexa, bedroom blinds down".

Anyhow - this is has been one of the most requested feature enhancements since the Echo was introduced - in homes with multiple Echos for Alexa to know which Echo you are talking to and take that into account in the commands that you issue.  But for some reason Amazon has yet to add that feature.  But there are still reasons to want to control stuff in another room.  It can take your AV equipment 30-60 seconds to all turn on, warm up, boot up, etc.  So I will occasionally want to turn on my Media Room AV, which is in the basement, before I go downstairs so that it is ready to go when I get there.

Archived