C4 Forums | Control4

Begginers help

Hi all 

I was wondering if any one could help me with infomation or drawings please , i am thinking of installing a standard C4 tv n audio install but not really sure what i need i just want to watch any of my devices on upto 4 tvs n possible install speakers at a later date , its only a small house , im also an electrician so can install cables no problem , just want to know what the cheapest way of doing a standard install is

Thanks Dan  

Simply put at a minimum:

Run everything back to a central location, if that location is NOT where your outdoor feeds some in (cable, phone etc) run at least 4CAT6 and 4 Coax between the two locations.

Run 2 CAT6 wires from each TV location you may possibly want now or later

Run 2 CAT^ to any closets or other likely locations you may want local gear (Bluray players for easier access, or game systems

Run speakerwires to where you possible want speakers to be, for surround run at least the front to go down the wall even if initial intend is ceiling.

Run at 2-3 CAT6 to your/any garage/shop in addition to planned TVs or networking locations

And/or conduit for all the above

Run networking to one or two ceiling locations on each floor for best WiFi coverage if you can.

Now go over everything you've done, and try and think of any other locations where TV/sound would be nice down the line.

As for 'cheapest' - stop thinking that way and you'll end up a lot cheaper.

Hi

Thanks for replying to my post , i was hoping i could do the install with a 4x4 hdmi matrix switch and take a hdmi to each tv as the longest run to a tv is about 10 meters 30ft or do i need cat6 at each tv still , and which is the best control4 controller for the job please

Thanks Dan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You will always need/use Cat6 at some time. I have 2 50', 1 75' and a 100' HDMI cable installed and they all work perfect with not issues. Just buy good cables and should be all set there. I don't recommend HDMI over 100'. After you run everything look again and add more stuff for the future, I sure am wishing I ran more to more locations, remember Cat6 is cheap.

control4 remotes do not have IR blasters so use the other cat cable ran for IR/Serial/LAN control and while you are running 1 cat you might as well run a second in case the hdmi gets damaged or just a spare or hardwired LAN depending on access to the tvs

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Simply put at a minimum:

Run everything back to a central location, if that location is NOT where your outdoor feeds some in (cable, phone etc) run at least 4CAT6 and 4 Coax between the two locations.

Run 2 CAT6 wires from each TV location you may possibly want now or later

Run 2 CAT^ to any closets or other likely locations you may want local gear (Bluray players for easier access, or game systems

Run speakerwires to where you possible want speakers to be, for surround run at least the front to go down the wall even if initial intend is ceiling.

Run at 2-3 CAT6 to your/any garage/shop in addition to planned TVs or networking locations

And/or conduit for all the above

Run networking to one or two ceiling locations on each floor for best WiFi coverage if you can.

Now go over everything you've done, and try and think of any other locations where TV/sound would be nice down the line.

As for 'cheapest' - stop thinking that way and you'll end up a lot cheaper.

This pretty much covers everything.

If you can use HDMI cables from the matrix to the TVs, do it. But don't forget to run the CAT6s to the TVs for upgrades.

At my house I used (for each TV):

- 1 HDMI (50, 75 and 100ft)
- 2 CAT6 for upgrades

- 2 CAT5 for DATA and IR (I prefer IR for TV control)

- in some locations I ran a RG6 just in case.

- And a 16/4 for Stereo in ceiling speakers;

Totally overkill, but that was how I wanted.

Don't forget to run some CAT5/6 and maybe a 22/4 for your alarm panel and at least 1 Cat5 where you may want to power a in wall TouchScreen or iPad.

Thanks but i dont have a clue what half the cables are lol , i wont be connecting an alarm its just for tv use mainly n music , ill use cat 5 as well thanks but what happends if u dont have cat5 for IR does that mean it can only be switched on by the tv remote control , so do i just need a c4 controller , matrix hdmi switch and a Amp .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived